LJ suggestions

NV375

My boss who I hope will sign up on the forum this weekend just got a new to him LJ Rubicon in bone stock form except for the tires were swapped for street tires.

I skipped the TJs so I do not have recommendations for him. He has had a CJ in the past. He wants 33s or 35s and wants a lift soon. Anything to avoid or look at? He has money for the lift and tires but not an unlimited budget. He was asking about a Rubicon Express lift good or bad? How much lift for 33s? for 35s? when would you need drive shafts? Any other thoughts? Thanks Dave

FastZach

I wouldn't go with a Rubicon Express kit as it gets very noisy and clanky. Clayton makes a really great lift and so does Full Traction. 33s will fit pretty easily on a 4" lift. For 35s you will need to trim the fenders or get aftermarket fenders or a small body lift but I would recommend the aftermarket fenders rather than raising the COG with a body lift.

NV375

I wouldn't go with a Rubicon Express kit as it gets very noisy and clanky. Clayton makes a really great lift and so does Full Traction. 33s will fit pretty easily on a 4" lift. For 35s you will need to trim the fenders or get aftermarket fenders or a small body lift but I would recommend the aftermarket fenders rather than raising the COG with a body lift.

Thanks for the reply.

thardy

Banned
One of my favorite setups for a TJ/LJ would be high line fenders and the Rancho 2.5 Rockcrawler kit. He'll be able to run 35s with no problem.

Reboot

Regardless what lift he chooses, do a small body lift and raise the tranny/transfer case. Install a flatter skid plate. With the LJ's longer wheelbase you will need this to improve the poor break over angle.

suicideking

The norm for TJ's to fit 35's would be a 4" suspension +1" body. Then he'd probably want the gears as low as he can, either 4.88 or 5.13 depending on whether he's does 33's or 35's. If 33's, he could get away with a shorter lift.

The best lift components are made by Currie. They are pretty expensive though. Mine came with a Teraflex long arm kit (insanely expensive). I might eventually switch to a Currie setup. Rock Krawler is also good. RE isn't terrible, but I would avoid it.

thardy

Banned
The norm for TJ's to fit 35's would be a 4" suspension +1" body. Then he'd probably want the gears as low as he can, either 4.88 or 5.13 depending on whether he's does 33's or 35's. If 33's, he could get away with a shorter lift.

The best lift components are made by Currie. They are pretty expensive though. Mine came with a Teraflex long arm kit (insanely expensive). I might eventually switch to a Currie setup. Rock Krawler is also good. RE isn't terrible, but I would avoid it.

2.5" lift, 1" body lift, and high line fenders will fit 35s all day.

suicideking

For me, that's the route I'd go. I prefer to keep things with as low of a COG as possible.

Just depends on what you're doing with it. I do mostly rock crawling and prefer more clearance. But I'm running the 4" + 1" with factory fenders (chopped). Fenders are next on my list though. Might do the hi lines to fit 37's or 40's later on.

Trailbush

Thanks Dave ... finally got enough time off to sign up. And thanks to all for the inputs. Leaning toward the Savvy/Currie 4" with antirock

Trailbush

Ordered the Savvy/Currie 4" with the antirock sway bar ... any shock advise? Leaning towards Belstein 5100s or Rancho 9000s.

suicideking

Ordered the Savvy/Currie 4" with the antirock sway bar ... any shock advise? Leaning towards Belstein 5100s or Rancho 9000s.

Nice, I'm jealous!

I will only buy Fox until I can afford King. If you want a nice shock for the price, get the Fox 2.0 monotube. A little more the two you mentioned, but definitely worth it. Much nicer ride and they can be fixed and/or tuned. I know the Bilstein are essentially disposable if they break in any way. Plus pretty stiff ride, tend to leak. I had them on previous Jeep and didn't like them at all.

The Rancho aren't bad, but not as nice as the Fox. Rancho are adjustable which some like, but the adjuster knob is flimsy and easily breaks off if you play in the rocks. It can be replaced, but just an annoyance.

Trailbush

Nice, I'm jealous!

I will only buy Fox until I can afford King. If you want a nice shock for the price, get the Fox 2.0 monotube. A little more the two you mentioned, but definitely worth it. Much nicer ride and they can be fixed and/or tuned. I know the Bilstein are essentially disposable if they break in any way. Plus pretty stiff ride, tend to leak. I had them on previous Jeep and didn't like them at all.

The Rancho aren't bad, but not as nice as the Fox. Rancho are adjustable which some like, but the adjuster knob is flimsy and easily breaks off if you play in the rocks. It can be replaced, but just an annoyance.

SK thanks for the input. Will check out the fox shocks. With the antirock, supposed to be more body roll. Heard a decent set of shocks can reduce or eliminate the body roll

holliewood61

He could look into doing some high line work. Heres an lj we picked up a couple weeks ago running 34" swampers and just a 1" body lift to accommodate the motor mount lift and tummy tuck.

BlackBandit

Get a half top. Those LJs look sexy with half tops with their rear roll bars removed they look like a jeep pickup :)

Top Bottom