Dynatrac ProRock 44 or G2 Core 44?

Coop

Caught the Bug
I read the recent thread on the ProRock 44 with interest. Lots of knowledgeable input. I will be switching to 37s soon and want to prepare, so I'm looking to upgrade to a D44 front axle assembly for my 2015 JKU Sport. Is there more positive experience with the ProRock 44 than the G2 Core 44? One of the shops I have used swears by the G2 products. Both assemblies look pretty well set up in the catalogs, but of course trail experience is invaluable. Looking for your expert advice and experience as this is a sizeable investment I only want to do once! Thanks!

Irish Pirate

Great question Coop. I'm in the same boat you are in. I'm going to upgrade to 35's or 37's myself. I have heard lots of good 'sales pitches' about the G2-D44. As it stands that is what I plan on putting in. I too would like to hear everyone's else's trail rated opinion

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Your shop prob swears by G2 products cause they make the most money on them.

In my opinion there is a reason why you see all of these new 44 axles coming out from companies like g2, Currie, and terrorbreak to compete with the Dynatrac pr44. It's because the pr44 was the first aftermarket 44 (to my knowledge) to hit the market and it took off running. It's an axle that has stood the test of time being abused in ultra4 races by Mel at ore and by enthusiasts, like ourselfs, for many years now. Go with the proven prorock and you will NOT be disappointed

Couldn't agree with Cozdude more... I just got mine in yesterday and holy cow man this thing is stout. Can only imagine the abuse this thing can take. Mel essentially slammed the entire weight of the Evo TJ, going about 20 or so through the rocks, onto a big boulder and came away unscathed.

T&ERun

LOSER
PR44 hands down if you can afford it. They are a little more money. The key things to compare are the axle tube diameter and thickness, and the size/bulk of the outer Cs. Pure beef. The housing and Cs will outlast the internals. Many say the PR44 housing/diff housing/and outer Cs rival the strength of a dana 60 axle. Also with the PR44 Unlimited you get extra caster built in. You could probably get the same with the other brands if you special ordered.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Two things for me stand out on the Dynatrac axle over the G2 -

While the standard PR44 has the same axle tube thickness and diameter as the G2, for around $100 I can upgrade the PR44 to 1/2" tube thickness for extra strength and get extra caster built in.

While G2 offers a 10 year warranty on their axle, it only covers parts against manufacturing defects. Dynatrac offers a 1 year warranty, but it's unlimited mileage and no-fault. Did you just take your brand new axle offroading and break something? I bet G2 will tell you that's your fault, not a manufacturing defect. And honestly, in that first year most of us will really test that axle's limits out. I'd rather know that the company I bought it from will fix or replace something without trying to blame me. Of course the best warranty is the one you don't have to use and you've probably got 20+ people on this forum who can attest to their PR44.

If you go with G2 simply due to cost, keep that savings handy in case you break something. You may need it.

Ddays

Hooked
I looked at the Currie, Teraflex, and G2 for a long time and after comparing them bought the PR44 without hesitation.
This is a badass axle man.

4WP/4WD, G2, Smittybilt, Pro-Comp, Rubicon Express, and Poison Spyder are all owned by a holding company - Trans-American Auto Parts.
So if this is the shop you got a price from, guess what they are going to quote you? If its not, ^^ this is still worth knowing so you can see when
a shop is steering you towards these brands there is some cross-promotions going on.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I have zero experience with either one but after looking around on the internet, on this site, and watching the wayalife videos as well as others; I will without a doubt spend the money for Dynatrac.

Dave22

LOSER
Two things for me stand out on the Dynatrac axle over the G2 -

While the standard PR44 has the same axle tube thickness and diameter as the G2, for around $100 I can upgrade the PR44 to 1/2" tube thickness for extra strength and get extra caster built in.

While G2 offers a 10 year warranty on their axle, it only covers parts against manufacturing defects. Dynatrac offers a 1 year warranty, but it's unlimited mileage and no-fault. Did you just take your brand new axle offroading and break something? I bet G2 will tell you that's your fault, not a manufacturing defect. And honestly, in that first year most of us will really test that axle's limits out. I'd rather know that the company I bought it from will fix or replace something without trying to blame me. Of course the best warranty is the one you don't have to use and you've probably got 20+ people on this forum who can attest to their PR44.

If you go with G2 simply due to cost, keep that savings handy in case you break something. You may need it.

same axle dia and thickness, and better warranty...and cheaper... but buy a PR?

dont ever write argumentative essays LOL.

if you are going to commit that much coin (sizable investment you only want to do once in your words) just save a bit more and get 60s. staying with a small ring and pinion and carrier is not worth the cost for the aftermarket 44s of any brand and will allow you to get 40s in the future should you wish. bigger ball joints, huge Cs, bigger axles bigger lockouts or drive slugs...innumerable benefits

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked

if you are going to commit that much coin (sizable investment you only want to do once in your words) just save a bit more and get 60s. staying with a small ring and pinion and carrier is not worth the cost for the aftermarket 44s of any brand and will allow you to get 40s in the future should you wish. bigger ball joints, huge Cs, bigger axles bigger lockouts or drive slugs...innumerable benefits

Absoultely and without hesitation yes buy the Dynatrac.
Not same axle thickness - the Unlimited version is thicker.
Go with the Dynatrac HD ball joints and they're the same in the 44 & 60.

Take a second and watch the videos of the Dynatracs being manufactured in house in California. Then compare them to the manufacturing process
of the other three....Oh, wait, there aren't any cuz they're made in China

BTW, what is your suggestion?

Last edited:

No not same warranty. The Dynatrac is no-fault. Basically they are confident that you cant break it.

And thats like saying "why waste money on 60s, just go ahead and buy 80s..."

rinkishjk

I would definitely go with the prorock. G2 uses an exclusive aluminum cover, among other things. And after seeing my friends pr in person, it's a no Brainer for me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I read the recent thread on the ProRock 44 with interest. Lots of knowledgeable input. I will be switching to 37s soon and want to prepare, so I'm looking to upgrade to a D44 front axle assembly for my 2015 JKU Sport. Is there more positive experience with the ProRock 44 than the G2 Core 44? One of the shops I have used swears by the G2 products. Both assemblies look pretty well set up in the catalogs, but of course trail experience is invaluable. Looking for your expert advice and experience as this is a sizeable investment I only want to do once! Thanks!

Well, as others have stated, you can go off the real world experience of others or, you can go off what a shop is trying to sell you.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug

This is good advice if you plan to go 40s some day. If you plan to stay at 37s buying a 60 is pointless unless you like to give up ground clearance.

Another vote for the pr. I've beat the shit out of mine pr44 front / pr60 rear and never worried about it. I've had several of my friends break their brand x axles on the same trails with me. The "you spent too much comments" seem to always disappear at those times. Lol

Coop

Caught the Bug
Well, as others have stated, you can go off the real world experience of others or, you can go off what a shop is trying to sell you.

That's why I'm here! You all have offered great arguments in favor of the ProRock! I think the D60 would be great, but I really want this sooner than later; guess my parents were right. Thank you all for keeping me on track!

Jeepnoub

Someone posted a video the other day. That showed mel wade smack a rock, hard and kept going. I think it was in the evotj.

I don't see videos of a g2 doing the same thing. I tend to buy what's proven

turbineguy

I have a PR44 HD, have ran 37s on it, and am now running 38s. I'm not nice to it at all.

Then again, I don't know how much cheaper a Core 44 is, or what sort of wheeling you do.

If you think you are at all going to go hard, then I doubt the price savings is worth the piece of mind.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1452881394.162185.jpg

Top Bottom