Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    Lol, that's funny. I'm trying to keep mine secure and above the jeep for under $30 bucks. We shall see.. The weather here in Texas has me longer for some top off time.
    I hear that! It was 61 degrees in Wisconsin on Sunday. Excitement got the best of me and had to go top and door less even though it was just for a few hours. Yesterday we got 4" of snow. Booo!ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456957029.640219.jpg

Been Around the Block
    Im just jealous of your garage ceiling height. Having 8' ceilings sucks for this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by japatton View Post
    I use this same hoist. Works great!!Attachment 185968
    Oh hey I like the idea of the top above the garage door there. I just attached some 2x4s with eye bolts through them at the back of the garage and use ratchet straps to lift it up. Thinking of changing it up with a hand crank or small winch. Might just have to change the whole thing up now! Nice job man.
    Fear the thief of dreams...

Thanks!! It needs a little tweaking, but it works pretty good. That's my third stall and it has doors on both ends, so it's a drive thru. That lift system is nice as you can hang the top underneath and store the freedom panels above.

Harbor Freight 440lb Electric Hoist - Leaving Hardtop up

"Is that a drive thru garage? I was going to joke about not having a garage door opener than I saw the other side which has one. Awesome!"

Yes, it's a drive-through. The previous owner had a boat and he would store it behind the 3rd stall. It seems like a good idea, but that door essentially wasted a great area for a nice work bench. I have pretty much fallen out of love with it. I'm thinking about enclosing the area behind the door and making that area my shop/4th stall and remove the door.
    Last edited by japatton; 03-03-2016 at 02:49 AM.

Harbor Freight 440lb Electric Hoist - Leaving Hardtop up

Quote Originally Posted by sipafz View Post
    I'm considering this same setup since other members have recommended. My question is how does it lock when raised? I just want to make sure it's safe and secure since family members will be walking under when in use.
    If you look at the pic of my hoist, notice the red part. That is the lock that swings down into the crank to lock it. It is actually UNLOCKED in that pic!! Oops!
    Last edited by japatton; 03-03-2016 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by japatton View Post
    If you look at the pic of my hoist, notice the red part. That is the lock that swings down into the crank to lock it. It is actually UNLOCKED in that pic!! Oops!
    Thanks! I just need to take some measurements and get one on order!

Built one using Harbor Freight hoist and it works excellent. It's at least 8 years old and not a single problem. Can remove the hard top in less than 10 minutes by myself.
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456975279.309114.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456975301.510636.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456975311.964858.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJK View Post
    Built one using Harbor Freight hoist and it works excellent. It's at least 8 years old and not a single problem. Can remove the hard top in less than 10 minutes by myself.
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456975279.309114.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456975301.510636.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456975311.964858.jpg
    I would like to retrofit an electric winch on my lift someday. Too many other projects in the way, like finishing the garage!!

Been Around the Block Bunz-o-fun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by el_chupo_ View Post
    Im just jealous of your garage ceiling height. Having 8' ceilings sucks for this sort of thing.
    Amen to that! Those 10ft-15ft ceilings are making me drool!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast