Looking at some bumpers...

RageKage

I've been looking at the VKS front stubby stinger bumper and the Poison Spyder comp/trail bfh stinger front bumper. Not sure which one to go with. What are your guys opinions?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
x3 on skipping vks. I would skip on the poison spider one as well IMO. The cutting on the frame down means you can't turn your jeep back to stock for any sort of reason and move the bumper to the new jeep. Just something to think about

sldrstoy

As I'm sorta in the same boat, but I have one of the aforementioned bumpers, what would you recommend? I'm Leary about cutting the frame as there is always the chance of moving somewhere that requires a full width bumper (I.e. a short stay in Germany)... Not trying to hijack just curious

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
x3 on skipping vks. I would skip on the poison spider one as well IMO. The cutting on the frame down means you can't turn your jeep back to stock for any sort of reason and move the bumper to the new jeep. Just something to think about

As I'm sorta in the same boat, but I have one of the aforementioned bumpers, what would you recommend? I'm Leary about cutting the frame as there is always the chance of moving somewhere that requires a full width bumper (I.e. a short stay in Germany)... Not trying to hijack just curious

I heard of dealers looking to buy the cut ends from shops to fix this issue on jeeps that are traded in. I mean if you do a very clean cut, and save them you could weld them back on if needed, but there goes the strength from factory. I would look into LOD, or EVO or Rockhard4x4 for good solid options.

I've been looking at the VKS front stubby stinger bumper and the Poison Spyder comp/trail bfh stinger front bumper. Not sure which one to go with. What are your guys opinions?

One more option for you that gives you more capability than the 2 you were looking at: our Stinger stubby.

1" wide recovery tabs, coating included, legal to flat tow from, includes skid for e-disco/crash bar, ZERO frame modification required, fits all popular winches including PowerPlant and Zeon, 1/4" thick steel, and 100% Made in USA!

Fog lights / raised winch plate:
http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-5007.htm

RH-5007-2T.jpg

No fogs / lowered winch plate:
http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-5008.htm

RH-5008-2T.jpg

RageKage

I've heard someone on here say that VKS was a very well built and sturdy piece of equipment, besides a design copy infringement is there anything structurally wrong with what VKS makes? Looking at stubby stingers they pretty much all look the same in some ways. Just not sure if the dislike is because of design similarities or actual product strength.

swampdog

I've heard someone on here say that VKS was a very well built and sturdy piece of equipment, besides a design copy infringement is there anything structurally wrong with what VKS makes? Looking at stubby stingers they pretty much all look the same in some ways. Just not sure if the dislike is because of design similarities or actual product strength.

To me, steeling another's design / IP is enough to write both the product and manufacturer off who ripped it. Why knowingly support that? Poor form.

To the OP, the poison spyder brawler lite bumper itself requires no cutting whatsoever and bolts up quite easily. The optional skid plate does require you to make a few notches in the crash bar i believe. I myself opted for the bumper by itself and am removing the crash bar for clearance purposes.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
To me, steeling another's design / IP is enough to write both the product and manufacturer off who ripped it. Why knowingly support that? Poor form.

Agreed.

On second thought, maybe Northridge could do a video on these sliders, and sell them through Extreme Terrain. That would pretty much be the trifecta of douchery ripoff.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
If being made in the USA matters to you, Rock Hard 4x4, EVO, and LOD are made here.

Last edited:

Colorado Dude

I've got LOD front stubby with stinger and LOD rear shorty gen 4, and I'm very pleased with the ease of install, quality and performance. They are very stout and have taken some hard hits (the rear at least). Customer service was very good over the phone when I just had question I wanted answered before I made a purchase. A little pricey but worth it, made in the USA! IMG_1125.jpg

5280Sapper

I bought a VKS stubby new of craigslist for $250.00 and I'll modify it a bit to my liking.. I don't care about cutting the ends off the frame don't really care if I end up selling the jeep that will be least modified piece. as for all the others.. bumpers and companies are trendy.. everybody rips everybody's designs off.. no matter what realm your in.. whatever is aesthetically pleasing to you is all the matters.. 99% are made of the same steel the other guys is and they all work the same.. They are dent scratch and bump into shit no matter what name is on them.:rock:

LAJK

Fuck those VKS guys. They copied Evo's sliders almost exactly.

crawler concepts copyed a lot of poison spyders design. I have the VKS prerunner sliders and they are nothin like EVO sliders. There is only so many one off designs for some parts. The VKS rockers are a lot like LOD with a mix of poison spyder rockers, but at a lower cost. Can't beat that.

RageKage

crawler concepts copyed a lot of poison spyders design. I have the VKS prerunner sliders and they are nothin like EVO sliders. There is only so many one off designs for some parts. The VKS rockers are a lot like LOD with a mix of poison spyder rockers, but at a lower cost. Can't beat that.

Just to clarify the crawler concept/ poison spyder... The same guy worked at both companies. Not sure if he was lead design but that's why they are so similar. But I agree, you can only change the wheel so many times before you get back to the original design.

Top Bottom