will more caster help my jku resist wind gusts at highway speeds?

tharb5111

It has been gusty here and I have noticed sudden gusts seem to push the jeep around a lot.

is this normal jeep behavior at highway speeds?

I have 2 inch lift. 35s. Adjustable lowers with 4.5 degrees caster.

will dialing in 6 degrees caster help the jeep resist wind gusts?

Curious if all of you experience your Jeeps getting shoved around the lane in winds.

never noticed it in my stock set up. But now with the lift abs larger tires wind has become a bit more noticeable on handling.

WJCO

Meme King
It has been gusty here and I have noticed sudden gusts seem to push the jeep around a lot.

Curious if all of you experience your Jeeps getting shoved around the lane in winds.

never noticed it in my stock set up. But now with the lift abs larger tires wind had become a bit more noticeable on handling.

I have never heard that question before, but giving it some thought.............maybe. More positive caster will help return your steering wheel to center 'faster.' But at the same time, if the wind moves your vehicle....no matter what, you have to steer back to that location. If you're are indeed having handling problems in general (not just on windy days) and you think caster is the culprit, maybe adjust it up to 5.5 or 6 and re-test drive just to see. But I would hate to see you have to go through dealing with that if you have another problem. Higher caster WILL improve handling, but not sure if it can overcome an act of God.

Angry Aussie

Don't think there's much you can do, the jeep alone has the aerodynamics of a brick wall and once you lift it and more air can go underneath the jeep making it even less aerodynamic than it was already. You just have to stay on your toes in really windy weather. I think it's just part of owning a jeep. But maybe I'm wrong and someone has a trick to making it easier to drive in heavy winds

tharb5111

Don't think there's much you can do, the jeep alone has the aerodynamics of a brick wall and once you lift and more air can go underneath the jeep making it even less aerodynamic than it was already. You just have to stay on your toes in really windy weather. I think it's just part of owning a jeep. But maybe I'm wrong and someone has a trick to making it easier to drive in heavy winds

Does yours move around in wind gusts too?

Mine drives straight and handles well but recently it has become windy abs I can feel it pushing on the jeep more than I've ever noticed before. I have to fight the gusts a bit to stay on track. Never noticed it before when my jeep was stock.

I guess I could dial in more caster and see what happens but id like to hear how others handle in the winds with 5 or 6 degrees of caster. Don't want to mess with it if it isn't gonna help though. Sounds like it may just be normal aerodynamic response of the lifted jeep with large tires and squishy suspension? ???

ctennant87

As much as I wish it would, I don't think there is much that will help a lifted box on wheels in the wind. If someone has more info I'm interested though. 4 inch Lift running 4.5 degree caster.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
It's just part of owning a lifted jeep. Positive caster will help with handling but when you're driving on the freeway and there are healthy winds, you're gonna really feel it. It took me a while to get used to it, but now it doesn't bother me so much. It would be worth checking all front end components and making sure everything is tight too.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked

never noticed it in my stock set up. But now with the lift abs larger tires wind has become a bit more noticeable on handling.

won't help in the wind, the Jeep is a giant box, may as well be a sail when the wind is blowing.

you should drive on 287 towards Amarillo when the wind is really blowing, the wind will make you change lanes :eek:

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Nope, nothing will stop you from blowing around on the road. As other have said, you are driving a brick with wheels.

Angry Aussie

Does yours move around in wind gusts too?

Mine drives straight and handles well but recently it has become windy abs I can feel it pushing on the jeep more than I've ever noticed before. I have to fight the gusts a bit to stay on track. Never noticed it before when my jeep was stock.

I guess I could dial in more caster and see what happens but id like to hear how others handle in the winds with 5 or 6 degrees of caster. Don't want to mess with it if it isn't gonna help though. Sounds like it may just be normal aerodynamic response of the lifted jeep with large tires and squishy suspension? ???

Mine does get blown all over the road on really windy, for me it just means I have to really pay attention while I'm driving. This may sound crazy but if your driving through a heavy crosswind I've noticed if I put my windows a few inches it does help alleviate some of the being blown from side to side. It helps a little it seems but you will always be battling the wind driving a jeep.

You will eventually get used to it and not notice it so much.

Top Bottom