34-10.50x17" anyone have them?

reelsilly

The time will be drawing near for my tire purchase. I've been looking at a 285 or 295-70 17. I just saw a 34 10.50 that the say measures around 33.5". They are the KO2. I normally don't care so much about tires but I'm taking my time on the decision now.

Not being rude to you guys, but I don't want to hear how great 35" or 37" tires are. Im not in a position to re-gear so I'm not getting 35's.

I'm assuming because of the weight of the tires, the 34-10.50's would be the same as the 35's, meaning a re-gear would be in store.

Sorry for the 47,897,765,534 tire question. I know a lot of people ask about them. I usually just buy my vehicles equipped and ready to roll. This one is stock so I can enjoy adding stuff.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Just to be clear, you do not NEED to regear when you go up in tire size. It helps in a lot of ways but it is not needed. Its also not the weight that creates the desire to regear, it's the rolling diameter of the tire.

Now, to be honest I don't understand what you are asking. Do you want people to confirm the actual tire size of the 34x10.50/17s or something else?

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1452601692.792176.jpg
I had 285/75/16 On my old 2 door, they only measured 32" mounted. I was running a 2.5 budget boost with no wheel spacers, they rubbed the sway bar when turning tight.
I will be putting 35" on my JKU

Drunic

I have the bfg ko2 34x10.5x17, they are around 32.5 in on the ground. I was hoping for a little bigger, my friend just got the 35s and are about 1.5 in larger. Gas milage the 34s are about stock, I have 3.21 and they are ok, downshift for hills tho.

Scrambler

I have 295-70-17. For these on a unlimited, you will need to regear. Otherwise very sluggish.

I'm going to disagree with you on the "need" for the regear and revert back to Mr. Ty's earlier statement. I'm running 315/70r17's and don't feel that I need it. Mine is DD and it does fine. Do I WANT a regear? Yes. To say that it needs a regear is somewhat of a misleading statement, when in fact, they are very driveable on a day to day basis.

On a side note, I'm still unclear on what the OP is trying to get answers on. Maybe we'll get some clarification soon.

reelsilly

34-10.50x17" anyone have them?

Sorry I was vague Guys, looooooong night in the patrol car, lol. Pretty much, I have a 255 size stock tire now. I'm getting bigger tires and am staying in the 33" range for a lot of reasons. I was browsing tires and saw this 34 10.50. I guess my question was on the tire size and gearing.

I'm going to lift my jeep around 2", nothing major, and I will be adding tires. I would like to know a good tire size, in yalls opinion, that wouldn't kill my power and have the need to re-gear. Would I be better staying in the 285/295 range or could I run this 34" or the 315 and still be okay?

Also, my off-road time will be sand at the beach, light trails, mud. No rocks around these parts for me to play on.

Again, I'm sorry for the vague or confusing OP. 16 hours in a charger dealing with ding dongs all night makes it difficult to form coherent thoughts, lol

Last edited:

reelsilly

Oh and thank you for the clarification on re-gearing. I understand it may not be "needed" but I don't want to struggle to roll through sand or a mud hole either.

This is why I've turned to you guys a few times now with some questions. All my answers are fairly consistent and allows me to better understand the issues or questions I have. Unlike some folks or places that swear a 4" lift and 37's are a must or your jeep is pointless, hahaha.

You guys on this forum get it, not everyone has a need or is in a position to run huge tires and lifts on their rig.

Thank you again!

aldaman

I would stick with the 285/295 (33") tire range. That will be a happy medium without really needing to regear. 315s? That would be doable but will you be happy overall w/out regearing most likely not (at least for me it wasn't.) Plus with a 2" lift you may have to trim your fenders, etc and that would be a whole other aspect when running 315/35s....

reelsilly

Thanks bud. It's definitely not a job for everyone. Low pay and long hours usually drives folks away from it. I'm 3rd generation in my family so its second nature to me really.

I can tell you all this though, WJCO's simple thank you means the world to us out here. Reading this forum and driving my jeep listening to music is my escape so it's nice to come here and see that there are like smart asses out there!!! Lmao

Thanks again!

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks bud. It's definitely not a job for everyone. Low pay and long hours usually drives folks away from it. I'm 3rd generation in my family so its second nature to me really.

I can tell you all this though, WJCO's simple thank you means the world to us out here. Reading this forum and driving my jeep listening to music is my escape so it's nice to come here and see that there are like smart asses out there!!! Lmao

Thanks again!

No problem. Life is too short and stressful. Just remember me if I'm in your area speeding past you on the highway! :cheesy:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I put 285/70r17s on my 2008 X four door. It was the 3.8 and a 6 speed standard. I didn't feel a difference as far as driving it in the terrain around here. I did not wheel that jeep all that much. Nothing even notably really either. Just for reference, I also had wheel spacers since I had factory wheels and was starting to look into a leveling kit at minimum due to rubbing the fender flares. I didn't want to cut them yet as I didn't know on how much lift i was going to do etc.

I traded it in on my 2014 Rubicon four door, it has the 3.6 and 5 speed auto. I made sure to get one with 4.10s as I wanted 35s as soon as I could. A lot of people seem to re-gear even with 35s. For what I do and the daily driving this jeep sees, I feel like the 35s and 4.10s are about right. The only time so far that I was wishing for different gears or a standard trans was when we were going between Durango and Silverton Colorado. On the highway it wanted to stay at a high rpm and a low gear to try and keep speed. So I would usually bump it up a gear and just slow down, not too big of a deal but if I lived there I would definitely look into re-gearing for the 35s. Once on the passes it was fine, no issues crawling. I want to go to 37s soon but will probably stay with the 4.10s until I can re-gear. My commute now isn't bad so I bet I wont even notice a difference.

I say get what tire size you want and then drive it to see if you feel like you need to re-gear. Being that you have a Sport I will say that you will most likely want to regear for 35s. So you may stick to 33s. I would look into a 33x12.50 though as the wider tire will help you out on the sand more. Bigger foot print. :thumb:

WJCO

Meme King
I put 285/70r17s on my 2008 X four door. It was the 3.8 and a 6 speed standard. I didn't feel a difference as far as driving it in the terrain around here. I did not wheel that jeep all that much. Nothing even notably really either. Just for reference, I also had wheel spacers since I had factory wheels and was starting to look into a leveling kit at minimum due to rubbing the fender flares. I didn't want to cut them yet as I didn't know on how much lift i was going to do etc.

I traded it in on my 2014 Rubicon four door, it has the 3.6 and 5 speed auto. I made sure to get one with 4.10s as I wanted 35s as soon as I could. A lot of people seem to re-gear even with 35s. For what I do and the daily driving this jeep sees, I feel like the 35s and 4.10s are about right. The only time so far that I was wishing for different gears or a standard trans was when we were going between Durango and Silverton Colorado. On the highway it wanted to stay at a high rpm and a low gear to try and keep speed. So I would usually bump it up a gear and just slow down, not too big of a deal but if I lived there I would definitely look into re-gearing for the 35s. Once on the passes it was fine, no issues crawling. I want to go to 37s soon but will probably stay with the 4.10s until I can re-gear. My commute now isn't bad so I bet I wont even notice a difference.

I say get what tire size you want and then drive it to see if you feel like you need to re-gear. Being that you have a Sport I will say that you will most likely want to regear for 35s. So you may stick to 33s. I would look into a 33x12.50 though as the wider tire will help you out on the sand more. Bigger foot print. :thumb:

^ This is a good point. Where I live, I am very biased and would lean toward a re-gear for sure.......with that being said, I'm in the mountains a ton, and notice it too often. If you're not dealing with steep climbs on a daily basis, re-gearing may not even be worth considering if you don't want to deal with the $.

reelsilly

I have a 2012 2dr with the 3:21's. The land around these parts are, well, FLAT. The only hills I have are like 4 hours away really.

Top Bottom