TRAIL FIX TIP: What to do with a Busted Brakeline

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You can do what you can to help keep your brakelines out of harms way but, rocks, logs and other obstacles will still have a way of reaching up and snagging them when you least expect. Unfortuantely, it doesn't take much to sever a line or to even tear one out and when that happens, you had better hope you're in a position where braking isn't required. The good news is, even if you don't have a spare brakeline in your recovery kit, you can still get your Jeep back up and running or, should I say, "braking" again and in just minutes. This Trail Fix Tip of the Day will show you how.

What you will need
• Vice Grips
• Zip Ties or Bungie Cord
• Brake Fluid

What you will need to do
1. Set your vice grips to a tight setting and pinch off the damaged or broken break line. It is important to get this as tight as possible to prevent any further leaking.
main.php

2. Route and secure your brakeline and vice grips up and out of the way of moving suspension componets using zip ties, a bungie cord. If it works, you can even secure them to an actual suspension component like a sway bar arm as you can be seen in this photo below.
main.php

3. Open up your hood, remove the cap on your master cylinder and top it off with brake fluid.
main.php

This will help you to get off the trail but remember to drive a lot slower especially if the compromised brakeline was on the front axle. With one brake missing, your Jeep will experience a dangerous and severe pull to one side when trying to slow down or stop. If you have a JK, your traction control system will also go crazy on you until it finally shuts down. Once you are able to get your hands on new replacement brakeline, you can use this write-up to help you to install it:

Jeep JK Wrangler Brake Line Installation Write-Up

I hope this little trail fix tip has been helpful to you :cool:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Good idea! What do you have as far as a cleanup kit for trail spills? Do you carry the blue shop rags, paper towels or the absorbent pads?

JAGS

Hooked
Some great tips you've been putting out of late. I think I need to invest in some more toner as I'm going to print these out and keep in my trail bag. Will say though.... your recovery "bag" must be one of those magical Felix bags of trix. :cheesy: In all seriousness, how do you keep all these things in your rig? You have a big tub, tool box(es), multiple tubs....:crazyeyes:

Maybe in another post you can snap a pic of how you have all these items stowed away "safely" in the back? :yup:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Some great tips you've been putting out of late. I think I need to invest in some more toner as I'm going to print these out and keep in my trail bag. Will say though.... your recovery "bag" must be one of those magical Felix bags of trix. :cheesy: In all seriousness, how do you keep all these things in your rig? You have a big tub, tool box(es), multiple tubs....:crazyeyes:

Maybe in another post you can snap a pic of how you have all these items stowed away "safely" in the back? :yup:

A few weeks ago he posted that he was working on a write up for "what to bring on the trail" to include tools and all that. I'm sure this will be included in that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, here's a couple of shots of most of the stuff I carry with me. Mind you, these are just my tools and recovery gear and the first shot is with everything inside the back. The red bag up front is common tools and the black one is recovery gear. If I'm running a trail where I think they will actually get used or, if I'm on a camping trip, these would be right behind my seat instead.
IMG_3186.jpg

After pulling out the two bags up front, these are what's left. Welder on the left, 2 fluid boxes in the middle, welding helmet/gloves, electrical and small parts bag and then on the far right, an another tool bag containing things I don't use as much such as a vice, power tools, etc. Up front, you will see the a big pry bar and in the brown roll, I carry a smaller pry bar, big ass crescent wrench, torque wrench and ball peen hammer which normally get stowed behind the rear bench and in between the tuffy deck wall.
IMG_3188.jpg

Some of the smaller bags and welding helmet typically go under the rear seat to help free up room for things like camping gear.

JAGS

Hooked
A few weeks ago he posted that he was working on a write up for "what to bring on the trail" to include tools and all that. I'm sure this will be included in that.

I recall seeing that too, but it was top of mind so thought I would ask.

Okay, here's a couple of shots of most of the stuff I carry with me. Mind you, these are just my tools and recovery gear.

Right, so this doesn't include the spare parts you also like to take that you've mentioned in conversation and also in some posts here. Looks like I need to beef up my trail kit a bit as I am missing a few essentials based on what I see. Nothing major (welder), just things like a crowbar, vice grips and zip ties. I think I have all these it's just a matter of storing them in the trail bag instead of the tool box in the garage.

As overlander said, I'll keep an eye open for the "trail" write up, but feel better with your post here :thumb: as at least I'll have most of the basics for the level of trails I'm currently running.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I have a 2 door, not that much room in the back. :hmm: I think I should get a rack :idontknow: I should have got the JKU (4 door):cussing::gaah:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 2 door, not that much room in the back. :hmm: I think I should get a rack :idontknow: I should have got the JKU (4 door):cussing::gaah:

:cheesy: In all fairness, we do a lot of exploring by ourselves and so, we try to go as prepaired as possible. If you make sure to go as a group, you can share the burden amongst your friends. You just need to make sure your bases are covered before heading out.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

If you go with one other person you could take the rear seat out and pack up your stuff. As for just recovery gear you could defiantly fit it all in the back or even on the wheel wells of the tub by the rear seat. Just have to know how to pac everything up well and play tetris.

Top Bottom