Gearing up my new tool bags for the Jeep - What do you guys think about this?

bonedaddy

http://www.amazon.com/Crescent-CX6PT20-Pass-Through-Ratchet-20-Piece/dp/B009L8GEPM/ref=pd_bxgy_469_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1Q8T52YWPE2QQM9QKY5H

I was looking at this and then carrying 1/2" for the larger sockets that are not covered by this kit... Versus buying an 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4" drives...

I had a box of sockets from years and years of different sets and was able to compile a decent about of sockets, in all 3 sizes, but was figuring something like this would def save some space...

So what do you guys think, this versus the good old socket wrenches...

dwvninety

I have a set almost like those except it's the Husky brand (Home Depot) and I do not like them at all. I prefer the traditional socket set. The trouble I have with those is anytime I have to put considerable force on the ratchet handle the socket would pop off. You really have to have it on a true 90 degree angle in order to get any grip. Just my :twocents:

Brent McCartney

I have the lowes brand, I carry in my work truck. I have put 3' pipe on the ratchet to break some rusted bolts with out busting the ratchet. Not to bad it's not snap on.

bonedaddy

How do you guys separate your sockets?

I was looking at some pouches on amazon, but just wondering what creative ways you guys have come up with if any...

WJCO

Meme King
I got overnight travel bags from Walmart with multiple pockets and put them in there. I have two bags so I have more pockets but also to keep all the weight out of one bag. I had a Matco tool bag which I loved, but it was too big in my storage area along with my other stuff and was also VERY heavy to take out when looking for just one socket. The Matco bag lasted almost 10 years. The Walmart bags were just purchased about 6 months ago, I'm sure they won't last as long, lol. I've thought about getting plastic fishing tackle boxes too.

CJW

I've found that those will work in a pinch but not great in the long run. They tend so round off bolts more than anything. And they won't hold up if you need to put some force behind them. I do keep a set of them though....... In my wife's....... Honda... LOL just kidding

bonedaddy

got this off amazon for like $28... love it! Pouch isn;t the highest quality but it will keep they all together...

814-I5kGhXL._SL1500_.jpg

bonedaddy

and your over night bag idea made me think of the shave bag I have for traveling, saw some cheap ones at ROSS i might check and see about... I just need a way to separate and hold the MM & SAE sockets separate, but together by drive size...

and yes, I am totally over thinking this - which if you know me I can't help myself... ;)

WJCO

Meme King
Here's some quick pics of my setup. You'll see why I need the small flexible bags as opposed to a rigid bags/boxes based on my storage space. The welder in the pic isn't something I normally carry in the Jeep either. One of the overnight bags is for wrenches, and I keep the small and most-used ones in a separate pocket so they're easy to find. The other bag has most of my sockets and they are separated in a way that I find functional for me.

DSC02654.jpg DSC02655.jpg DSC02656.jpg DSC02662.jpg DSC02663.jpg DSC02659.jpg DSC02658.jpg DSC02660.jpg

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Here's some quick pics of my setup. You'll see why I need the small flexible bags as opposed to a rigid bags/boxes based on my storage space. The welder in the pic isn't something I normally carry in the Jeep either. One of the overnight bags is for wrenches, and I keep the small and most-used ones in a separate pocket so they're easy to find. The other bag has most of my sockets and they are separated in a way that I find functional for me.

View attachment 183532 View attachment 183531 View attachment 183530 View attachment 183526 View attachment 183525 View attachment 183528 View attachment 183529 View attachment 183527

Christ! You have a ton of stuff!

I usually get empty hard case tool boxes and use to carry tools. I also find the soft cases work well too. I had purchased a couple of Dewalt combo drill bit kits that come with bags I use as well.

WJCO

Meme King
Christ! You have a ton of stuff!

I usually get empty hard case tool boxes and use to carry tools. I also find the soft cases work well too. I had purchased a couple of Dewalt combo drill bit kits that come with bags I use as well.

This collection is years in the making, lol. Even before I had a Jeep, I've always tried to keep basic tools in my vehicle for road trips, camping ,etc. There's stuff in there I think I'll need and will probably never use. And there's also stuff that I needed just one time and didn't have, so now it's in there. You never know.

Those Dewalt bags are perfect for spare tools.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
This all fits on one small side underneath my deck. The tekton box wrenches are great and organized well for the trail; the other roll up seems stout and it was only $14 on Amazon. I am going to get a second one for some additional stuff. As for sockets, I've got deep impact from 11-24mm in the box, plus a separate 36mm for the axle. I will likely get an additional small non-impact set...or just put a 1/2 socket wrench in one of tool rolls and use the impact sockets by hand when appropriate.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1452391005.975869.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
This all fits on one small side underneath my deck. The tekton box wrenches are great and organized well for the trail; the other roll up seems stout and it was only $14 on Amazon. I am going to get a second one for some additional stuff. As for sockets, I've got deep impact from 11-24mm in the box, plus a separate 36mm for the axle. I will likely get an additional small non-impact set...or just put a 1/2 socket wrench in one of tool rolls and use the impact sockets by hand when appropriate.

Looks great. I have the sockets, but need a nice organization box like that yellow one of yours. That would make things way easier to find.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453336215.182860.jpg

I have the Tuffy deck that does not lift up. In the ARB bag to the left is all of my recovery gear. The blue and gray case is a socket set from Bluepoint, it also has wrenches. It has been a really good set. In the bag on top of it is screwdrivers and pliers and other small stuff. I bought a Carhartt brand tool roll off of their website and have the wrenches out of the Bluepoint set in that. I like it but all of the pockets are the same size so it doesn't hold the bigger wrenches in as well. Once you roll it up and snap the straps though it does seem secure. In front of those are two of the smaller action packers that I carry other stuff in.

I really need to pull everything out and see what I have and don't have in there and remove what isn't needed.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
This collection is years in the making, lol. Even before I had a Jeep, I've always tried to keep basic tools in my vehicle for road trips, camping ,etc. There's stuff in there I think I'll need and will probably never use. And there's also stuff that I needed just one time and didn't have, so now it's in there. You never know.

Those Dewalt bags are perfect for spare tools.

LOL! Always good to have then not have. I always pack stuff on trips just in case.

That Crescent set looks like shitty snake oil to me. I buy tools to do the job I need them to do. Wrenches to wrench. Sockets for nuts and bolts. Hex tip and star tip for hex and star tip fasteners. This "one tool does all" shit never does all. It may do some but it usually is half assed at best.

I have about 200 pounds of shit in a heavy nylon duffle bag. All my recovery gear, a Snap-On tool bag packed with everything I can think of or have ever used once while wrenching on my jeep, some oil, brake clean, rags, funnel, jumper cables, gear oil and some other shit. And it all fits (barely) behind my rear seat in a 2 door.

The right tool for the job takes up space and weight but it will probably work when called upon versus some shitty catch all tool.

WJCO

Meme King
View attachment 183543

I have the Tuffy deck that does not lift up. In the ARB bag to the left is all of my recovery gear. The blue and gray case is a socket set from Bluepoint, it also has wrenches. It has been a really good set. In the bag on top of it is screwdrivers and pliers and other small stuff. I bought a Carhartt brand tool roll off of their website and have the wrenches out of the Bluepoint set in that. I like it but all of the pockets are the same size so it doesn't hold the bigger wrenches in as well. Once you roll it up and snap the straps though it does seem secure. In front of those are two of the smaller action packers that I carry other stuff in.

I really need to pull everything out and see what I have and don't have in there and remove what isn't needed.

Sweet. :thumb:

bonedaddy

That Crescent set looks like shitty snake oil to me. I buy tools to do the job I need them to do. Wrenches to wrench. Sockets for nuts and bolts. Hex tip and star tip for hex and star tip fasteners. This "one tool does all" shit never does all. It may do some but it usually is half assed at best.

I have about 200 pounds of shit in a heavy nylon duffle bag. All my recovery gear, a Snap-On tool bag packed with everything I can think of or have ever used once while wrenching on my jeep, some oil, brake clean, rags, funnel, jumper cables, gear oil and some other shit. And it all fits (barely) behind my rear seat in a 2 door.

The right tool for the job takes up space and weight but it will probably work when called upon versus some shitty catch all tool.

Yeah I've seen that bitch first hand, it's a big bitch ...

Mamba-Con

View attachment 183532 View attachment 183531 View attachment 183530 View attachment 183526 View attachment 183525 View attachment 183528 View attachment 183529 View attachment 183527

A welder[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]... Awesome

Pyro1415

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453366043.359998.jpg
$100 at lowes
10 in 1 screw driver and then some cheap HF screw drivers for prying.
Full electrical kit(cutter/strippers different crimp connections and crimps)
Tapes/zip ties/ hose clamps
Vice grips and 2 crescent wrenches
Makita 18v 1/2 drive impact

I'm not sure what's broke but I'll fix it or were going to need a tow truck.

Top Bottom