1994 YJ Project

Scrambler

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450026759.870423.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450026771.421252.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450026783.289448.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450026793.724991.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450026805.709356.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450026816.745188.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450026825.612066.jpg
This rough around the edges YJ should be getting dropped off at my house sometime after Christmas. My father-in-law has been itching to buy a Jeep, but wanted an older one that he could build from the ground up. So after some haggling with the seller, they settled on $1500. It is a one owner. It cranks, but the transmission needs a clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing. That's about all we know about it, as far as mechanical issues, at this point, but I'm sure I'll be posting some questions and what not after we start really digging into. It should be a fun project to take up some time on the weekends.

Scrambler

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450548548.699963.jpg
More chrome. Not sure what was up with the all the chrome on this thing. It should be in the driveway tomorrow and we will start working on it. Game plan as of right now is to get anything that is chrome off of it tomorrow and get it on Craigslist. We will then start tackling all the mechanical issues through the first of the year. Hopefully it will be drivable by January.

MC2003TJ

I had a red 94 YJ for 15 years and she took me to a lot of trails. Good fuel injected 4.0 liter motor and a 5 speed. FYI.... A ford 9" out of 1967-70 Ford mustangs will fit with no modifications. Same width, same bolt pattern. Just weld on the spring perches and shock mounts. Picked mine up for dirt cheap and just added a Detroit locker with the original 4:10 gears that were in it. Good luck!

Scrambler

I had a red 94 YJ for 15 years and she took me to a lot of trails. Good fuel injected 4.0 liter motor and a 5 speed. FYI.... A ford 9" out of 1967-70 Ford mustangs will fit with no modifications. Same width, same bolt pattern. Just weld on the spring perches and shock mounts. Picked mine up for dirt cheap and just added a Detroit locker with the original 4:10 gears that were in it. Good luck!

That's good info. I'll look into that. Getting the rear axle switched over to something stronger is the Spring time game plan. I need to make a some kind excel spreadsheet with goal time lines and parts lists to keep this organized for the Father-in-law.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450573428.518300.jpg

Could do a dana 44 front and 60 rear out of a 70s era ford also if you want to go bigger than 35s but not really wide. This was with spring over with factory waggy springs and 36s.

Never drove this though, bought it as a project, sold it as a project when I needed money.

Scrambler

The 8.8 out of the Explorer was what I had read as the general consensus on most cost effective axle swap, especially if you can find one with 4:10 gears.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
The 8.8 out of the Explorer was what I had read as the general consensus on most cost effective axle swap, especially if you can find one with 4:10 gears.

It's not bad. You can find them with limited slips and disk breaks along with the 4.10s. They can be built for 37s. You will need to run a spacer in the rear to get the same track width if I rem right. Think it is narrower than the front. Don't rem how much though.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
It's not bad. You can find them with limited slips and disk breaks along with the 4.10s. They can be built for 37s. You will need to run a spacer in the rear to get the same track width if I rem right. Think it is narrower than the front. Don't rem how much though.

It's only about 5/8" narrower. I grabbed mine from a 2001 explorer. It had 4.10 gears, LSD and disc brakes. You can buy the perches and pinion yoke conversion from East Coast Gear Supply. I didn't need to run spacers until I jumped to 35s. Then I just ran an 1.5" in the rear with an 1" up front. No issues so far.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
It's only about 5/8" narrower. I grabbed mine from a 2001 explorer. It had 4.10 gears, LSD and disc brakes. You can buy the perches and pinion yoke conversion from East Coast Gear Supply. I didn't need to run spacers until I jumped to 35s. Then I just ran an 1.5" in the rear with an 1" up front. No issues so far.

Ah ok, couldn't rem for sure.

Scrambler

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450627450.548433.jpg
Goodbye chrome. Pulled the thermostat housing and found no thermostat. Looks like they ran straight water and no antifreeze. I have found a whole slew of little things that need to be addressed, but the cooling system needs to be buttoned up today due to the temp drop here.

Grubbicon

Hey that sound bar is better then the non existent radio in my YJ. Again sorry about having to bail on you. Been putting up a wall around the insulation in the shop corner. I wish I was over there lol.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450636964.491821.jpg

Scrambler

Hey that sound bar is better then the non existent radio in my YJ. Again sorry about having to bail on you. Been putting up a wall around the insulation in the shop corner. I wish I was over there lol.

It's all good man.

It's got a new thermostat now and all leaks are fixed with cooling system. We just found out the radiator is bad in it. That was the issue with it running hot. I think he is just going to buy some sort of heavy duty one. This thing runs pretty damn good though. It just needs some TLC. By the way, who needs air filters? Apparently this thing doesn't. I wonder how long it's been running without one. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450638360.423073.jpg

Top Bottom