Windrock TN, Redbird IN, or SMOR for wheeling trip

mastrcruse

Looking for opinions on this years wheelin trip. My brother and I have made it a tradition to do a wheeling trip per year. We're looking into 3 parks that are between Ohio (he lives) and Texas..

1) Southern Missouri offroad ranch
2) Dugger, Indiana (Redbird SRA)
3) Windrock Park, Tennessee

Possibly a 4th...
4) Stony Lonesome OHV Park, Alabama

Anyone on the forum wheeled at 2 or 3 of the top 4 places? I've seen some really good comments on IN and SMOR but not much on Windrock or stony lonesome from friends in Texas so thought this would be a good place to ask.

Thanks

TennJK

Looking for opinions on this years wheelin trip. My brother and I have made it a tradition to do a wheeling trip per year. We're looking into 3 parks that are between Ohio (he lives) and Texas..

1) Southern Missouri offroad ranch
2) Dugger, Indiana (Redbird SRA)
3) Windrock Park, Tennessee

Possibly a 4th...
4) Stony Lonesome OHV Park, Alabama

Anyone on the forum wheeled at 2 or 3 of the top 4 places? I've seen some really good comments on IN and SMOR but not much on Windrock or stony lonesome from friends in Texas so thought this would be a good place to ask.

Thanks

We just wheeled windrock yesterday. If you look up the forum for it we posted a lot of pictures. It's great area and you could have a lot of fun there. It was the end of summer pre run #2. Check it out!

metalic

Redbird isn't worth the trip. Tight, muddy, and isn't real big. Never been to SMORR but wheeling buddies have and say it's great. I will be there this year.

mastrcruse

Redbird isn't worth the trip. Tight, muddy, and isn't real big. Never been to SMORR but wheeling buddies have and say it's great. I will be there this year.

Thanks! I'm seeing a few comments like yours. I'm seeing comments about SMORR that make it sound awesome. I saw a few say you can get through Redbird in a day. That might be a good thing though...do Redbird for a day then drive the 3 hours to SMORR. That could be fun

metalic

Thanks! I'm seeing a few comments like yours. I'm seeing comments about SMORR that make it sound awesome. I saw a few say you can get through Redbird in a day. That might be a good thing though...do Redbird for a day then drive the 3 hours to SMORR. That could be fun

I can be at Redbird in a hour and a half and don't plan on going back. From Redbird to SMORR is probably around 6hr. Drive

thardy

Banned
In my opinion, Windrock cannot be beat when it comes to endless options. Over 300+ miles of trail of every skill level and absolutely amazing views.

mastrcruse

I can be at Redbird in a hour and a half and don't plan on going back. From Redbird to SMORR is probably around 6hr. Drive

Thanks. That bad eh? What was the issues with it?

Weird..Maps says its 3.5 hours but that wouldn't be the first time Maps was completely wrong haha.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Thanks. That bad eh? What was the issues with it?

Weird..Maps says its 3.5 hours but that wouldn't be the first time Maps was completely wrong haha.

I live 60 miles west of St. Louis and it's a 3 hour drive to SMORR from my house. It's a great, really the only one I've been to locally. 940+ acres and extremely nice facilities and camping. The owner, Brandon, is a great guy and is always willing to make everyone feel at home. If you make a trip to SMORR, post up here on the forum and let us know dates, there's some great people here on the forum that I now call friends since I met them on a wheeling trip to SMORR.

mastrcruse

I live 60 miles west of St. Louis and it's a 3 hour drive to SMORR from my house. It's a great, really the only one I've been to locally. 940+ acres and extremely nice facilities and camping. The owner, Brandon, is a great guy and is always willing to make everyone feel at home. If you make a trip to SMORR, post up here on the forum and let us know dates, there's some great people here on the forum that I now call friends since I met them on a wheeling trip to SMORR.

Will do! Thanks.

metalic

You don't go to flat nasty?

Sullivan

I've been to all 3this past year. Smorr, redbird and Windrock.

Smorr is the best. I am going back this year and probably every year. Trails are mild to wild. Extremely well marked and the facilities are awesome. You can spend a few days there and there will be tons left that you can't get too.

Windrock was awesome as well, but it's HUGE. Pack a lunch and everything you need when you leave camp because you are in deep. Some trails can take a whole day. I will probably be going back there as well. I have trail that gave me a hassle and it needs its ass blocked this time around.

Redbird was fun but small. One day or 2 at most. It's fun but nowhere near Smorr or Windrock.

thardy

Banned

Smorr is the best. I am going back this year and probably every year. Trails are mild to wild. Extremely well marked and the facilities are awesome. You can spend a few days there and there will be tons left that you can't get too.

Windrock was awesome as well, but it's HUGE. Pack a lunch and everything you need when you leave camp because you are in deep. Some trails can take a whole day. I will probably be going back there as well. I have trail that gave me a hassle and it needs its ass blocked this time around.

Redbird was fun but small. One day or 2 at most. It's fun but nowhere near Smorr or Windrock.

Windrock really is huge. What trail got you?

mastrcruse

Awesome! Thanks and appreciate your comments. This'll be a long weekend trip so I'm thinking of driving to Indiana on Thursday, wheeling on Friday, and then driving to SMORR for Saturday/Sunday....drive home Monday. It gives me time to do Redbird and get the itch for SMORR so I come back.

Sullivan

You could spend all that time at Smorr and be happy. Not sure on your rig but redbird can be done in a day. Not super technical like Smorr but it's something.

Trail 40 & 40a gave me some fits. It's a long story and we made it thru, but I need to do it again. We had massive rains the day before we got there so all the trails were washed out. We hooked up with 6 rock bouncers and they were struggling to get thru.

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
I would be up for some wheeling @ SMORR when and if you hit it up. KS Rocks, just north of Ft Scott, KS. is a decent place for some wheeling as well.
Hit me up when you think you might be going and I'll start to plan accordingly.

mastrcruse

I would be up for some wheeling @ SMORR when and if you hit it up. KS Rocks, just north of Ft Scott, KS. is a decent place for some wheeling as well.
Hit me up when you think you might be going and I'll start to plan accordingly.

Sounds good. I'll let y'all know. Thanks! Gonna be a blast.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
You don't go to flat nasty?

Haven't been yet. I don't get out to wheel much with two small kids at home on top of working a lot of hours. Only been to SMORR and honestly fell in love with the place the first time I went, well worth the 3 hour drive for me. Plus we have friends in Springfield, so we get to see them while we're down there too

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Any updates on your plans to go to SMORR? We aren't going to be able to make it down there for Midwest Jeepthing's Jeepstock event this year, something has come up. So we're planning on making a long weekend run down there on a different date sometime after next month. Let me know if you had any dates in mind.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I'd be interested in going to SMORR, it's 3 hr for me.
I'm gonna try and get a small group together after June, maybe sometime in July or August. I had plans to go there for Midwest Jeepthing's Jeepstock this year, but my plans fell through. We went last year and had an absolute blast! I'll keep you posted :thumb:

Top Bottom