2011 JKU Rubicon Noob Questions

moto450r

I just bought a 2011 JKU Rubicon and I have 5 days to return it 'No questions asked" :rolleyes2: . I'm going through as many things I can think of before the 5 day window closes. I will have 30 days to identify the smaller stuff but I want to hold the dealers feet to the fire for the big stuff during the first 5 days.

I have a question about the e-disc sway bar. (and I'm sure more questions before Thursday)

Should the "Sway Bar" instrument panel light come ON every time the key is placed in the ON position? It is NOT ON like the rest of the idiot lights when the key is initially turned ON.

JeepFan

Hooked
On my 2009 and 2015 Rubicon, the e-disco light does not come on with the key in the on position. I'm sure that is normal.

moto450r

Ok thanks. I wasn't able to get the light to come on during the test drive, after pressing the switch. Then, this morning I checked to see if I could find the light, per the owners manual, and noticed it didn't come on with the key ON.

If I can't get the light to come ON today, how can you tell if the sway bar disconnect is actually working?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Ok thanks. I wasn't able to get the light to come on during the test drive, after pressing the switch. Then, this morning I checked to see if I could find the light, per the owners manual, and noticed it didn't come on with the key ON.

If I can't get the light to come ON today, how can you tell if the sway bar disconnect is actually working?

It will only disco in 4lo and stay discoed under 15 mph. It will automatically connect at that point

JeepFan

Hooked

This would work best on dirt but, if you can find a nice quiet and straight street, shift into 4-Hi at a slow speed and press the disco switch. The light may flash for a few seconds but, when the light is on solid, the sway bar is disconnected. Press it a second time to engage the sway bar. Again, the light may flash a few seconds before before the sway bar re-connects. Don't forget to shift back into 2WD after the test.

moto450r

It should disconnect in 4-Hi driving under 15MPH. At least mine works that way. :yup:

That's what I thought but at the time I didn't have the owners manual. Thing is I never saw the light at all. Never flashed, blinked, nothing.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
It should disconnect in 4-Hi driving under 15MPH. At least mine works that way. :yup:

Thanks for the correction tony. I remember one of the guys out this way having t not disco in 4hi and it only doing it in 4lo so that stuck with me I guess. My mistake OP

moto450r

Thanks for the correction tony. I remember one of the guys out this way having t not disco in 4hi and it only doing it in 4lo so that stuck with me I guess. My mistake OP

No worries.
Per the owners manual, the Lockers only work in 4L but the Sway Bar will disconnect in either 4H/4L....... Which leads me to....The lockers are not working either.....

JeepFan

Hooked

No worries Steve!

It sure seems like Moto's e disco isn't working. Hopefully he can do a little more digging to verify it's functioning.

Zstairlessone

Which side (top or bottom) of the locker button are you pushing while in 4-lo? Push the bottom of the button once for rear, second time for front to lock, push top once to unlock front second time to unlock rear

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
If you jack it up so all 4 are off the ground, turn the key to on and shift trans to N and transfer to 4L with the engine OFF. Then press the switches as described above for both the lockers sand the sway bar you will be able to check operation very easily as there is no load on the axles. Then spin one wheel and all 4 should turn in the same direction. The sway bar disconnect makes quite a loud clunk with operating which is easy to hear with the engine off

moto450r

Which side (top or bottom) of the locker button are you pushing while in 4-lo? Push the bottom of the button once for rear, second time for front to lock, push top once to unlock front second time to unlock rear

Pushing the bottom of the button. One push nothing, two pushes nothing and third push still nothing.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Pushing the bottom of the button. One push nothing, two pushes nothing and third push still nothing.

Pull the plastic side panel off (it pull right off with a bit of force) and make sure the wire to the back of the switch didn't just come off. It is easy to see if you pull off the side panel.

JeepFan

Hooked
Sounds like you have some issues with the Jeep better resolved by the people you bought it from.

Especially being that your still within the 5 day return policy.

Good luck! I hope everything is resolved quickly.

moto450r

Sounds like you have some issues with the Jeep better resolved by the people you bought it from.

Especially being that your still within the 5 day return policy.

Good luck! I hope everything is resolved quickly.

Yep.
I took it back to them yesterday to work on it. Good thing is the 5 day return policy is frozen while they work on it.

moto450r

Did you get it back working yet?

No. They still have the jeep. They ordered a switch assembly and are suppose to be receiving it today. I won't be getting the jeep back until next week because of all the other stuff they are fixing too.

I'll update ya'll after they actually fix it.

Top Bottom