Starting from scratch

Ramgxr03

Does it even matter if I start with a Rubicon or a Sport if gears are being changed for a new lift and all the other "standard" mods are going to be made anyway?

I see a lot of guys fork out the cash for a Rubicon then right away turn around and drop even more on serious mods. So I often wonder if they could have saved by starting out with a different model jeep.

Thanks for the input

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
My favorite debate! :pop2:

Do you have money set aside that you don't plan on using towards a down payment? If so I can totally see the benefit of a sport over a Rubicon.

If you want to roll off of the lot and be able to go further than any other factory 4x4 then a Rubicon is for you. Add a budget boost, 35s and be able to tackle a lot of trails.

These are my opinions after owning both a sport and now a Rubicon.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What I can tell you is that I have done it both ways and when it came time to do it again, I bought another Rubicon. If I had to do it again, I would if only because it'll come with a 4:1 transfer case, electronic sway bar disconnect, nicer seats and nav options that you just can't get on a Sport. Of course, the Rubicon does come with a Dana 44 front ring and pinion and shafts and front and rear lockers. Depending on how big you're wanting to go, it'll be all that you need. A Sport will only have a Dana 30 front and no lockers. If you get the Rubicon, get it with the 3.73 gears and use the money you save for re-gearing. If you're going to go much bigger, sell your axles and use that money to help pay for the new ones. Every which way you look at it, the Rubicon is a better buy.

Ramgxr03

Thanks. That's all great info! Rubicon it is. Im planning on 37s with all the EVO attention I've seen on other threads. I'm still 50/50 on auto vs manual based on all the info I've read on here. But definitely 37s with the appropriate lift and gears. Thanks again.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
What I can tell you is that I have done it both ways and when it came time to do it again, I bought another Rubicon. If I had to do it again, I would if only because it'll come with a 4:1 transfer case, electronic sway bar disconnect, nicer seats and nav options that you just can't get on a Sport. Of course, the Rubicon does come with a Dana 44 front ring and pinion and shafts and front and rear lockers. Depending on how big you're wanting to go, it'll be all that you need. A Sport will only have a Dana 30 front and no lockers. If you get the Rubicon, get it with the 3.73 gears and use the money you save for re-gearing. If you're going to go much bigger, sell your axles and use that money to help pay for the new ones. Every which way you look at it, the Rubicon is a better buy.

^^ This, because I could have had lockers already, and the 4:1 transfer case, but there wasn't a single Rubi around, when I bought.

toxicwaste29

I got my 2012 jku in 2012 with 4k miles for only 20k. It was a heck of a deal so I couldn't pass it up. I still wish though it was a Rubicon instead

Napalm

The age old debate!

I just bought a 2016 Sport. Would I have like to have bought a Rubicon? Of course. For what I payed for my new sport, I could have purchased a decent used rubicon. But, after some bad experiences with used vehicles, I didn't feel like taking another chance on one.

As weird as it sounds, I don't plan on any suspension/wheels/tires/axles/ etc mods anywhere close in the near future. If I did, I might have considered a rubicon more. But for now, my Jeep is just what it is! For what I use my JKU for, it works just fine for me.

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
My favorite debate! :pop2:

Lol. Oh man, this thread takes me back. I think some of my first searches on a then Eddie-own forum was all about what to buy. What model. What options. What mods I might have planned. Etc etc.

Some guy Wayolife and some other guy named GCM2 seemed to know what they were talking about back then. [emoji6]

Long story short I went with the rubicon, for all of the reasons Ty and Eddie mention below. The only bad decision was going with the factory 4.10 gear upgrade. Having made the jump to 37s and skipping 35s, it ended up being money wasted.

Do you have money set aside that you don't plan on using towards a down payment? If so I can totally see the benefit of a sport over a Rubicon.

If you want to roll off of the lot and be able to go further than any other factory 4x4 then a Rubicon is for you. Add a budget boost, 35s and be able to tackle a lot of trails.

These are my opinions after owning both a sport and now a Rubicon.

Some guy Wayolife and some other guy named GCM2 seemed to know what they were talking about back then.

I feel like ive heard of them somewhere, just cant put a finger on it.

To the OP, if you can afford it, i would definately do the Rubicon for reasons already stated. It is more hardcore right off the lot. Several things like the t-case, e-disco and Nav awesome options to have.

If i hadnt found the deal that i got on my sport, i was going to buy a rubicon.

uberc4

The Rubicon is the better bet if you can afford it. I debated this same question before I bought my JKUR. I knew that I would end up changing the axles. With that being said, I could at least recoup some money when I sold the OEM ones. :thumb:

Plus you get neat looking stickers on your hood ;)

Ramgxr03

Well it took me a year and a half from my original post to get it but I finally did and could not be happier. Thanks for the advice to all. My brother liked my Rubi so much that he went and bought himself one the very next day. No joke. Ha. See you all on the trails! IMG_6745.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom