Daily Driver on tons????

4x4livn

Hi,

This might actually be my first post on this forum, can't recall. So thank you to all those that have come before me. There is a wealth of knowledge on this website! I've done some searching, but haven't gotten enough information about my specific question.

So why am I considering tossing 1 tons under my daily JK? In late 2016 or early 2017, I will be buying a tow rig and at that point, the Jeep becomes a toy. I will still drive it with the top off when the weather is nice and I will likely drive it to the trail from time to time. My long term goals for this Jeep is a vehicle that can do almost anything except racing. With oil futures down and buying a tow rig soon, as long as I can manage 10-12 mpg I will be happy. Having been through vehicle builds before, I know it is cheaper to built it one time instead of in steps. So I see no reason to consider going to 35s. I would like to end up with a 37"-40" tire. One thing to be aware of, I DO NOT WELD! While I am learning, I do not trust myself yet and as such I will out-source any fab that is required. Sorry to those of you in the built not bought crowd.

My Jeep as it currently sits

2015 JKUR
6 - speed manual
3.5 metal cloak lift (HIGHLY recommend this lift, just in case this comes up in someone's future searches)

What I am considering

- 60s F/R - haven't decided from whom yet. I do know that I intend to go a little wider than stock to help fit the bigger meats. I did notice that Dana is making a set of bolt in 60s that even reuse the factory TC, locker wiring, and ABS. I really like that it is completely bolt on (which I can handle no problem). Willing to consider other options as long as I don't get lights on the dash. I've read about using super duty axles, but because I do not weld, I'm not sure that is the best route for me.

- 37-40'' tire.

- Supercharger/Turbo - Only plan to do this if really needed. don't want to get into an arguing match over which is better here.

Soooo questions...

1.) What is it like to drive a 1 tonned JK everyday? Is this tolerable?

2.) If I go with 40s, is my mileage going to go into the single digits? From my searches, it seems like guys with 37s are able to manage in the mid-teens.

3.) 37s are a little small for 1 tons, but would I be better of running 37s while it's my daily and upgrading to 40s when they are worn out?

Any other information, opinions, personal experiences you think would help me in my decision, please feel free to share!

Marc

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Considering you cant weld, you will definitely need a shop for help as there is a lot of cutting/grinding/welding that you need to do to strip down the axles and get everything mounted back up to make them work.

I would suggest, if you have the money, to go with some ready to bolt in Dynatrac axles which can be built exactly how you want. I have read lots about going the ton conversion, and some manage to do it cheap, and others end up very close to what the dynatracs cost in the end since depending on condition, you will end up replacing just about everything in the axle to make it work.

Im sure others will chime in on this one.

For me personally, and this is what I plan in the long run is a Dynatrac PR44 front and Trail 60 rear which will be more than enough to handle 37s and can take a beating.

4x4livn

Considering you cant weld, you will definitely need a shop for help as there is a lot of cutting/grinding/welding that you need to do to strip down the axles and get everything mounted back up to make them work.

I would suggest, if you have the money, to go with some ready to bolt in Dynatrac axles which can be built exactly how you want. I have read lots about going the ton conversion, and some manage to do it cheap, and others end up very close to what the dynatracs cost in the end since depending on condition, you will end up replacing just about everything in the axle to make it work.

For me personally, and this is what I plan in the long run is a Dynatrac PR44 front and Trail 60 rear which will be more than enough to handle 37s and can take a beating.

Exactly right. That is why I like the axles that come directly from Dana. I have had similar experiences as far as cost goes. Some people seem to pull it off for pennies, and others seem to spend slightly less that new.

The only reason I am not considering not building my current 44 or swapping in another 44 housings is my long term goal. I would rather buy once and have more axle than I need. Giving myself room to grow.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Exactly right. That is why I like the axles that come directly from Dana. I have had similar experiences as far as cost goes. Some people seem to pull it off for pennies, and others seem to spend slightly less that new.

The only reason I am not considering not building my current 44 or swapping in another 44 housings is my long term goal. I would rather buy once and have more axle than I need. Giving myself room to grow.

I cant remember his name, but a fellow pa member did the exact swap I was talking about and is very happy with it. If you can run full width axles, then you can get full float rears which is even better for running larger tires, sadly I dont have that option due to fender laws as full width axles would be a problem.

Im sure Eddie will comment about the best choices, and what its like to daily drive a JK on 40s.

4x4livn

I cant remember his name, but a fellow pa member did the exact swap I was talking about and is very happy with it. If you can run full width axles, then you can get full float rears which is even better for running larger tires, sadly I dont have that option due to fender laws as full width axles would be a problem.

Im sure Eddie will comment about the best choices, and what its like to daily drive a JK on 40s.

I have fender laws to deal with here in Colorado too. But after having full widths on my YJ... I cant imagine going back. The added stability saved me multiple times. I think I will make one of my first fab projects making a set of quick disconnecting mud flaps to get around this problem.

4x4livn

Are you sure? I haven't heard of any laws here about that myself. I run 2 inch wheel spacers and haven't been bugged about it.

I'm pretty sure we do... even if we dont, I am not going to be the jackass throwing 20ft roosters all over other cars. Anyway.... back to topic.

WJCO

Meme King
I'm pretty sure we do... even if we dont, I am not going to be the jackass throwing 20ft roosters all over other cars. Anyway.... back to topic.

I wasn't trying to derail the thread. I was just saying that I didn't know of any.

BLK HULK

Driving on 40's with 1 tones is fun for a daily driver.

I couldn't tell you what kinda has i'm getting but I don't think it's to good!!

thardy

Banned
If you're interested in bolt-in options, you can't beat the quality of Dynatrac axles. I would go PR60 F/R or PR60 F, PR80 R. If you have a shop you can trust to do the fab work on tons, it probably would be cheaper. I do know that people have had speed sensor issues putting tons in the 12+ though.

Top Bottom