ODYSSEY Extreme Series Battery PC1220 for 2012-Up Jeep JK Wranglers

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In 2012, Chrysler decided to switch out the standard Group 34 battery they had been using since 2007 and replaced it with a Group 91. For the most part, this would be no big deal as they are pretty much the same thing but, there is one key difference that makes it difficult to use a Group 34 and, that is the terminals are on opposite sides. Because the power and ground leads are cut to such an exact length, you can't simply cross them over and call it a day. Of course, to complicate things even more, a Group 91 battery isn’t really a common size and certainly not one you can find easily in a deep cycle format or, at least not until now.

As luck would have it, Odyssey offers an Extreme Series Battery PC1220 which is offered in a Group 48 size (a Group 91 equivalent) is really the best battery you can get bar none. In this write-up, you get to see just how east it is to install one in your 2012 or newer JK.

UPDATE: this article was written back in 2012 and the PC1200 is no longer sold in the US. I would now recommend the 34R-PC1500 which is also a better battery.

<iframe style="width:120px;height:240px;" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ss&ref=as_ss_li_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=wayalifeparts-20&marketplace=amazon&region=US&placement=B008FY5UF8&asins=B008FY5UF8&linkId=512314dd1bd83ca8dc8e6ae4f6972110&show_border=true&link_opens_in_new_window=true"></iframe>

What you will need:
ODYSSEY 34R-PC1500
• 10mm Socket/Wrench
• Long Ratchet Extension
• Ratchet

Installation
Here's a shot of what the new Odyssey Extreme Series Battery PC1220 looks like.
main.php

1. Using a 10mm socket or wrench, loosen the clamp nut from the negative terminal of your battery and then disconnect it. Repeat on the positive terminal.
main.php

2. Use a 10mm socket attached to a long extension to remove the bolt and clamp securing the base of your battery to its tray.
main.php

3. Remove the old battery and replace it with your new Odyssey Extreme Series one.
main.php

4. Reinstall the battery base clamp and secure it in place with the factory bolt. You will need a 10mm socket attached to a long extension for this job.
main.php

5. Reconnect the positive and then negative leads to your new battery and then, tighten up the terminal clamp nuts to secure them in place.
main.php

That's it, you now have a great deep cycle battery perfect for winching and running auxillary lights or even a refridgerator.
main.php

For more information regarding Odyssey Extreme Series Batteries, click on the following link:

http://www.odysseybattery.com/batteries.html

To find an Odyssey dealer near you, click on the link below to see their Dealer Locator:

http://www.odysseybattery.com/locator.html

:cool:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Great write up! Just an FYI, DO NOT drop the terminal bolts into the battery tray because they are a royal pain to get back out. lol Been there done that. One found the smallest hole is the tightest spot and decided to hang out there.

MTG

Caught the Bug
wayoflife said:
The Sears Platinum Die Hard Batteries are essential Odyssey's but, they are not available in a Group 48.

What did I buy then? :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great...yet another thing now smaller on my jeep. :cheesy:

LOL!! I found it worked just fine and actually had more CCA's than this new Odyssey. I just wanted to see if I could find a direct replacement, something that would fit without any issues and still be a great deep cycle battery.

MTG

Caught the Bug
wayoflife said:
LOL!! I found it worked just fine and actually had more CCA's than this new Odyssey. I just wanted to see if I could find a direct replacement, something that would fit without any issues and still be a great deep cycle battery.

Well at least I have more CCA's. :crazyeyes:

MTG

Caught the Bug
StrizzyChris said:
Are you getting too used to people telling u its not about the size, but rather how u work it?! :cheesy:

Uh actually I've never heard that before, but good luck with it! ;)

:cheesy:

Trembley

That's what I found in looking at the two myself..was just wondering the thought process behind it is all!

Thanks

I'll have to see how much the Odyssey costs and weigh it against what I can get the sears one for. I plan on running a fridge on summer road trips and I'm thinking that a deep cycle battery might need to move up on the list of things to get. I will eventually also be running some aux. lighting and a winch as well.

Holeshot

Banned
I went to my odyssey retailer last week, and in their book, 2012's still can run a group 34, but with reversed poles. The one I looked for is a PC1500/34R

Omar Brannstrom

Thanks for the info. I could not run my waeco cf40 fridge on my 1.5 year old stock battery on my 2012 wrangler in the medium or high battery controller settings.

I installed this oddyssey battery and it was easy and the fridge works now in medium or high controller settings. So great

jeffd

dang just checked the price on these. $285 cheapest I could find. How is it holding up? I have a new 14 wranlger but my wife's car needs a new battery so thinking of swapping my wrangler battery to her car and getting a better battery for the jeep.

Top Bottom