Not a newbie but I am to my new Rubi Unlimited

segt99

I recently traded my 2008 2 door Sahara in for a 2015 Rubicon Unlimited. My old jeep was running a 3" BDS lift with Fox 2.0s. It had 35" Cooper STT on 17" rims with Bushwacker Flats. It also had the spare tire delete and a Barricade Front bumper (so you know what kind of weight it had). the 08 was running the 3.8L under-powered engine with an auto. I had it re-geared to 4.88s. I know the short wheel base had something to do with it, but it rode like crap. My new Rubi feels like I am driving a cloud in comparison and I don't want it to change. However, just like any other Jeeper I want to begin modding. My bumper is already transfer over and I am planning to add a rear bumper (minus the spare tire) in the future. I also have already added Smittybilt Classic Sides with Step. So now you know the weight I plan to have added to the JKU. I also plan to run the bushwacker flats on my new jeep. I have a few questions and concerns going forward with the lift.

1st. If I add 35s will the 3.6L (automatic) be ok with the stock 3.73s? Will I have to re-gear this one as well? Re-gearing isn't cheap but I will do it if needed.

2nd. I only do mild off-roading so I don't need anything extreme. Most of its life it will be spent on the roads because this is a daily driver. I also plan to go with a less aggressive AT tire. I have read the Rubicon comes with an upgraded shock and if possible to keep it for mild lifts. I don't know if this is correct. I am assuming I will need somewhere bewtween 2-3" of lift to fit the 35s and Bushwacker flats. I want to keep the on road ride quality and keep drive-line issues to a minimum. At first I figure a BB is my ticket but I am afraid that type of lift isn't worth the $ compared to a kit that includes springs and shocks. I know shocks and springs are the most important part of the ride quality. Any suggestions on size, type of brand of lift?

- My requirements are stock or better on-road ride quality.
- Fit 35s with no issue (under flat fenders).

I think I covered everything but ask away if i left something out.

Attachments

• Jan2016.jpg
    Jan2016.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 202

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Welcome, nice Jeep. Since you like the way your current suspension feels I recommend a 2.5" budget boost. Plenty of room for 35s with or without flat fenders. I feel it was worth the money and being that it is exactly 2.5" I don't have to worry to much about my front drive shaft.

segt99

Welcome, nice Jeep. Since you like the way your current suspension feels I recommend a 2.5" budget boost. Plenty of room for 35s with or without flat fenders. I feel it was worth the money and being that it is exactly 2.5" I don't have to worry to much about my front drive shaft.

I am assuming you are running 35s. Is your jeep an Automatic? Did have to re-gear?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
You can run a 2.5 inch budget boost and clear 35s with untrimmed fenders. It will ride just like stock. Get one that is a fairly complete kit, something like the one Teraflex has. Run the shock extensions with the factory rubi shocks. Get 35s and drive it. Then determine if you feel like it needs to be regeared.

If you ever decide to go bigger, you can sell the budget boost to somebody just starting out and get most of your money back.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I am assuming you are running 35s. Is your jeep an Automatic? Did have to re-gear?

I am running 35s on a manual trans, but I did regear to 4.88s. It wasn't necessary per say but it brought the on road performance back to a stock feel. Aside from going to 35s, it's my favorite mod I've done to my JKUR. :yup:

segt99

I am going to start buying things as $ allows and probably have them installed all at once. I have to watch my spending and the wrath of the wife.:doh: I just have to find a local shop. The shop i went to before closed up after a family death.

segt99

You should be fine with 35 and 3:73s. You might wanna get a procal from AEV with the Auto though.

Is that Procal good? I was running the Hypertech one on my 2008 and to be honest other than the speedo changes i didn't notice a thing.

BLK HULK

You have a Rubicon, shouldn't you have the 4.10 gears stock? If you do then you should be fine on 35s.

Not sure if its just the new Rubicons or not. But if it has a tow package then 3:73's come with. I was with my buddy when he ordered a new Rubi last week and we had to make sure he ordered the 4:10s with it.

segt99

Not sure if its just the new Rubicons or not. But if it has a tow package then 3:73's come with. I was with my buddy when he ordered a new Rubi last week and we had to make sure he ordered the 4:10s with it.

I was looking on the window sticker and it says 3.73s unless I missed the upgrade listed. I don't have a tow package on it. So maybe i misread it? I will have to see if I can find out what gears are really in it. Any suggestions on how to?

Gear ratio should be on the sticker inside your door jam. I didn't know 3.73 was a stock option I thought you had to special order it that way. just one more reason to not get the overpriced factory tow option. I want lower gears for towing.

BLK HULK

Gear ratio should be on the sticker inside your door jam. I didn't know 3.73 was a stock option I thought you had to special order it that way. just one more reason to not get the overpriced factory tow option. I want lower gears for towing.

I think my buddy had to upgrade to a 4:10, not sure what the price was. But I also remember the sales guy saying something about revving to high while towing with 4:10, that's why its an option now.

I played around with the build and price it on the Jeep website and it looks like automatics come stock 3.73 and you have to pay for the upgrade. Manuals come stock with the 4.10

segt99

I'll have to look inside the door jam and see what it says. Can't always trust those window stickers or make sense of them.

Top Bottom