4 Wheeling on BLM Land in New Mexico

JoeB-JKURX

This message is to inform Wayalifers of important upcoming events and has been coordinated with Wayalife to assure compliance with forum rules.

The National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council (NOHVCC) is scheduling a series of meetings across the country with invitations extended to BLM personnel and to off-road vehicle enthusiasts. New Mexico is the next state on the list and meetings, as described in this posting http://www.nohvcc.org/Resources/blm-management-plan/blm-plan-meetings, will take place from 6:00pm to 9:00pm at the dates and locations listed below:

Albuquerque: February 2, 2016, Holiday Inn & Suites, 5050 Jefferson St NE, 87109
Las Cruces: February 3, 2016, Holiday Inn Express, 2635 S Valley Drive, 88005
Roswell: February 4, 2016, Holiday Inn Express, 2300 N Main St, 88201
Hernandez: February 16, 2016, Hernandez Center, 19418 A US Highway 84 87537
Farmington: February 17, 2016, Red Lion Hotel, 700 Scott Ave, 87401

The overall goal (from our perspective) of these meetings is to keep what access we have and, hopefully, gain BLM support to grant even more access. We'd, obviously, want to convince BLM reps that we are responsible parties that follow the rules (such as Tread Lightly) and do what we can to convince others to do so as well. One of the things that motivated me to suggest this posting on the Wayalife forum was a response I got from a NOHVCC rep that they had had trouble getting 4WD folks engaged in a state where they had already done this (they did get good Motorcycle and UTV participation).

Around Albuquerque, BLM is almost the only game in town when it comes to hard/extreme trails. This is true for other areas of the state (and many other areas of the country) as well. This may be our last/best opportunity to advance our positions relative to 4 wheeling in a collaborative environment before Vehicle Travel Management Plans are cast in government concrete. All Wayalifers that are concerned about access to BLM lands are highly encouraged to attend one or more of these meetings.

Last edited:

JoeB-JKURX

Follow-up to NOHVCC Meeting with BLM for Off Roading in New Mexico

With efforts of some of the local jeep clubs in publicizing the first of 4 NOHVCC (see first post on this thread) meetings scheduled for New Mexico - held in Albuquerque, attendance by 4X4 enthusiasts was far greater than projected. Represented at the meeting were the BLM, New Mexico Game and Fish, New Mexico Off Highway Vehicle Alliance, several Jeep (4X4) clubs, a couple of motorcycle organizations and several ATV enthusiasts. Some of the major issues noted were:

1. Better coordination between agencies (state, federal) relative to access and consistent guidance for use of the land
2. BLM will specify which of their lands they would consider granting Off Highway Vehicle access (this will allow prospective users to assess the area for their particular activities)
3. BLM will specify lands that they would not likely grant OHV access (and the reasons why)
4. New Mexico state land stewards will do the same as the BLM regarding access
5. NOHVCC will begin the process of creating travel maps showing routes (and open travel areas) - integrating input from all stakeholders - showing proponents for each type of activity and the action they would like to see
6. BLM and state agencies will look into funding for facilities at the more heavily used areas (toilets, firepits, signs, etc.) and electronic media (maps and guidelines) for publication on the Internet
7. The head of the local BLM office expressed interest in designating a large area to the southwest of Albuquerque as an OHV area (designated routes and, perhaps, some open travel).

I had notified all Wayalife members identified as being from New Mexico (using the member search function) of this meeting. I didn't recognize the names of any among the names called out in the introductions and was a bit disappointed (but would very much appreciate it if any that did attend let me know). I know from my communication with Wayalife that he has undertaken initiatives like this in California (probably with less than desired results) and Nevada (perhaps with better results). The folks from state agencies and BLM that attended the meeting took note of the success in Colorado and Utah (and maybe a bit less in Arizona) in attracting the OHV business. They are very interested in fostering this and (at least to some degree) seem willing to put their money where their mouth is.

It was also noted that there are federal and private grants available to recognized non-profit organizations to assist (or even lead) in some of these initiatives.

Last edited:

JoeB-JKURX

Maps

Idaho is pretty good about this. There is even an online map showing all the trails ad includes seasonal availability.

http://idaho.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2252207eb95b49f99b2c05228831dfbb

You can even download to GPS if you are savvy.

Most agencies have electronic maps (and they can be loaded into things like PDF maps). The problem in New Mexico and many other states is that routes either dead end at agency boundaries or change designation (e.g., all vehicles on BLM but ATV only on Forest Service). The NOHVCC folks have done this in Montana (with a lot of success among ATV and motorcycles but less so for the 4x4 folks because of their low participation). They will likely get to Idaho soon as the fellow that facilitating the New Mexico series of meetings lives in Idaho.

turbineguy

Most agencies have electronic maps (and they can be loaded into things like PDF maps). The problem in New Mexico and many other states is that routes either dead end at agency boundaries or change designation (e.g., all vehicles on BLM but ATV only on Forest Service). The NOHVCC folks have done this in Montana (with a lot of success among ATV and motorcycles but less so for the 4x4 folks because of their low participation). They will likely get to Idaho soon as the fellow that facilitating the New Mexico series of meetings lives in Idaho.

I just don't think we have that big of an issue here, at least from my perspective. About the only controversy we have is when the dirt bikers have a race on BLM land every year, and try and shut off the trails (for rider safety) to recreational users. It almost came to blows two years ago.

Right now a lot of trails are shut down though due to the Soda Springs fire.

Probably the hardest to deal with out of all the agencies is the Forest Service.

JoeB-JKURX

Forest Service is Next for New Mexico

I just don't think we have that big of an issue here, at least from my perspective. About the only controversy we have is when the dirt bikers have a race on BLM land every year, and try and shut off the trails (for rider safety) to recreational users. It almost came to blows two years ago.

Right now a lot of trails are shut down though due to the Soda Springs fire.

Probably the hardest to deal with out of all the agencies is the Forest Service.

I hear you about the FS. There are a few districts here in NM where they have yet to publish Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) and they have given verbal OK to play in the arroyos (where most of the good stuff is) as long as we "try to stay on existing two track as much as we can". Where MVUMs are in force, however, a lot of the rangers are hard-ass and will ticket you if you pull off to take a whiz. The problem is (with the MVUM routes) that you can do most of them in a Prius. The NOVHCC had some luck getting things relaxed with the FS in Montana. Perhaps they can help here as well. The plan is to schedule a series of meetings with the FS like the BLM meetings now taking place. For some reason (associated with one of the sponsors of the BLM meetings), they couldn't get the FS into it just yet.

Top Bottom