Thoughts on 35s that ARE NOT Mud Terrains...

segt99

I recently got a new 2015 JKU Rubicon :yup: and plan to put 35s on her. In the past I have had Cooper STT's and had them last 50,000 miles plus, However just like all Mud Terrain tires, they were a bit noisy with harsh ride on road. Lets be honest, unless you are a millionaire, most of us are driving our rigs to and from work. What are everyone's thoughts on running 35s that are more multi purpose like an all terrain? Lets here about your experiences.

1. Brand of Tire

2. Model of Tire

3. Size of Tire (and wheel)

4. What type of driving you do with them?

5. How are they wearing? (Mileage)

6. Your thoughts on them

7. How do they look??!!

WJCO

Meme King
I recently got a new 2015 JKU Rubicon :yup: and plan to put 35s on her. In the past I have had Cooper STT's and had them last 50,000 miles plus, However just like all Mud Terrain tires, they were a bit noisy with harsh ride on road. Lets be honest, unless you are a millionaire, most of us are driving our rigs to and from work. What are everyone's thoughts on running 35s that are more multi purpose like an all terrain? Lets here about your experiences.

1. Brand of Tire

2. Model of Tire

3. Size of Tire (and wheel)

4. What type of driving you do with them?

5. How are they wearing? (Mileage)

6. Your thoughts on them

7. How do they look??!!

I had BFG ATs on my F150. It was either 315/70R17 or 315/75R16, can't remember. I got about 40k out of them with good rotations. Mostly city/hwy driving, 10% off road use. Loved them. Bought 2 sets for that truck. Another set for my f350 and another set for a Tacoma I had.

Davidb

I run Goodyear duratracs in 315/70/17. I'm very happy with the on road performance in all conditions especially the snow and ice. So far they are wearing great, but I only have about 8,000 miles on them. They balance good and are very quiet compared to the Mikey Thompson mtz's that I had. I don't do any rock crawling or extreme off roading, but for the trails I do run they work well

james2003w

Was running OpenCounty A/T 33" on my Custom Shortbed F150 from 2007-2010, probably about 80k+ miles. They were wonderful both on/off road. No issues while driving on compact snow/ice, or venturing down closed/flooded roads.

They sucked in the sand, but I think that was more of the weight of my vehicle vs the tire itself.

segt99

So far I am hearing some good opinions. But I am curious about these tires on jeeps. For the longest time I wasn't sure if i liked how an A/T tire even looked sticking out the fenders of a JK. And with them being 35s and not your typical size does everyone think they look ok (on Jeeps)?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're concerned about looks, maybe you should consider something in between an MT and an AT like the new Toyo RT. Kind of a best of both worlds tread design.

XL-hero-tire-OC-RT.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Also look at the Nitto terra grappler g2's. I saw a set on an f350 yesterday and was pretty impressed with all the sipping and the lug pattern. They look like they would work well in all conditions.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453232775.227014.jpg .

Napalm

I ran a 35' BFG KO2. They actually came out to about 33" but still a great looking/riding tire. No road noise, smooth, no road walking. Did well on road and on dust. Never got it into thick mud! I can't comment on they are wearing because that Jeep is crawling rocks somewhere in Oklahoma. As far as the looks, they look awesome on a 17 inch wheel. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453234135.830041.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453234174.830880.jpg

Last edited:

Roverrich

Ran KM2 stock Rubicon size and now run KO2 315/70R17 on my JKU 2014, no comparison. AT KO2's much quieter, much better on road, snow, wet and ice. I've been in mud with them and these hold their own but are not as good as the KM2's. I think you give up very little with these ATs unless you are offroad and in mud that majority of the time. FWIW, I had the original KO's on a pickup too and when I sold that truck had lots of tread left after 35k miles. As far as looks, they are quite aggressive looking for an AT tire.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I've had several sets of the BFG AT KOs and got good life out of them. Would definitely look at purchasing them again for a daily driver 4x4 that sees a lot of road.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Check these out.

Toyo Open Country AT II Xtreme

Xtreme size has bigger voids and available in the size you want 35. I am looking at these or KO2. Well, shit to be honest I really can't make up my mind.:doh:

toyo.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Check these out.

Xtreme size has bigger voids and available in the size you want 35. I am looking at these or KO2. Well, shit to be honest I really can't make up my mind.:doh:

View attachment 183323

I would definitely go with the Toyo Open Country AT II Xtreme if only because they come with a 65,000 mile warranty.

Jk909

Nitto terra grappler g2's work great in my opinion. They have a 50k warranty and can take a hell of a beating. I have them on my jeep and my truck. My truck has 40k on them and I think I may get another 20-30k out of em. My jeep is running 285-75/17 basically a skinny 35 and I have no complaints. Here's a pic for reference ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453252592.044771.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453252631.081980.jpg

Wethy

Check these out.

View attachment 183323

I would definitely go with the Toyo Open Country AT II Xtreme if only because they come with a 65,000 mile warranty.

They also look tits too!

^^^
This will be my next tire in a 35

Journeyman

😝 Awesome! I'm currently running the RT and pretty happy with it. It's a nice in between tire choice that doesn't make much noise cruising down the asphalt, but still does a decent job offroad. My next tire will be mud terrain though as my jku seems like it's about to become more of a toy and not a DD.

Wethy

[emoji13] Awesome! I'm currently running the RT and pretty happy with it. It's a nice in between tire choice that doesn't make much noise cruising down the asphalt, but still does a decent job offroad. My next tire will be mud terrain though as my jku seems like it's about to become more of a toy and not a DD.

Nice I spend 80% on road so for me the all terrain tire is where it's at so I'll be looking at the AT2 next

Top Bottom