Any ideas on how to wire a cell phone charger into the Jeep permanently?

GraniteCrystal

All right, this might be a little out there, but go with me for a minute...

I have an old cell phone (Samsung S4) that I no longer use but I think might still be able to be used as an altimeter. I downloaded several apps today that all seem to be working and claim to work even without a data connection. The idea would be to permanently mount the cell phone to the dash and have an always-on elevation displaying on the screen. Then as I crawl around the mountains of Colorado, I can always know my elevation.

I'd prefer that:
a) the cell phone not need to be removed from the Jeep to be charged indoors
b) not take up my cigarette lighter or other electrical outlets
c) not show any cords

Ideally I'm hoping to glue a mount to the dash which has a cord running out of it and under the dash and...then I'm not sure. Is there another power source behind the UConnect 430 I could tap into? Use battery power somehow?

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks!

DasBuxxx

Christrap did a solid write up on installing some USB ports into the dash.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=18140
In dash USB plugs

My only concern with permanently mounting anything like that is the current speed to which these devices are becoming obsolete. Now not only are you dealing with the device, but with proprietary designs of plugs. I have a long history with installs in all types of vehicles. I have found that keeping it simple is the best way to not have to fix a hole in the dash.

WJCO

Meme King
I did an isimple 32 (I think that's the model). It can do USB or headphone jack and comes with a module so you can run an mp3 player through your factory system. It's about 50 bucks. Here's a pic of how I installed mine with the provided mount:

jeep (2).jpg
You can easily hide the wires better than I did. However, you can mount the button and both plugs anywhere else too. You don't have to use the provided mount. Here's a quick google image search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=isi...34Q_AUICCgD#tbm=isch&q=isimple+is32+installed

GraniteCrystal

Christrap did a solid write up on installing some USB ports into the dash.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=18140
In dash USB plugs

My only concern with permanently mounting anything like that is the current speed to which these devices are becoming obsolete. Now not only are you dealing with the device, but with proprietary designs of plugs. I have a long history with installs in all types of vehicles. I have found that keeping it simple is the best way to not have to fix a hole in the dash.

Thanks for the link! Agreed on speed of tech but USB doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast

GraniteCrystal

I did an isimple 32 (I think that's the model). It can do USB or headphone jack and comes with a module so you can run an mp3 player through your factory system. It's about 50 bucks. Here's a pic of how I installed mine with the provided mount:

View attachment 176928
You can easily hide the wires better than I did. However, you can mount the button and both plugs anywhere else too. You don't have to use the provided mount. Here's a quick google image search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=isi...34Q_AUICCgD#tbm=isch&q=isimple+is32+installed

Looks like the wires disappear into your dash. Going to cigarette lighter?

Tree Frog

Yes sir
On the right side of the Nav screen should be displayed Elev. , Speed, and posted speed. Seems to me there is something else as well.

When I was a teenager my Dad gave me a altimiter from an aircraft he was working on.
Had it mounted in the dash of my 72 GT for years.
Sold the car with it in there.

Home from work today with fresh hand surgery so could take a photo of my 430N in Nav mode if it would help you.

I also have my Galaxy S4 mounted next to my CB on a overhead mount.
Dont text though.

Good luck

WJCO

Meme King
Looks like the wires disappear into your dash. Going to cigarette lighter?

They go under the console. The kit comes with 2 wires if I remember right. A ground and a 12v. I think I hooked mine to 12v ignition from the radio. Basically any time the key is on, I will have power at the USB.

GraniteCrystal

Yes sir
On the right side of the Nav screen should be displayed Elev. , Speed, and posted speed. Seems to me there is something else as well.

When I was a teenager my Dad gave me a altimiter from an aircraft he was working on.

Home from work today with fresh hand surgery so could take a photo of my 430N in Nav mode if it would help you.

Dont text though.

Good luck

Well shoot. OK, I'll check it out later and let you know what I find. Thanks for the heads up.

GraniteCrystal

Yes sir

Dont text though.

Good luck

I looked at my nav and I don't see it. Would you mind taking a picture of yours showing the elevation?

Tree Frog

Okay here you go.
Checked it several times for accuracy and its within 20 feet. Alright for a Jeep, for an aircraft coming in to land not as much.

I went through the settings to see if there was a switch to toggle Elev. on and off but did not find one.

Attachments

• 1449851535112.jpg
    1449851535112.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 97

GraniteCrystal

How to enable elevation/altimeter in Jeep

Okay here you go.
Checked it several times for accuracy and its within 20 feet. Alright for a Jeep, for an aircraft coming in to land not as much.

I went through the settings to see if there was a switch to toggle Elev. on and off but did not find one.

Ok, I got it working. Turns out it is a setting. Here is a walk through of how to enable this on the 430n nav system in a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (I'm sure it works the same way for most if not all JK models with the 430n).

From main navigation screen, select "Settings" in the lower right:
IMG_20151212_152610.jpg

Select "Map" in the lower left":
IMG_20151212_152618.jpg

Select "Map Data Layout" from the list of options:
IMG_20151212_152629.jpg

Select "More data" from the list of options:
IMG_20151212_152640.jpg

Save that setting and now when you view the map you should see something like this:
IMG_20151212_152709.jpg

There are some other cool options in there as well. In the last image above, you can see I changed my icon to a Jeep instead of a blue arrow on the map.

Big thanks to everyone who replied! I still might run an extra power input in the future, in which case the other info provided will be very handy.

Tree Frog

Good deal. Glad you were able to get it to work.

I ran a small usb from inside the consul power port that is always on up to the rearview area so I can charge or run on my GoPro.
There is even a little cut out in the side of the consol so as to not pinch the wire.
Then just snake it under consol,up under dash, then up the A pillar trim and along the windshild trim.
Truck stops have all kinds of made up usb's both mini and micro.

Top Bottom