Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight 440lb Electric Hoist - Leaving Hardtop up

Been Around the Block shadowpaige64507's Avatar

Harbor Freight 440lb Electric Hoist - Leaving Hardtop up

Question for anyone using the Harbor Freight or any electric hoist. Do you just hoist it up and not worry about it? or do you provide additional support after raising up? I assume the brake system is fine for holding the load, just curious on others thoughts. I plan on leaving my top on it for a week or so at a time.

PS. I only ask about HF because they are affordable and we just had a store open up here.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpaige64507 View Post
    Question for anyone using the Harbor Freight or any electric hoist. Do you just hoist it up and not worry about it? or do you provide additional support after raising up? I assume the brake system is fine for holding the load, just curious on others thoughts. I plan on leaving my top on it for a week or so at a time.

PS. I only ask about HF because they are affordable and we just had a store open up here.
    I wouldn't trust leaving the load on any electric hoist. That's just me. I would assume the instructions would say something about that. I would secure the load with a chain or something once it is hoisted. Parts fail all the time, not worth it. And truthfully, I've had tons of stuff break that have been purchased at HF, some stuff is good to buy there, and some stuff isn't.

I'm debating on just getting a hand crank. Just thought the electric would be quicker.

Knows a Thing or Two Goldeneagle1LC's Avatar
    You could set up the hand crank to accept a socket and use a drill to power it. I would still Secure the line as well in case the ratchet lock on the hand crank fails. That isn't common but i have seen it happen.

I bought a 2000lb hoist from Amazon that was highly rated. Works great for taking the top off. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454625703.624743.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mackey View Post
    I bought a 2000lb hoist from Amazon that was highly rated. Works great for taking the top off. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454625703.624743.jpg
    #GarageEnvy

Quote Originally Posted by mackey View Post
    What are you using off the hoist as your 4 connection points to the hard top?
    "It’s so hard for me to sit back here in this studio, looking at a guy out here, hollering my name!—When last year I spent more money, on spilled liquor, in bars from one side of this world to the other, than you made! You’re talking to the Rolex wearing, diamond ring wearing, kiss stealing, [WHOO!] wheelin dealin’, limousine riding, jet flying son of a gun and i'm having a hard time holding these alligators down!"

Quote Originally Posted by swampdog View Post
    What are you using off the hoist as your 4 connection points to the hard top?
    I bought 4, one thousand pound rated motorcycle straps/tiedowns

This is what I use. I just pull my jeep underneath it and lower it down on top. Hook up to top and lift it off. I can place my freedom panels on top of the rack also. Bought at Lowes but Amazon has then too.
    hoisted-storage.jpg
    2013 JK Unlimited Rubicon
    Bright White
    Hardtop
    4.10-Auto

Modifications so far: EVO LEVEL, LOD Rock Rails, Rock Hard oil/trans skid, Rock Hard Sport Cage, Drake hood latches, Truck-lite LED Headlights, Rigid Dually D2 LED's, DIY Grill Inserts, CB, Spiderweb Shade, Poison Spyder Diff. Covers.

Build Thread (SLOW) - http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...r-build-thread

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteCrystal View Post
    #GarageEnvy
    You take the garage, I have dibs on the Jeep!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast