My Daughter's "JK" Wagon

cdemeyer

So this started with a conversation My wife and I had back in July about a week after our first was born. While talking about all of the stuff we will need to purchase over the next few years, the subject of a radio flyer wagon came up. The Jeep guy in me immediately says "well she can't have a stock one". This led to discussions of all of the ways we could modify a wagon. The discussion continued until I decided well why don't I just build one from scratch? And, if I was to build one from scratch I think my daughter's wagon should look just like her mom's JK.

If the mods will allow it here I will share with you my Jeep wagon build.

First a picture of Mom's 2008 for reference. It's a mildly built 4 door Rubicon with all of the bumpers and fab work built by me from scratch
Capture2.JPG Front night.JPG rear right.JPG

The plan is a scaled down version of a 4 door JK sitting on pneumatic tires with a 4 link coil-over suspension. The "wagon tub" will be hand built with a hood that opens. I plan to use as much raw materials that I have left over laying around the house. I had to put myself in check when, at one point, I had the bright idea of machining all of the suspension components out of aluminum.

Then the design work began. I used AutoCad to layout the geometry. I found some scaled lines drawings of a top, front and side view of a 4 door. I started by tracing over those line drawings and scaling everything to fit the tires I found. I balance that with what I wanted for the size of the tub that my little girl will ride in. The sheet metal work was drawn in 3D using Inventor. This program will develop flat patterns of all of the parts. This was extremely helpful for the hood WAGON Capture.jpg WAGON BODY CAPTURE.jpg WGAN BODY SHEETS CAPTURE.PNG

Let the fab begin.
The over all goal was to use very thin wall tube when possible to cut down on weight. After all, I do have to pull this thing around. The main frame is 1" x 1" x 16ga tube. The link arms are made from 1/2" EMT Conduit with coupling nuts welded inside for 5/16" rod ends. 20150906_141126.jpg 20150906_173332.jpg 20150907_180100.jpg

The axles are round tube I had laying around. The pivot points for the front steering are sleeved with bronze bushings
20150906_173348.jpg 20150906_173353.jpg 20151010_112919.jpg

cdemeyer

I needed to get the sheet metal tub done so I could finalize the shock mount locations. I do not have any sheet metal tools in my garage but lucky for me my dad is a retired sheet metal worker with access to a full sheet metal shop.
20151024_144543.jpg 20151024_155303.jpg 20151024_155621.jpg

Once back at the house with a little more work done we had to test fit the little girl.
20151031_155118.jpg 20151101_135410.jpg 20151108_201940.jpg 20151108_201752.jpg

cdemeyer

For the roll bar I went for 3/4" EMT conduit again because of weight, and because it bends easily.
20151122_142922.jpg

I used the light layer of dust to draw out my plans for the 4 door look. I plan to use die cut vinyl for the door line and hinges. I also plan to use it for the slots in the grill. I realized very early on in this project that if I were to cut the proper scaled slots in a grill this small the end result would be too delicate. Also, since i will be having vinyl cut I figure I should have my daughter's name cut for the hood decal where the Rubicon logo would be. But all this vinyl will come much later after paint.
20151122_142938.jpg

At this point I really feel like it is starting to look like a jeep. But it needs fenders and bumpers.

WJCO

Meme King
That's really looking cool. Once I get my metal shop built up, I may do something like that. I was at Walmart last night, and noticed in the towing section, they have a little hoist electric winch that has about 1000 pound capacity. It would be cool to throw something like that on the front. Or even a hand winch, lol.

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=winch

cdemeyer

That's really looking cool. Once I get my metal shop built up, I may do something like that. I was at Walmart last night, and noticed in the towing section, they have a little hoist electric winch that has about 1000 pound capacity. It would be cool to throw something like that on the front. Or even a hand winch, lol.

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=winch

I have considered something like that. I also thought about making a pop out drink holder that looks like a winch fair lead. Something similar to this santanainteriors.com/products/billet/

Ddays

Hooked
This thing is awesome!

So when does construction start on the replica Rubicon Trail in the backyard? ;)

Top Bottom