Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46

Thread: How to Install U-Joints w/ Full Circle Clips onto a Chromoly Front Axle Shaft + VIDEO

  1. #21
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    52,653
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeB-JKURX View Post
    I guess I'm a little confused. The initial Wayalife post would indicate that the big problem with the 44 axle shafts was the C-clip coming loose from the U-joint and that the axle shafts themselves were generally not the problem. The write-up then goes on to show how to install a full circle U-joint in an Alloy USA chromalloy axle. I had expected that the write-up would show how to install a full circle clip U-joint in the stock axle shaft as a preventive measure to make sure that the U-joint on the stock axle doesn't fall apart when the C-clip comes out. Is there no full circle clip U-joint for the stock shafts or, perhaps, the Alloy USA write-up was given as an example for how to do it on any U-joint axle?

    All of that said, I'm impressed with the detail of the write-up.

    Thanks

    Edit - Didn't see the post about tack welding the caps until after I posted
    Sorry for the confusion. To clarify, a lot of people make the assumption that axle shafts that have u-joints "in general" are weak based on their experiences with "factory" shafts. This is why a lot of them assume they need something like an expensive RCV shaft. Of course, their assumptions are wrong and I am simply pointing out that a more affordable axle shaft with u-joints that have full circle clips will get the job and for a lot less.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wethy View Post
    Great write up, especially for people who've never worked on solid axles front ends before like my self although most of the processes other than setting ring and pinion/backlash and shimming seem pretty straight forward it never hurts!

    Also will they be making these for the D30's?
    Honestly, I don't know for sure. We just picked up what we needed for our purposes. I do know they make axle shafts for the Dana 30 and they are available with u-joints that have full circle clips but I don't think the X-Joints are made for it or, at least not as of yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by JK LYF View Post
    Great write up. I appreciate the fact you take the time to put this stuff out. Very clear instructions. Thank you.
    Well, we just hope that videos like these can be of help to others.

  2. #22
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    52,653
    Quote Originally Posted by aro View Post
    Very helpful write-up, thanks!

    For a cheap alternative, besides tack welding, is it possible to only replace the stock u-joints on the stock axle shaft? Would this Spicer 5-760x work?
    Unfortunately, no. The issues is not the u-joint but rather, the factory axle shafts as they have yokes with material that would prevent the installation of full circle clips. You can grid this material out to make it work but I personally don't think it's worth the effort.

    Quote Originally Posted by JAGS View Post
    Great tutorial. Thanks for posting up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
    Thanks for the write up and video. I will use this when the time comes.
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ21XDC View Post
    Great Job - Very Helpful
    Glad to know you found the video helpful.

  3. #23
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    52,653
    Quote Originally Posted by Damtall55 View Post
    You make that seem so easy!! Thank for the quick video on this Eddie!!
    LOL!! Fortunately or unfortunately, I've had to do this a few times

    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    Nice video! Thanks!

    Now where do I fit a shop press in the jeep so I can do this on the trail?
    It's called a MAC's Trail-D-Vice. They ain't cheap but they're worth every penny


  4. #24
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    27,943
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Sorry for the confusion. To clarify, a lot of people make the assumption that axle shafts that have u-joints "in general" are weak based on their experiences with "factory" shafts. This is why a lot of them assume they need something like an expensive RCV shaft. Of course, their assumptions are wrong and I am simply pointing out that a more affordable axle shaft with u-joints that have full circle clips will get the job and for a lot less.
    Eddie, tell me your honest opinion on these axles: http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/10369.html. I've been considering getting them, but there's a catch. These are the ONLY axle upgrades I can find for my WJ. The RCV ones will not work with my LSD carrier. These axles look lovely enough on paper, but after I contacted the company, they have not sold many and could not give me enough feedback about pros/cons. Because they machine the casting to allow for better turning, they WILL NOT warranty them at all. My gut feeling is to stay away from them because I don't want an 800 dollar paperweight, but I would like to upgrade my axles. Does this machining worry you at all by looking at it? I want to run 35s soon.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES



    Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

  5. #25
    Token East Coast Guy MR.Ty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    South East Georgia
    Posts
    6,417
    Awesome write up and great video! Now I have an idea what to do when I finally upgrade my front shafts.
    2014 JKUR "Stumps"


  6. #26
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    52,653
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Eddie, tell me your honest opinion on these axles: http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/10369.html. I've been considering getting them, but there's a catch. These are the ONLY axle upgrades I can find for my WJ. The RCV ones will not work with my LSD carrier. These axles look lovely enough on paper, but after I contacted the company, they have not sold many and could not give me enough feedback about pros/cons. Because they machine the casting to allow for better turning, they WILL NOT warranty them at all. My gut feeling is to stay away from them because I don't want an 800 dollar paperweight, but I would like to upgrade my axles. Does this machining worry you at all by looking at it? I want to run 35s soon.
    They do look nice but, as a general rule, I tend not to upgrade things until or unless I need to. I had broken my factory driver side shaft very early on and replaced it with a used chromo shaft and my passenger side shaft has over 80,000 miles on it. I was planning on just replacing the u-joint but thought, while I was at it, why not just upgrade to something better and keep my old shafts as spares. In other words, unless you're in need of them, I'd hold off on getting them but, when the time comes, I'd probably get them being that they're really not that expensive for what they are and really, the only thing out there other than OE shafts.

  7. #27
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    27,943
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    They do look nice but, as a general rule, I tend not to upgrade things until or unless I need to. I had broken my factory driver side shaft very early on and replaced it with a used chromo shaft and my passenger side shaft has over 80,000 miles on it. I was planning on just replacing the u-joint but thought, while I was at it, why not just upgrade to something better and keep my old shafts as spares. In other words, unless you're in need of them, I'd hold off on getting them but, when the time comes, I'd probably get them being that they're really not that expensive for what they are and really, the only thing out there other than OE shafts.
    Cool. Thanks for the advice.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES



    Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

  8. #28
    Nothing but a Thing highoctane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Prescott, AZ
    Posts
    1,793
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Eddie, tell me your honest opinion on these axles: http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/10369.html. I've been considering getting them, but there's a catch. These are the ONLY axle upgrades I can find for my WJ. The RCV ones will not work with my LSD carrier. These axles look lovely enough on paper, but after I contacted the company, they have not sold many and could not give me enough feedback about pros/cons. Because they machine the casting to allow for better turning, they WILL NOT warranty them at all. My gut feeling is to stay away from them because I don't want an 800 dollar paperweight, but I would like to upgrade my axles. Does this machining worry you at all by looking at it? I want to run 35s soon.
    I'd look for a set of stock JK Rubi axles. A friend of mine swapped them into his WJ.
    2015 Anvil Rubicon Unlimited
    Evo Mfg Double Throwdown suspension w/Evo Lever
    Evo Mfg high clearance long arms
    Evo Mfg PR60 high steer w/PSC hydraulic assist
    Dynatrac ProRock XD60 front axle
    Dynatrac ProRock 80 rear axle
    ARB lockers & 5.38 gears
    JE Reel 1350 front/1410 rear driveshafts
    Evo Mfg rocker/corner armor/bumper
    17" ATX Slabs & 40" Nitto Mud Grapplers


    Proud to be one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001 - 2010. Semper Fi




  9. #29
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    27,943
    Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    I'd look for a set of stock JK Rubi axles. A friend of mine swapped them into his WJ.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm guessing he has an open diff though. I can find tons of those as far as axle upgrades. Mine has quadradrive so both diffs have LSD. It's an entirely different carrier. I also have limited options as far as lockers if I ever wanted to go that way. If indeed your friend has quadradrive and that worked, I would love to hear about it for sure. Isn't the Rubi a D44 though? I have a D30 in front.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES



    Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

  10. #30
    Resident Smartass OverlanderJK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    30,880
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    LOL!! Fortunately or unfortunately, I've had to do this a few times



    It's called a MAC's Trail-D-Vice. They ain't cheap but they're worth every penny

    Lol yeah Russ has one. I've used it before and still would rather someone else do it. Lol
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

    2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

    2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

    1975 DJ5

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS