81 cj7 show off

holliewood61

Now that we have a section here on Wayalife I figured I'd show off my junk.

Here's the specs.
81 cj7. Originally a 6cyl 3spd rig. Now sports a cammed up 304 with Edelbrock intake, long tube headers, MSD CDI box, coil, & dizzy. Also has MSD fuel injection. Trans is now a TH-400 with a Dana 20 t-case, both pulled from a J-truck. Axles are of the Dana 44 variety sourced from an International Scout. They are stuffed with Yukon 4.88's and Aussie lockers. Rolling stock is 37" Irok's on 15x12 simulocks (DIY bead locks are in the works). Recovery comes in the form of a Warn 8274 mounted on a modified TJ winch plate up front. I'm running home brew tube fenders and Genright armor the rest of the way around. Suspension is 4" Procomp springs up front, and 4" SuperLift springs out back. Future plans are a boat sided and comp cut yj tub, full cage, and 6" rear wheel base stretch.

Last edited:

holliewood61

Thanks guys. These newer jeeps are nice, I love to get the family out in the tj and ride back roads. The wk and wj are pretty much just cars to us, but my 81 and 60 just have a soul. Theres something about them that just make you want to drive them. I'd get rid of all my jeeps before I'd let my cj's go.

holliewood61

Last time i went wheeling i bent my tie rod to the point that it was rubbing on the crank pulley. It was a home made job from when i put the scout axles in initially meant just to be able to move the Jeep around the yard. I cut the ends off the cj tie rod, put them in the lathe and turned them down until they fit inside the scout tie rod and welded it up. I beat the snot out of it for 2 yrs until it gave way.

Tonight i made a new tie rod. I used a yj tie rod. I cut the steering stabilizer bung out, shoved both ends into a piece of 1" black iron pipe, welded the ends, drilled 18 holes and plug welded. Disclaimer: I dont advise any such hack work for street driven rigs. Mine sees 95% trails with the other 5% being a ride down to the store. Hopefully with the yj rod being solid stock and with the sleeve it will hold up pretty well.

I also amputated one of my side pipes as seen strapped to the spare.

Im gonna put manifolds back on it to get the exhaust back inside the frame. One reason is they just take a beating in the rocks. The other reason is im going boatsides when i swap the yj tub over to it this winter. They are just a pain and i wish i had never installed them. Ok for mall crawlers, not so much for trail rigs.

holliewood61

Time to get some things sorted on the jeep, winter time projects and such. I smoked the transmission last month down at Rush offroad. I had planned on rebuilding it, but i came across a rebuilt round bell th400 on good ol craigslist. Ill have to replace the 10 spline output with a 27 spline so it will work with my dana 20, but no big deal. I also picked up a 360 to replace my tired 304. Ill probably swap the cam from the 304 to the 360 as it is relatively new. The aluminum intake and msd goodies will get swapped over as well.

Im on the hunt for another frame to start the wheel base stretch. Im using xj springs flipped around, and it should net me about 6" of stretch to put me right at 100". The plan is to mock up the suspension and tub, drop the 360 and trans between the rails, them swap over my current axles, t-case, dash, tailgate, etc.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

holliewood61

Started getting the 360 tore apart and cleaned up. The heads and pistons look to be in good shape after a through cleaning. Next is to get the oil pan off to check the crank, and to replace the rod and main bearings for piece of mind.

holliewood61

Got the bottom end of the 360 tore down. The crank looks great, and the bearings look good enough to re-use although i wont. Tomorrow ill take the block and heads to a buddy's shop to put them in the big parts washer. If i had the room id have a washer like his. Its a cabinet type that used high pressure heated solvent. Gets the job done.

holliewood61

Picked up the last big piece for my winter modification to do list. I snagged a new in box mastercraft baja rs drivers seat off craigslist at a very nice discount.

Now i just need to get to work

1. Put the 360 back together
2. Swap my output shaft into the new trans
3. Install engine and trans
4. Set up suspension for wheelbase stretch
5. Make new rear shock mounts.
6. Make new rear drive shaft
7. Mount seat
8. Install and plumb fuel cell
9. Go wheelin

holliewood61

Pushed it into the garage to start on a big time makeover. After several years of major abuse, and band-aid fixes its time to get it right.

First thing on the list will be removing the tub, which shouldnt be too hard because there isnt much holding it on. I knew the tub was in bad shape when i started building this thing, but rust has really took hold of it the past couple years. It is at the point where with one more flop, or god forbid i rolled it i would be in real trouble.

There had also been some pretty shoddy patch work done on this thing.

Just a little heads up to anyone looking to buy a jeep. Be mindful of what lurks behind body armor

I plan on swapping in the 360 and new trans while the tub is off. I also plan on setting up the rear wheel base stretch while i have easy access. I want to leave as much of the quarter panel as i can. I dont want to go crazy with the cut. Im thinking something like this, then filling in infront of the wheel so there isnt a huge gap.

Once the frame side body mounts are repaired ill top it off with a boat sided yj tub i have sitting out back, and of course move the exhaust back inside the frame. When all is said and done ill be sitting with a rebuilt 360, rebuilt trans, rust free yj tub, and 100" wheel base.

holliewood61

Sounds like it's gonna be nice. Keep it up. Love the old iron.
Thanks bud. Ive had a lot of fun with this rig, it just gotten to the point where it isnt safe. It especially isnt safe considering its capability. So this tear down is focused on furthering the capability, and bringing the safety up to par for the trouble it can get me into

Top Bottom