what to do about my NSG370?

Gallamine

Howdy all, My '05 LJ's NSG370 transmission has developed the can't-shift-into-reverse problem (along a bad main bearing). Reputable transmission shop says it'll cost >$2,500 to fix it (repair kit, main bearing kit and lots of labor). Reputable transmission seller in SC says they can sell a rebuilt one for $1950 (so, probably >$2100 after shipping). I've also found a NSG370 on eBay from a '06 that supposedly only has 13,000 miles on it - $1,250 shipped (and I keep my old one). If I buy the one on eBay I run the risk that it too will develop the problem (though supposedly less of an issue in '06) and the transmission place in SC (All Transmission) says the 1st gear also goes in these.

So, what to do? Spend $1,200 with a little more risk, or $2,200 with less risk?

I've considered putting in a NV3550 but I'd rather not do that, as I like the 6 speed and would rather not make too many changes from the stock config. especially in areas I don't know much about (like engines and transmissions).

Help me Wayalife, you're my only hope.

WJCO

Meme King
Howdy all, My '05 LJ's NSG370 transmission has developed the can't-shift-into-reverse problem (along a bad main bearing). Reputable transmission shop says it'll cost >$2,500 to fix it (repair kit, main bearing kit and lots of labor). Reputable transmission seller in SC says they can sell a rebuilt one for $1950 (so, probably >$2100 after shipping). I've also found a NSG370 on eBay from a '06 that supposedly only has 13,000 miles on it - $1,250 shipped (and I keep my old one). If I buy the one on eBay I run the risk that it too will develop the problem (though supposedly less of an issue in '06) and the transmission place in SC (All Transmission) says the 1st gear also goes in these.

So, what to do? Spend $1,200 with a little more risk, or $2,200 with less risk?

I've considered putting in a NV3550 but I'd rather not do that, as I like the 6 speed and would rather not make too many changes from the stock config. especially in areas I don't know much about (like engines and transmissions).

Help me Wayalife, you're my only hope.

I would get the used one and take the risk myself. Try to find out why it is being sold. Does the ebay one have any warranty? Sometimes they will.

Gallamine

It's being sold be a Jeep shop in MI. Says it came out of a TJ with 13,000 miles that was doing a hemi swap and wanted another transmission. Pictures look clean. Vehicle was used in the south.

Top Bottom