Mojave Road - current status as of 1/18/16

Rivertoys

Just completed Mojave Road. Left Avi Saturday morning, and completed it Monday, about 3pm.

If any one is interested, Soda lake is currently open and passable. It's very wet and muddy, but passable. Both water crossings are not an issue, though there is some deep mud on the first one (furthest from the campground). Due to my transfer case cable disconnecting from the lever, I lost use of 4WD with about 20 miles left to explore in our 3 day run. I shot both water crossings in 2WD, with straps ready in my friends Chevy 2500HD diesel. No issues!

There is an area of possible concern on the road... Upon leaving the Powerline Road early in the trip, the road climbs a steep pass on its way to the high desert. There is a washout that is maybe a couple of good storms away from not being passable anymore. That is a decently used trail, and I assume it will be fixed at some point.

Last week I tried to get current conditions. NPS.gov said to "call Kelso Depot at 760-252-6108 for the latest conditions". They acted like they had no idea why I would call them. I explained their website said to call this number for the information... after consulting with someone else, he came back and said, "It's probably wet." great, thanks! :doh: So if anyone wants to know, it IS wet, but you can get through. We had a stock JKU on standard tires in our group, and he did just fine.

:thumb:

Rivertoys

Sounds like it normally is this time of the year. Am I missing something?

Actually It's much wetter currently than it has been for MLK weekend in recent years. I was just trying to help anyone who might be planning a trip soon. If this information is not useful to you feel free to ignore it.

groovebus

I did that run last April and that section of the Powerline road going from Fort Piute to Piute Corral was looking kind of questionable then. It was all bone dry last year. I'm looking at doing a short section from Kelbaker road to Kelso-Cima Rd. with the family maybe in April or May.

Just completed Mojave Road. Left Avi Saturday morning, and completed it Monday, about 3pm.

If any one is interested, Soda lake is currently open and passable. It's very wet and muddy, but passable. Both water crossings are not an issue, though there is some deep mud on the first one (furthest from the campground). Due to my transfer case cable disconnecting from the lever, I lost use of 4WD with about 20 miles left to explore in our 3 day run. I shot both water crossings in 2WD, with straps ready in my friends Chevy 2500HD diesel. No issues!

There is an area of possible concern on the road... Upon leaving the Powerline Road early in the trip, the road climbs a steep pass on its way to the high desert. There is a washout that is maybe a couple of good storms away from not being passable anymore. That is a decently used trail, and I assume it will be fixed at some point.

Last week I tried to get current conditions. NPS.gov said to "call Kelso Depot at 760-252-6108 for the latest conditions". They acted like they had no idea why I would call them. I explained their website said to call this number for the information... after consulting with someone else, he came back and said, "It's probably wet." great, thanks! :doh: So if anyone wants to know, it IS wet, but you can get through. We had a stock JKU on standard tires in our group, and he did just fine.

:thumb:

Evil

I did that run last April and that section of the Powerline road going from Fort Piute to Piute Corral was looking kind of questionable then. It was all bone dry last year. I'm looking at doing a short section from Kelbaker road to Kelso-Cima Rd. with the family maybe in April or May.

Were looking to head out from Laughlin on April 1st to the 3rd.

Top Bottom