Bedline jeep pics

Peak

I bedlined my Cj7 with the Duplicolor Kit. It took a lot longer than expected and didn't come out as great as I thought. When you do it, make sure you mix the bedliner with a drill if you can for a good amount of time, I think my directions stated 20minutes but I failed to do so which caused it to come out crappy. Spray on looks a lot cleaner imo.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1449362152.654753.jpg
I plan to do it to my JK eventually but I will have it professionally done.

jedg

This is our 95 YJ... we used Monstaliner and it turned out great. Did it 3 years ago and still looks like new. No chips or such. Prep work is key.

YJ.jpg

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I bedlined my Cj7 with the Duplicolor Kit. It took a lot longer than expected and didn't come out as great as I thought. When you do it, make sure you mix the bedliner with a drill if you can for a good amount of time, I think my directions stated 20minutes but I failed to do so which caused it to come out crappy. Spray on looks a lot cleaner imo.
View attachment 176242
I plan to do it to my JK eventually but I will have it professionally done.

Thanks Peak. I was thinking what you said might happen to me if I tried it.

WJCO

Meme King
WJCO,
Great tips. How much time did you spend prepping and applying the herculiner?

I don't remember exactly, but I think about six hours. I used a palm sander for a lot of it with 220grit I think. then on the curves, just by hand. Then a lot of acetone on a rag. Each coat took about 30 minutes I think, 2 coats total. Has to dry between coats. I did it in the summer. I think I allowed and hour between coats but don't remember for sure. I found it easier to brush it on rather than roll it on. The chemical smell was in there for about 2-3 weeks, fyi.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1449411147.833623.jpg

This stuff is supposed to be good. If you get the right kit it comes with the gun and you spray it on. I have zero experience with it though.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I don't remember exactly, but I think about six hours. I used a palm sander for a lot of it with 220grit I think. then on the curves, just by hand. Then a lot of acetone on a rag. Each coat took about 30 minutes I think, 2 coats total. Has to dry between coats. I did it in the summer. I think I allowed and hour between coats but don't remember for sure. I found it easier to brush it on rather than roll it on. The chemical smell was in there for about 2-3 weeks, fyi.

That helps me a lot. Just trying to decide if it is worth it to do or pay someone else.

jedg

jedg,
That looks nice. How long did it take?

Thanks! My wife helped (a bunch, this is her jeep). The prep work is what took the longest, probably 4 hours to remove everything from the tub. Another 8 hours of sanding and cleaning. The application of the monstaliner took a total of 4 hours counting mixing, application of first coat, waiting, application of final coat. We then let it dry for 3 days before reinstalling stuff into the tub.

We used a combination of sanding pads for a drill and wire brushes for a drill to get the tub down to mostly metal. Then vacuumed and washed with soap and water. Dry. Sand any spots we missed. Clean again. Then clean twice with MEK (methyl ethyl ketone). Then apply first coat. Wait prescribed time and apply second coat.

WJCO

Meme King
That helps me a lot. Just trying to decide if it is worth it to do or pay someone else.

The estimate I got for Line-x on my 4 door WJ was 900 total parts/labor IF I removed the seats and trim. So for me, the time-consuming work was well worth it. It's not hard but time-consuming. Truthfully, I think any spray-in will look better, but for the 100 bucks we spent on the Herculiner kit, we are more than happy with the results and the 900 dollar savings.

jedg

The estimate I got for Line-x on my 4 door WJ was 900 total parts/labor IF I removed the seats and trim. So for me, the time-consuming work was well worth it. It's not hard but time-consuming. Truthfully, I think any spray-in will look better, but for the 100 bucks we spent on the Herculiner kit, we are more than happy with the results and the 900 dollar savings.

Yep... same here, it's not difficult, just time consuming.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Sounds time consuming but worth it in the end.
Thank you for your responses. I'll post pics once I'm done.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
This was my 83 CJ7
1.jpg

I initially used Hurculiner and while it turned out looking great, it was probably the biggest mistake I made. As I have said on this forum before, the Hurculiner faded quickly, was impossible to clean, and in the extreme heat around NM where I was at the time, it would become tacky even 6 months later. It looked like crap in a very short time and I had to completely strip it and redo the bedliner in about 8 months. I am the type of guy who doesn't even mind a little body damage every now and then, but when I am done wheeling I clean my rigs up. I want them to last a long time and look good. It was impossible to clean the bedliner. I cannot put into words how dirty and crappy it looked all the time, even before it faded. The second time around I used, I think it was Raptor liner or something like that. Although it didn't fade as quickly, it was still faded in about a year. I also had the same issues with it being dirty all the time and not being able to clean it properly. At least the second one didn't get tacky when hot though. It did still, however, look like crap. Even dirt foot prints couldn't be cleaned off of it.
Sound deadening was not important to me at the time, as I ran with the top off and doors off almost year round. I can tell you that it offered zero insulation and every hotspot on the floor of the CJ was felt in the feet. I am not trying to discourage the OP, just sharing my experience with bedlining the tub of my Jeep. I would personally never do it again. Because carpet does not really fit into my lifestyle I now run Bed Tread in my current rig and although its not perfect, it is the best product I have used to get what I need.

IMG_5207.jpg
IMG_5206.jpg
IMG_5208.jpg
IMG_4002.jpg
IMG_4006.jpg

2Cross

Caught the Bug
This was my 83 CJ7
View attachment 176414

I initially used Hurculiner and while it turned out looking great, it was probably the biggest mistake I made. As I have said on this forum before, the Hurculiner faded quickly, was impossible to clean, and in the extreme heat around NM where I was at the time, it would become tacky even 6 months later. It looked like crap in a very short time and I had to completely strip it and redo the bedliner in about 8 months. I am the type of guy who doesn't even mind a little body damage every now and then, but when I am done wheeling I clean my rigs up. I want them to last a long time and look good. It was impossible to clean the bedliner. I cannot put into words how dirty and crappy it looked all the time, even before it faded. The second time around I used, I think it was Raptor liner or something like that. Although it didn't fade as quickly, it was still faded in about a year. I also had the same issues with it being dirty all the time and not being able to clean it properly. At least the second one didn't get tacky when hot though. It did still, however, look like crap. Even dirt foot prints couldn't be cleaned off of it.
Sound deadening was not important to me at the time, as I ran with the top off and doors off almost year round. I can tell you that it offered zero insulation and every hotspot on the floor of the CJ was felt in the feet. I am not trying to discourage the OP, just sharing my experience with bedlining the tub of my Jeep. I would personally never do it again. Because carpet does not really fit into my lifestyle I now run Bed Tread in my current rig and although its not perfect, it is the best product I have used to get what I need.

View attachment 176423
View attachment 176424
View attachment 176425
View attachment 176426
View attachment 176427

Love the rig and pics. I live in NM and appreciate your input. I have Bedliner in my Willys and I have noticed it is hard to get clean.

Top Bottom