Would You Still Want a Jeep Wrangler Truck IF...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, I was looking at a poll that Allpar did a little over a week ago and in it, they asked almost 1,000 of the readers what vehicle from Chrysler they were most looking forward to seeing. And, I suppose it should be no surprise that a Jeep Wrangler based pick-up came out on top (but just by a hair over a new Chrysler minivan) but I'm wondering, would you still be interested in one IF it looked like what we're expecting to see with the all new JL Wrangler styling?

I took some liberties with Susan Rand's very nice rendering and modified it a bit so that I could give myself an idea of what a JL Wrangler pick-up could look like.

allpar1.jpg

What do you think?

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Looks like the one sitting in my driveway.

I like it, but again it looks like the JK.

I would rather see a drastic change in the next model year jeep. Like the change we seen from TJ to JK.

Last edited:

JeepJeep75

It has a little too much front bumper... But then again, without the front bumper it looks just like our JK's so I agree with piginajeep. It needs more changing up.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
First off Eddy, I think you did a great job in your rendering of a rendering. However..

That looks just plain ugly. Reminds of the failed El Camino's of our time, something which the Australians continue to hold onto.

Besides, would the handling suffer on slick and snowy roads with the reduced weight in the back?

And from a customer's perspective, if I wanted a truck.. I would just buy a truck. Am I missing something here?

RoughRider

Just not a big enough difference, if anything they should just say it's the 2018 JK...

I'm also with piginajeep I want to see a big change, not a few modifications

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I think doing the truck as a single row only is a mistake.

The 4 door JK is the sweet spot for wheel base. Stretching the frame longer to accommodate 4 doors will make the Jeep truck a little long for trails.

If it remains the same length with 4 doors the bed will be useless. It's damn near useless on my JK8. Perhaps a little longer from to make crew cab like the Dakotas or Rangers had with jumper seats might fit the bill.

lidless07X

If it has independant front suspension, you may as well buy a Colorado.

There is simply no market for a two seater pick up anymore. Maybe if they could make it a crew or extra cab with a somewhat decent sized bed, and a removable top ,it might sell.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Pass.

I think I would rather have my first car back...a 1987 Honda Civic hatchback that was the same color as that abomination.

JAGS

Hooked
When I envision a truck I see an f150 or the like. I had an explorer sport trac several years ago...actually two, and enjoyed it. Never used it for trails or off-roading.

The rendering just doesn't do anything for me given I have a family of four. Maybe they would have an "unlimited" version with four doors or similar.

I'm still NOT digging the stamped doors or the stock front bumper. [emoji16]

ScoobyCarolanNC

I like the side spare tire on the gladiator concept. Other than that it'll sell a ton for sure. Does Ram even make the Dakota anymore? If FCA positioned this as their "mini truck" it'd sell like hot cakes.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
The 4 door JK is the sweet spot for wheel base. Stretching the frame longer to accommodate 4 doors will make the Jeep truck a little long for trails.

If it remains the same length with 4 doors the bed will be useless. It's damn near useless on my JK8. Perhaps a little longer from to make crew cab like the Dakotas or Rangers had with jumper seats might fit the bill.

From a trails four-wheeling perspective yes, the current 4 door is about as long as you usually want. I'm speaking from a sales perspective, I see much potential for an AEV brute style truck to the mass market than the above single row concept.

Just look at the sales of 2 door JKs vs 4 doors.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
From a trails four-wheeling perspective yes, the current 4 door is about as long as you usually want. I'm speaking from a sales perspective, I see much potential for an AEV brute style truck to the mass market than the above single row concept.

Just look at the sales of 2 door JKs vs 4 doors.

I completely agree, but the price will be crazy high if you ask me. Enough that someone will consider a real truck and not a jeep truck.
But hell look what a new loaded 4 door costs..

crowrb29

Agreed that if it was a full size it would just be too damn long to do most of the trail type activities. I could see it as like an extended camping type vehicle but there are already a lot of other offerings that fit that bill. Being that it's a wrangler based truck it probably won't have too impressive of a towing or payload capacity either so I'm not so sure it would be too successful. Kinda pigeonholed to uber enthusiasts, which still makes it a hard sell considering some of the other offerings...

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I would consider a Jeep truck very seriously.... only if they made it a 4 door. I like the Brute, so if they could make something similar to that, Id be all for it. I realize the wheelbase would be too long for crawling, but for most trails and exploring I think it would be great. Plus a real truck bed. Otherwise, my current rig will be my last one.

krappy krawler

Hideous, I never saw the point. Either drive a truck or the jk you seem to get the worst of both worlds with this. 2 seater, with no HP for hauling.

Brute

Hooked
Okay...I own a Brute, and love it; however, with 139" wheelbase to accommodate 4 doors and a 5' bed, it's too long for tight trails and the break over angle is not great for climbing rocks...where it excels is steep & long hill ascents & descents, and off camber situations. It is great for camping & overlanding, and can carry a ton of gear...

I'm in the process of building a JK-6 with 110" wheelbase...and I like the fact that it is a 2-door with a small space behind the seats...sometimes less people in the vehicle is a good thing!

RedRum

Negative if I wanted a pickup I would buy a Dodge Ram ... Will it be cool seeing them on the roads and trails yes but it's just a niche market no true use ...

Top Bottom