Torque specs on these two bolts ..

JAGS

Hooked
You may also want to turn the clamp so it puts pressure more on the seam of the sleeve. [emoji106]

Skid_Kid

You may also want to turn the clamp so it puts pressure more on the seam of the sleeve. [emoji106]

Are you being serious? Then he should also torque it, and tap the bands with a hammer and then check the torque again in 5 minutes, repeat two more times.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The radial pressure will not change due to the placement of the clamps on the sleeve.

I agree, it shouldn't but for some reason, what JAGS mentioned does seem to make a difference. At least, from what I have seen - also, that's how it comes from the factory.

Skid_Kid

I agree, it shouldn't but for some reason, what JAGS mentioned does seem to make a difference. At least, from what I have seen - also, that's how it comes from the factory.

Interesting.... I bet if you torqued them like I do with aircraft specs, you get the same results as just one torque. Clamps in the aircraft world are torqued to 70% of final torque, then tapped with a hammer and let sit for a few min, check the torque. If it has not lowered you can torque to final torque. If it has continue at the 70% till it holds at that torque and then torque to final. I know it is a bit much for a Jeep. But it was how I was taught as a aircraft mech. If it good for something that is a vibrating death trap, then it is even better for a Jeep! Lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting.... I bet if you torqued them like I do with aircraft specs, you get the same results as just one torque. Clamps in the aircraft world are torqued to 70% of final torque, then tapped with a hammer and let sit for a few min, check the torque. If it has not lowered you can torque to final torque. If it has continue at the 70% till it holds at that torque and then torque to final. I know it is a bit much for a Jeep. But it was how I was taught as a aircraft mech. If it good for something that is a vibrating death trap, then it is even better for a Jeep! Lol

Like I said, I totally agree with what you're saying about clamping force and I really couldn't tell you why it makes a difference - maybe it's because nobody knows that they need to tighten their bolts the way you were taught and I'm sure is right. All I can say is that I have seen drag links come loose and making sure that the clamps are positioned like they are from the factory does seem to help prevent it.

Skid_Kid

Like I said, I totally agree with what you're saying about clamping force and I really couldn't tell you why it makes a difference - maybe it's because nobody knows that they need to tighten their bolts the way you were taught and I'm sure is right. All I can say is that I have seen drag links come loose and making sure that the clamps are positioned like they are from the factory does seem to help prevent it.

Very true, everybody is taught a certain way. I mean look at how Adam torqued the lug nuts......... Hahahahaha! I will have a pint of good Oregon beer for you today Eddie at the SnG, cheers buddy!

Dopey84

https://youtu.be/IoKK7der3f4 ok soive been experiencing death wobble for the last two days. I've checked all my steering components and checked torque now on all the front end including rotating the tires. Found one tire missing a wheel weight so took it off put on my spare and still occurring.. This video shows the front end I think I may have a couple bad ball joints take a look and tell me if you see something I'm missing I don't wanna completely tear it apart yet so without doing so and from what I can see my ball joints are bad. I've checked the wheels using a pry bar and no back n forth movement on either side.. Any help is appreciated thanks

Skid_Kid

https://youtu.be/IoKK7der3f4 ok soive been experiencing death wobble for the last two days. I've checked all my steering components and checked torque now on all the front end including rotating the tires. Found one tire missing a wheel weight so took it off put on my spare and still occurring.. This video shows the front end I think I may have a couple bad ball joints take a look and tell me if you see something I'm missing I don't wanna completely tear it apart yet so without doing so and from what I can see my ball joints are bad. I've checked the wheels using a pry bar and no back n forth movement on either side.. Any help is appreciated thanks

I would jack it up again and check for play in the ball joints.

Dopey84

Ok so again with vehicle lifted I checked all ball joints for play and aside from the typical forward and reverse rock that you get with the ball joints it's all tight. Also when the death wobble happens my esp doesn't show on the dash.. Not familiar if it has with others that have experienced the dw.. I even rechecked my torque on my spidertrax spacers just to make sure that was still buttoned up to torque specs and it was good without taking everything apart I'm not sure what else to check

Dopey84

Anyone have any ideas as to dealing with dealerships and wheel spacers ? And Jks quick discos? Should I remove them before I take my jeep in to the dealer or just leave it? The reason I'm asking is because I have death wobble going on and have exhausted all I can do here at home and I have there total care auto warranty on it. I need this issue solved due to my wife being pregnant and soon to be delivering...

WJCO

Meme King
Anyone have any ideas as to dealing with dealerships and wheel spacers ? And Jks quick discos? Should I remove them before I take my jeep in to the dealer or just leave it? The reason I'm asking is because I have death wobble going on and have exhausted all I can do here at home and I have there total care auto warranty on it. I need this issue solved due to my wife being pregnant and soon to be delivering...

The disconnects shouldn't have anything to do with anything as that wouldn't cause DW. I would pull the spacers as long as your tires won't rub because a lazy tech could easily blame the spacers, then tell you that it's 1 hour labor to take them off for his diagnosis without them.

Dopey84

It's kinda what I was thinking but just to cover most my bases I think I'll still take the discos off as well. I will leave the leveling kit on and hope they don't notice it lol

Top Bottom