From mild to slightly less mild TJ build

Roblaza

Hello everyone, I've been a lurker for a while and figured it was time to start a thread to share what i've been able to accomplish with my tj, as well as what i'm hoping to accomplish in the future.

A little background...I bought this 97 TJ sport about 2 and a half years ago from a friend whom I met through another Canadian Jeep Site. When I got it, it needed a little work; Nothing major. Some paint on the pre-installed flat tube fenders and a couple holes in the floor patched up. After that was said and done it looked like this:
Jeep 1.jpg

Next up was the regular "new vehicle service"...All fluids were changed, brakes, lights, ect. I also replaced the bald 33's with new Trail diggers, which in hind sight were still too small for my liking...but being new to jeeping I was clueless. I then opted for a 4'' lift to get it a little higher, and ditched the 2'' budget boost. AGAIN, hindsight is coming back into the mix here and I now know that instead of opting for the cheap option, I should have saved some more cash and went with a better quality kit from the get-go. I have since replaced about 90% of the components with much better items. I have also changed the tires from the 33'' trail diggers with 35'' MTR Kevlars which in my opinion are absolutely amazing tires.

Over the next winter I threw some more money and some more time at it and upgraded the steering, brakes lines, installed a SYE and currie arms, various skid plates, and assembled some rear corner armour and tube flares from Trail Head Customs here in Ontario. I also bought and built their DIY rear bumper and tire carrier as well as rock sliders with tube steps and rock rings. All in all i've managed to come up with a half decent capable rig that I truly enjoy driving over everything I can. It currently looks like this:
Jeep 2.jpg 20150930_184012.jpg 20150816_132024.jpg 20150816_132045.jpg FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Next on my list of things to accomplish this winter is the axles. I've got a ford 8.8 with 4.10s and an artec truss that is ready and waiting to be installed, as well as a hp30 with an artec truss that is also ready and waiting to be installed. I'm also going to grab some chromoly shafts front and rear to attempt to avoid breaking shafts with the 35s (only on failure so far on the stock axles, luckily). Not only that, seeing as TMR Customs is only about 25 minutes from my house, i'll by buying a trail cage from them as well.

To date here are most of the things I've been able to get Done. I say most because I'm sure I've forgotten some.

4"rough country springs
Rough country lower adjustable arms with tmr Johnny Joint guts and poly bushings
Currie adjustable uppers with Johnny joints
Rubicon express mono tube shocks
Rubicon express front track bar
JKS rear track bar bracket
Grand cherokee steering with Dakota steering gear
Rubicon express flex lines
Alloy USA ball joints
Lokka locker in the front
Teraflex oil pan skid
Tom woods rear shaft
Rugged ridge sye
Rebuilt trans with upgraded valve body, hd torque converter and relocated vent
Trailhead customs front tube fenders
Trailhead customs rear armour and tube flares
Trailhead customs rock sliders and tube steps
trailhead customs rock rings
Trailhead customs rear bumper and swingout
Home brew oba using factory ac compressor with mac air horn for kicks
Rtx led lighting (7.5", 21.5", 2X2 pods)
Motobilt hood bracket for 21.5"bar
Super wader snorkel
Custom hid projectors (Morimoto mini h1 with control harness)
Superwinch lp8500 (hoping to upgrade this spring)
35"mtr Kevlars

Thanks for reading, and i'll try to update this thread when more progress is being made.

Last edited:

FS82TJ

Hey man, your rig looks great, I to recently got a TJ and I'm looking to make some changes. Just out of curiosity why did you dislike the budget lift kit?
I picked up this 2002 tj a month ago after going off roading with a friend for the first time (I was hooked).

I don't want to go crazy but also don't like making mistakes. Any insight you give would be helpful

Attachments

• 1452050002852.jpg
    1452050002852.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 119

dillard09

Good looking ride. Sounds like you have a great build going and planned. I had a YJ with an 8.8 and detroit and the hp30 with a lunch box locker. I ran cromoly shafts in both with axles and 4.56. I ran 35s and never had a problem. I thought they were great little axles for 35s.
Good luck with the build and welcome to the family!

dillard09

Hey man, your rig looks great, I to recently got a TJ and I'm looking to make some changes. Just out of curiosity why did you dislike the budget lift kit?
I picked up this 2002 tj a month ago after going off roading with a friend for the first time (I was hooked).

I don't want to go crazy but also don't like making mistakes. Any insight you give would be helpful

Welcome to the family. If you want some advice the best thing to do is start your own thread and introduce yourself. Give us you end goals with your jeep like tire size, trail usage, and anything else you can think of. The peeps on here can point ya in the rite direction.

Ddays

Hooked
Really nice Jeep! I've been kicking the idea around to build a nice TJ as a long term project and when I see nice ones like yours I want to do it even more.
BTW, welcome to WAL

Roblaza

I got away from the budget boost simply from a personal preference. I've always been a firm believer of "doing it right the first time"...so having a budget boost when what I really wanted was a coil lift was no beuno to me. There's nothing wrong with budget boosts in my mind, but I also know that I wouldnt have been happy with it down the road. Thats just me... Do what you feel will make you happy.

Good looking ride. Sounds like you have a great build going and planned. I had a YJ with an 8.8 and detroit and the hp30 with a lunch box locker. I ran cromoly shafts in both with axles and 4.56. I ran 35s and never had a problem. I thought they were great little axles for 35s.
Good luck with the build and welcome to the family!
Thanks for the comments and the welcome, I appreciate both! I'm excited to get the new axles swapped in and i'm looking forward to wheeling with the 4.10s as opposed to the 3.07s i have now. Being an automatic it is definitely something I could deal with, but the shorter gears will make it that much more capable and controlable.

Really nice Jeep! I've been kicking the idea around to build a nice TJ as a long term project and when I see nice ones like yours I want to do it even more.
BTW, welcome to WAL

Thank you. If you have the ability and resources, why not take on a project? If I could, I'd be into a JKUR but at the current time it's not an option, so I have to do what I can with what I have. lol

Top Bottom