Tire Air Pressure

I currently run 285/75R/16 tires on my 2dr '13 sport. I normally due moderate trails with a tire psi of 22-18, so far have never had any traction problems. Tires are rated E load and maximum psi is 60. Jeep recommends on highway 35 psi. Now that my first air pump has burnt out I was wondering since I need to get gas after off roading if I can just drive 10-20 miles to the nearest gas station on 22-18 psi without doing any damage to my wheels or tires?

utiadam

LOSER
I've been running 30psi in my 37" trail grapplers for 11k miles. They are wearing very even so far but i never did the chalk test.

Wethy

I have 33's is it bad to leave them at 35 psi for high way?

I was running my 33's at 35psi for two weeks on the highway before I had a chance to do a chalk test. I found at highway speeds it wanted to jump around more with any sort or bump steer and it rough slightly harsher than after I adjusted pressures I now run 30 in them and seems to ride and track nicer at speed

tire air pressure

Still wondering about airing up after off roading. I usually air down my 285's to 22-18 psi on moderate trails. Since I need to gas up can I drive 15-30 miles at that tire pressure to the nearest gas station without hurting the tires and/or rims?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Still wondering about airing up after off roading. I usually air down my 285's to 22-18 psi on moderate trails. Since I need to gas up can I drive 15-30 miles at that tire pressure to the nearest gas station without hurting the tires and/or rims?

Yes, just as overlander said. 👍

WJCO

Meme King

It's more about the speed you are driving, higher speed=more heat. Personally, I air them back up to 30psi at the trail head. I have a buddy who drives about 30 miles to his house to do it as he has a larger compressor at home, but doesn't drive over 50mph on the way back home, I believe his offroad pressure is in the teens (not 100% sure). That may not be a clear answer, but I know he's been doing it for years with no issues. I prefer to just do it at the trail head and be done with it.

It's more about the speed you are driving, higher speed=more heat. Personally, I air them back up to 30psi at the trail head. I have a buddy who drives about 30 miles to his house to do it as he has a larger compressor at home, but doesn't drive over 50mph on the way back home, I believe his offroad pressure is in the teens (not 100% sure). That may not be a clear answer, but I know he's been doing it for years with no issues. I prefer to just do it at the trail head and be done with it.

Thanks, I normally have to gas up anyway so making a stop at the gas station and airing up there seems to be easier for me. I normally drive 55 but I think I might cut that down to 50 to be extra safe. I have noticed most people do air down more than I do but I haven't had any traction problems yet and ride quality seems OK for me.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'e driven well over 100 miles at highway speeds with 10 lbs of air or less. It won't do anything but make it harder to turn and kill your gas mileage.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Check the Temps--Hand Will Do

A key indicator to monitor is your tires' temperature. A periodic walk-around, checking tire temps with your hand, can tell you a lot.

For instance, check your tires' sidewall temps using the back of your hand, before starting out. Drive about 10 miles at your chosen speed, stop and then check the sidewall temp again. You should be able to touch the tire w/o discomfort. Depending on ambient temp, they may or may not be all that warm.

The human threshold of pain is about 160F. If you cannot comfortably hold the back of your hand against the sidewall, you need to immediately change what you're doing to reduce internal tire-flex friction-generating heat: slow down, lighten your load, and/or increase PSI.

If you've not done this before, drive another 10-15 miles, and check again. And, perhaps yet again. Experiment with checking tire temps and you'll get a feel for how your vehicle behaves under different situations.

When towing, particularly on long distance trips, I'll walk around and check tire temps at every rest/fuel stop. It'll tell you a lot. Consider a SUV and dbl-axle trailer. The SUV front tires are generally coolest; they're just steering and holding the front end up. Rear tires are notably warmer, they're carrying trailer tongue load and providing driving force. On a dbl-axle trailer, if you have more load forward (all else, like PSI, held constant), the front axle tires will be warmer than the rear because they're carrying more load. Side to side, tires on the same axle should feel the same.

On couple occasions, I've found a leak simply because on a walk-around I found a tire that was noticeably hotter than it should be when compared to the others.

Top Bottom