Torque Wrench - Is it trashed now?

bonedaddy

Quick question, It I had to use my torque wrench to break the lugs loose on a tire does that means I messed up the insides? Will it still give accurate readings? I use it all the time so I want to make sure I can trust the wrench... I wasn;t really thinking about it when I used it, I just needed something longer than my 4-way and it was right within reach... after I was thinking about it. I know it is reversible, but not sure if you are suppose to use it to loosen... outside of adjusting and using I rerally do not know much about the inner workings - I just tighten until it clicks...

- Donnie

WJCO

Meme King
Quick question, It I had to use my torque wrench to break the lugs loose on a tire does that means I messed up the insides? Will it still give accurate readings? I use it all the time so I want to make sure I can trust the wrench... I wasn;t really thinking about it when I used it, I just needed something longer than my 4-way and it was right within reach... after I was thinking about it. I know it is reversible, but not sure if you are suppose to use it to loosen... outside of adjusting and using I rerally do not know much about the inner workings - I just tighten until it clicks...

- Donnie

Your not suppose to, but I've done it too. Maybe buy a 2nd cheap one or borrow a friends and compare the two on already-tightened bolts to see if they're the same.

dwvninety

If it's a really expensive brand you can always send it back to the manufacturer to have it calibrated.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Yeah, you shouldnt do that. a breaker bar/impact is MUCH better...

calibrate it yourself. its not hard quick google search and DONE :thumb::yup:

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah, you shouldnt do that. a breaker bar/impact is MUCH better...

calibrate it yourself. its not hard quick google search and DONE :thumb::yup:

That's cool. I never knew you could re-calibrate one of those things. Good to know.

Kavanji

if you have a Snap-On tool store near you you can go there and check the calibration yourself.

at least the snap-on agent here in Namibia has that service.

Havoc40

if you have a Snap-On tool store near you you can go there and check the calibration yourself.

at least the snap-on agent here in Namibia has that service.

God that would be awesome/dangerous if they had stores!! Unfortunately, the franchisee's only run trucks. To my knowledge they'll only "calibrate" their Snap-on and Blue Point torque wrenches. Possibly CDI stuff, but I don't remember. One of my best friends sells Snap-on tools. Had him check accuracy on my cheap Craftsman torque wrench with his load cell deal...but he couldn't do anything further.

bonedaddy

yeah mines a craftsman, not sure if sears recalibrates or how much they would charge... I may just go buy one and check the torque on my wheels and make sure they stay strong at 90lbs... it it doesn't budge that should be a solid enough way to test mine don't you think?

Havoc40

I've used my cheap torque wrenches in a pinch the way you have and they survived. Although, I never exceeded the limits of the wrench. Assuming this is a clicker type, they operate with a spring. If you went too much over the limit it could have caused some damage.

Checking the torque on an already tightened bolt with another torque wrench is okay if you're only trying to be accurate within 5% or so. If you're doing a bunch of TTY stuff I'd be really cautious until you can at least verify it on a tool truck. Keep it with you and catch one at a stop, they're always looking for more customers anyway. Just a forewarning, you might walk off with one of these :). Those trucks are dangerous!

Drawer 1 (1).jpg

bonedaddy

ok this might be a stupid question, but a buddy of mine at work just asked me and I honestly do not know the answer...

It you are not suppose to use the Torque Wrench to break things, why is it reversible in the first place?

ok this might be a stupid question, but a buddy of mine at work just asked me and I honestly do not know the answer...

It you are not suppose to use the Torque Wrench to break things, why is it reversible in the first place?

I would guess to torq bolts that have the opposite thread. Which is why I would assume it doesn't matter if you use it to loosen up a bolt.

Havoc40

Loosening doesn't hurt a thing. It's exceeding the limits that can cause damage. The problem with breaking loose fasteners like lug nuts, is many times the breaking torque is over 150 ft/lbs. Especially if they were blasted on with an impact carelessly. Many 1/2 torque wrenches only go up to 150 or 185.

Top Bottom