Jeep JK Wrangler Front Axle Shaft Removal & Replacement

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Whether you're installing a new set of front axle shafts or, are in need of pulling a busted one on the trail, this write-up will help explain the steps needed to do just that. As you will see in the "what you will need list" below, not a whole lot is needed but, some of what you do need is very specific and not something you can just find anywhere. Needless to say, you really should make sure that you get these tools before you start pulling anything apart. I do apologize ahead of time for the quality of the pics as it was not our intension to use them for a write-up. They worked well enough and so I used them :)

What You Will Need
• 12 Point 13mm Box Wrench
• 21mm Wrench
• 19mm Socket
• 36mm Socket
• Torque Wrench
• Breaker Bar
• Pry Bar
• Zip Ties

Front Axle Shaft Removal/Replacement
1. Using a 19mm socket, crack the lug nuts loose but do not remove on the wheel of which you will need to remove. Place a jack under the base of your front axle's control arm and raise it up until the wheel slightly off the ground.

main.php

2. Remove the lug nuts and then the wheel and set it under the frame rail of your Jeep for safety.
main.php

3. Using a 36mm socket, remove the large hub nut. If you have help, having someone step on the brakes during this process will help make it easier. If not, you can use a pry bar positioned across the wheel studs to help brace it and keep it from moving.
main.php

4. Using a 21mm wrench, remove the 2 bolts securing your brake caliper to the knuckle.
main.php

5. Carefully remove the brake caliper and zip tie it onto your lower control arm or frame so that it's out of the way and not hanging from the brake line.
main.php

6. Pry off the speed sensor cable from its retaining clip.
main.php

7. Follow the speed sensor cable up to the back of the frame rail and unplug it. If you prefer, you can disconnect the speed sensor from the wheel bearing (shown below) instead using an 8mm allen wrench.
main.php

main.php

8. Using a 12 point 13mm wrench, remove the 3 bolts (2 above and 1 below) securing the hub/wheel bearing to the knuckle.
main.php

main.php

9. Remove the rotor, dust shield and hub/wheel bearing and set it aside.
main.php

10. Remove the axle shaft.
main.php

11. If it didn't come out with your axle shaft, you will need to look inside your axle tube and phish out the plastic shaft guide as it will prevent you from reinstalling your old shaft or installing a new one. This guide is not needed and can be discarded.
main.php

12. Reverse steps for reinstallation. Tighten the following bolts and nuts to factory torque specs listed below:

• Hub/Wheel Bearing Bolts = 75 ft. lbs.
• Axle Hub Nut = 100 ft. lbs.
• Caliper Bolts = 120 ft. lbs.
• Lug Nuts = 95 ft. lbs.​

That's it in a nutshell. With this, you can now remove and/or replace a Jeep JK Wrangler front axle shaft in your driveway or out on the trail. :yup:

FoxC

very helpful thread. I was just about to ask for some info on this very subject...thanks!:thumb:

TwtPunk08JK

That's it in a nutshell. With this, you can now remove and/or replace a Jeep JK Wrangler front axle shaft in your driveway or out on the trail. :yup:

I love how Eddie always acts as though everything mechanical is easy!
Great write-up Eddie, but I hope that when the time comes that I need to replace my axle shaft on the trail, I've got some of my mechanic buddies with me. :crazyeyes:

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Thanks for this one too! With your guy's help I will be able to work on my own stuff.. Less $$$ more knowledge.

Paratroopers stay up longer!

JKbrick

Getting ready to do sleeves and gussets and have a question about axle gear oil. Since I have a Rubicon do I need to add an additive to my axles when I change the gear oil? Thank you

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Getting ready to do sleeves and gussets and have a question about axle gear oil. Since I have a Rubicon do I need to add an additive to my axles when I change the gear oil? Thank you

Nope. Friction modifier is only required if you have a limited slip differential and, even if you did need it, just about every synthetic gear oil will have it in it anyway.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Thx for the write up. The photos are fine. I've started a 3-ring binder for common field repairs I'll carry with me and this one will be in it for sure.:yup::thumb:

Rebel JK

Thx for the write up. The photos are fine. I've started a 3-ring binder for common field repairs I'll carry with me and this one will be in it for sure.:yup::thumb:

Excellent idea! Much more user friendly than the crappy Haynes manual I carry. It's pretty much only good for a starting a signal fire.

Tabers

Thanks for the idea ... while reading the write up i was thinking to myself " i should print this ... i bet it will come in handy one day"

Thanks again for the awesome write up!

Top Bottom