2016 WAYALIFE New Year Kick Off Run Photo Highlights

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As we have done for as long as I can remember, Cindy and I made our way down to the Mojave Desert to kick off the New Year with good friends both old and new and out on the trail. For 2016, we decided to revisit a part of the Mojave that we hadn't been out to in a few years and it is known as, the Black Mountain Wilderness. Along the way, we made our way up through a historical stage route where travelers back in the late 1800's left their signature along side petroglyphs that are thousands of years old. We also visited caves that were once inhabited by Native Americans and dug for fire opals at an old mine that was once owned by the Tiffany Corporation. Of course, to wrap things up, we drove out to the middle of an ancient dry lake to pose for a group shot and to have some fun racing our Jeeps around it. Here are some photo highlights of all the fun we had, I hope you enjoy them.

Meeting up with everyone over at the Flying J in Barstow.
main.php

main.php

A quick drivers meeting before heading out.
main.php

At the trailhead and airing down.
main.php

Our first stop was over at the mouth of Black Rock Canyon.
main.php

main.php

main.php

This canyon is a place where ancient Native Americans had been leaving petroglyphs for thousands of years but it's the signature of an A. Tillman of San Francisco that left his signature here back in July of 1874 that a lot of people come to see here.
main.php

Moochie and Adam used the opportunity to do a little geocaching while we were there.
main.php

Moving out and exploring the beautiful Mojave Desert.
main.php

main.php

main.php

Our next stop was over at a grouping of caves that Native Americans used to use for shelter.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

On the move again and heading out to our next destination.
main.php

main.php

And here we are, Scouts Cove.
main.php

Back in the early 20th century, Scouts Cove was a fire opal mine that the Tiffany Corporation used to own and operate.
main.php

The miners who worked this claim dug out this old tuff tower and made it into their home.
main.php

main.php

Making our way over to the digging site to try our luck at finding some fire opals.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

A shot of a few specimens we were able to dig up.
main.php

main.php

A look back at all our Jeeps before heading out again.
main.php

Our next stop for the day was a place known as Inscription Canyon.
main.php

For thousands of years, Native Americans pecked away at the basalt to create intricate geometric forms and illustrations of big horn sheep.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

After exploring and examining the petroglyphs in Inscription Canyon, we made our way out to the middle of dry lake out in the Superior Valley.
main.php

It's hard to imagine that about 12,000 years ago, this was all under water. Of course today, it makes a great place to take a group shot of all our Jeeps.
main.php

main.php

main.php

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
main.php

On our way back to civilization, we decided to make one more stop over to an area known as Murphy's Well.
main.php

main.php

main.php

As was the case with most of the other sites we visited, beautiful petroglyphs can be found here as well.
main.php

main.php

main.php

WooHoo!! Off the trail and airing up before sundown :crazyeyes:
main.php

Time to pack it in over at Tommy's Burgers and kill that New Year's resolution to lose some weight with a big fat juicy chili burger!
main.php

And finally, a final CHEERS to the few who decided to stick around to the bitter end.
main.php

To see even more pics that others who joined us on this trip took, simply click on this link:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?33199-2016-WAYALIFE-New-Year-Kick-Off-Run-01-02-16/page12

I hope you all enjoyed seen pics from our 2016 New Year Kick Off Run. A BIG THANKS needs to go out to everyone who joined us out in the Mojave Desert and made this trip so much fun. Cindy and I would like to wish all of you a wonderful year to come and with any luck, we'll see you on the trail. :cool:

Moochie

Great photos! A fun time again, exploring the Mohave Desert. Thank you for leading us on another adventure. [emoji122]

JKRicky

Another huge thanks to you both and as always, awesome pics! We had a great time and look forward to the next trip. Happy New Year!

RockyJk

Thanks again for the awesome trip my brother and I had blast!

Also learned there were massive battles near inscription canyon 7k years ago lol

Trail JK

Awesome trip! Great photos! Thank you again, we're already looking forward to the next adventure!

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Thanks again for the awesome trip my brother and I had blast!

Also learned there were massive battles near inscription canyon 7k years ago lol

Proof women never forget, it took them 2,000 years to rebuild the tribe. But they won their territory back..

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
Thank you Eddie and Cindy for taking the time to drive down and show us around the great outdoors! Was great to get out and celebrate the new year with friends. The family had an awesome time and we'll certainly be adding this trip to another great J.A.G.S. outing!!

Top Bottom