Any difference between 2007-11 body and 2012+ body?

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Specifically will the complete dash swap over?

I can get a 2007 2 door 3.8 manual sport with a blown motor for 3k and a written off 2014-15 4 door 3.6 auto for under 10k. So I'd only have about 15k in it at the most when you can't get a 3.6 auto 2 door in Australia for less than 30k.

I've seen a thread somewhere where they swapped a 3.6 motor for a 3.8 and it was a bolt in so I assume the chassis hasn't changed but did the body tub change at all? I'm thinking of just swapping everything over, power train, axles, dash and interior if it will fit. Obviously the interior from the B pillar back won't but I'm thinking rhino lining it and ditching the back seat

I'm looking to put together a cheap 3.6 auto 2 door for the wife

rewolfe13

The frame and tub are the same. The only difference are the things bolted to it. You will need the bracing behind the dash, but it should be easy. Seeing how you have a full doner vehicle. Good luck.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
The frame and tubs are not the same. The frame is mainly the motor mounts. The tubs have a few differences including all the mounts for the dash. Also the middle loop on the top of the windshield is different location on a 2007 along with a few other things. You can make the swap work but it will be more than just transferring parts l.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
The frame and tubs are not the same. The frame is mainly the motor mounts. The tubs have a few differences including all the mounts for the dash. Also the middle loop on the top of the windshield is different location on a 2007 along with a few other things. You can make the swap work but it will be more than just transferring parts l.

How sure are you? I know there's a guy on JKF that swapped a 3.6 into a 2008 and the engine mounts were a straight bolt in. He only had issues with the wiring and AC lines but it sounds like the firewall pressing was the same. I've got a 2015 but it's been a couple of years since I've had a look under the bonnet of a 2007 for comparison.

I know there is some minor body changes like the rear pinch seam and I'd expect a couple different brackets behind the dash but after searching the Internet there seems to be a lot of misinformation out there so was hoping to hear from someone who has worked on a number of them over the years

Wardell

In 2011 they updated the interior design of the Jeep. It was mostly cosmetic changes with better quality materials, updated styling, a different steering wheel, etc. I honestly don't know for sure, but there might also have been other changes behind the dash that could make swapping the dash difficult, like 13_gecko_rubi said. Hopefully there are a few people here who know more about what changed that could give you some good advice.

Last edited:

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I'm not saying there are major changes, just that there are changes between them that you will have to deal with

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
All good mate. I'm not expecting it to be a straight swap but if there's major differences I might look at just swapping the powertrain or swapping in an Isuzu 4JJ1 3L diesel instead

Top Bottom