Jeep JK Wrangler Front Axle Shaft Removal & Replacement Write-Up + VIDEO

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Contrary to what so many people seem to think, the number one reason why factory Rubicon Dana 44 front axle shafts break is not because they're weak but rather, because they come with c-clips. Over time, movement in the bearing caps can cause the c-clips to work themselves free and once they're gone, there's nothing to keep the caps in place. Once one or more bearing cap is gone, it's just a matter of time before the trunnions tear through the ears of axle shaft yokes. While buying a set of overpriced RCV axle shafts is one solution to this problem, a more affordable and just as effective solution is to pick up a set of chromoly axle shafts with u-joints that have full circle clips much like the kind that AlloyUSA makes. Unlike c-clips, full circle clips will completely surround the u-joint bearing caps and that that will prevent them from working themselves free.

While we do already have a front axle shaft removal and replacement write up, we recently picked up a set of new AlloyUSA front chromoly axle shaft for our 2012 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited and thought it would be good to post an updated version of it along with the following short step-by-step video.

For those of you who are interested, we got these shafts with a set of their X-Joints as they come complete with full circle clips and you can see a write-up on how to assemble them here: How to Install U-Joints w/ Full Circle Clips onto a Chromoly Front Axle Shaft + VIDEO

What You Will Need
• 12 Point 13mm Box Wrench
• 21mm Wrench
• 19mm Socket
• 36mm Socket
• Torque Wrench
• Breaker Bar
• Floor Jack
• Jack Stand
• Red Loctite

What you will need to do
1. Place a floor jack under the base of your front axle's control arm and raise it up until the wheel slightly off the ground. Set your axle back down onto a jack stand for safety and then use a 19mm socket to remove the lug nuts on your wheel.
main.php

2. Remove the wheel and set it under the frame rail of your Jeep for safety.
main.php

3. Disconnect your speed sensor line from its 2 retaining clips.
main.php

main.php

4. Follow the speed sensor cable up to the back of the frame rail and unplug it.
main.php

5. Using a 36mm socket, remove the axle hub nut. If you don't have access to an impact wrench, it will help to have someone step on the brakes during this process.
main.php

6. Using a 21mm wrench, remove the 2 bolts securing your brake caliper to the knuckle.
main.php

main.php

7. Carefully remove the brake caliper and zip tie it onto your lower control arm or frame so that it's out of the way. Do NOT allow the caliper to hang from the brake line.
main.php

main.php

8. Remove the rotor and carefully set it aside.
main.php

9. Using a 12 point 13mm wrench, remove the 3 bolts (2 above and 1 below) securing the hub/wheel bearing to the knuckle.
main.php

main.php

10. Remove the unit bearing and dust shield and set them out of the way.
main.php

11. Remove your factory axle shaft.
main.php

12. If it didn't come out with your axle shaft, you will need to look inside your axle tube and phish out the plastic shaft guide as it will prevent you from reinstalling your old shaft or installing a new one. This guide is not needed and can be discarded.
main.php

13. Carefully slide in your new axle shaft. You will need to tilt up the end of it to get the splines to engage into the locker.
main.php

14. Reinstall the dust shield and unit bearing.
main.php

15. Apply some red Loctite onto the threads of the unit bearing bolts.
main.php

16. Secure the unit bearing onto the steering knuckle with the bolts and tighten the bolts to 75 ft. lbs. of torque.
main.php

main.php

17. Reinstall your rotor onto the wheel studs.
main.php

18. Apply some red Loctite to the threads of your caliper bolts.
main.php

19. Reinstall your brake caliper onto the rotor.
main.php

20. Secure the brake caliper to the steering knuckle with the bolts and tighten them to 120 ft. lbs. of torque.
main.php

main.php

21. Reinstall your speed sensor lines into the retaining clips.
main.php

22. Plug your speed sensor line back into the wiring harness at the frame.
main.php

23. Apply some red Loctite to the threads of your axle hub nut.
main.php

24. Secure your axle shaft in place using the hub nut and tighten it to 100 ft. lbs. of torque. It will help to have a friend apply pressure on the brake pedal when doing this.
main.php

Repeat on the other side and that's it! You now have a set of brand new chromoly axle shafts and ones that should last you quite a long time.
main.php

I hope this write-up has been helpful to you. Please let me know if you have any questions. :cool:

xkid

You make that job look easy. You give us more confidence to tackle the job. Thank you Sir.

chipper

Great write up and video. I didn't realize this was a simple job until I watched your video. Not nervous about changing mine out now. Thanks again.

christensent

Aren't the plastic axle shaft guides actually pretty important? I can't imagine possibly managing to get my shafts in without obliterating the inner axle seals without those guides.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Aren't the plastic axle shaft guides actually pretty important? I can't imagine possibly managing to get my shafts in without obliterating the inner axle seals without those guides.

LOL!! They're about as important as the assembly washers attached to your wheel studs and hold your rotors in place. That being said, if you have two left thumbs and can't possibly imagine getting your shafts in without obliterating the inner axle seals without them, I suppose you had better reuse them.

BTW, welcome to WAYALIFE!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Nope they are not important at all. You can slide the new shaft in easily without it and will not damage the inner seal as long as you go easy and take your time

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You make that job look easy. You give us more confidence to tackle the job. Thank you Sir.

Thanks for the write up! I'll be doing this soon.

Great write up and video. I didn't realize this was a simple job until I watched your video. Not nervous about changing mine out now. Thanks again.

Glad to know that my write-up and video were helpful to you. So you know, I'm all new to this and don't know anything about working on Jeeps so please take what you see for what they are.

JK LYF

So you know, I'm all new to this and don't know anything about working on Jeeps so please take what you see for what they are.

Your write ups/videos are the best! I always try to find a write up on Wayalife whenever I, or a friend, has an issue with the rig.

BTW, Had no idea you are new to this! Lol!!

WJCO

Meme King
Contrary to what so many people seem to think, the number one reason why factory Rubicon Dana 44 front axle shafts break is not because they're weak but rather, because they come with c-clips. Over time, movement in the bearing caps can cause the c-clips to work themselves free and once they're gone, there's nothing to keep the caps in place. Once one or more bearing cap is gone, it's just a matter of time before the trunnions tear through the ears of axle shaft yokes. While buying a set of overpriced RCV axle shafts is one solution to this problem, a more affordable and just as effective solution is to pick up a set of chromoly axle shafts with u-joints that have full circle clips much like the kind that AlloyUSA makes. Unlike c-clips, full circle clips will completely surround the u-joint bearing caps and that that will prevent them from working themselves free.

While we do already have a front axle shaft removal and replacement write up, we recently picked up a set of new AlloyUSA front chromoly axle shaft for our 2012 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited and thought it would be good to post an updated version of it along with the following short step-by-step video.

Thanks for the video and writeup.

Welcome to WAL.

You can slide the new shaft in easily without it and will not damage the inner seal as long as you go easy and take your time

Thanks for the tip. That's what she said.

CJW

Very cool video! Out of curiosity how many miles did you get out of your factory shafts? I think I remember reading that one shaft broke but those looked like factory ones in the video.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is that a Wayalife work shirt you have on?

Yup, that'd be my work shirt :cool:

Very cool video! Out of curiosity how many miles did you get out of your factory shafts? I think I remember reading that one shaft broke but those looked like factory ones in the video.

The driver side (typical) went out real quick but surprisingly, the passenger side has lasted over 85,000 miles and I still plan on keeping it as a spare :yup:

CJW

The driver side (typical) went out real quick but surprisingly, the passenger side has lasted over 85,000 miles and I still plan on keeping it as a spare :yup:

Wow that's awesome! Ive always wondered what you could get out of them (granted having to check those clips all the time). I'm running stock ones as well and have been waiting for a break before upgrading. Glad to see i could potentially go a very long time. I also like that zerk design of those new joints to get all the caps greased individually.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow that's awesome! Ive always wondered what you could get out of them (granted having to check those clips all the time). I'm running stock ones as well and have been waiting for a break before upgrading. Glad to see i could potentially go a very long time. I also like that zerk design of those new joints to get all the caps greased individually.

Oh yeah, with the exception of the c-clips factory shafts use, I have always found them to be surprisingly strong. It is in part because of this that I find something like RCV's to be totally unnecessary.

As far as u-joints go, I won't lie and tell you that I'm usually NOT a fan of greasable ones unless they're something like CTM's as they're typically not as strong. That being said, I do like testing out new products and hope these new X-Joints will hold out. Of course, you can be sure that I will let you know one way or the other :yup:

CJW

Jeep JK Wrangler Front Axle Shaft Removal & Replacement Write-Up + VIDEO

That being said, I do like testing out new products and hope these new X-Joints will hold out. Of course, you can be sure that I will let you know one way or the other :yup:

I look forward to seeing what you have to say about them. I prefer strength/reliability over ease of maintenance but it sure would be nice to have something like these instead! Thanks for the info!

Gadget

Caught the Bug
By the looks of this video the unit bearings are easy to replace or am I missing something?

Top Bottom