Harbor Freight 440lb Electric Hoist - Leaving Hardtop up

Question for anyone using the Harbor Freight or any electric hoist. Do you just hoist it up and not worry about it? or do you provide additional support after raising up? I assume the brake system is fine for holding the load, just curious on others thoughts. I plan on leaving my top on it for a week or so at a time.

PS. I only ask about HF because they are affordable and we just had a store open up here.

WJCO

Meme King
Question for anyone using the Harbor Freight or any electric hoist. Do you just hoist it up and not worry about it? or do you provide additional support after raising up? I assume the brake system is fine for holding the load, just curious on others thoughts. I plan on leaving my top on it for a week or so at a time.

PS. I only ask about HF because they are affordable and we just had a store open up here.

I wouldn't trust leaving the load on any electric hoist. That's just me. I would assume the instructions would say something about that. I would secure the load with a chain or something once it is hoisted. Parts fail all the time, not worth it. And truthfully, I've had tons of stuff break that have been purchased at HF, some stuff is good to buy there, and some stuff isn't.

You could set up the hand crank to accept a socket and use a drill to power it. I would still Secure the line as well in case the ratchet lock on the hand crank fails. That isn't common but i have seen it happen.

mackey

I bought a 2000lb hoist from Amazon that was highly rated. Works great for taking the top off. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454625703.624743.jpg

CCTX50

This is what I use. I just pull my jeep underneath it and lower it down on top. Hook up to top and lift it off. I can place my freedom panels on top of the rack also. Bought at Lowes but Amazon has then too.
hoisted-storage.jpg

sipafz

Caught the Bug
This is what I use. I just pull my jeep underneath it and lower it down on top. Hook up to top and lift it off. I can place my freedom panels on top of the rack also. Bought at Lowes but Amazon has then too.
View attachment 185950

I'm considering this same setup since other members have recommended. My question is how does it lock when raised? I just want to make sure it's safe and secure since family members will be walking under when in use.

Napalm

You guys and all your fancy lifts! LoL. I'm considering just using Ratchet straps and I bolts in the ceiling rafters. I've heard it's a little more unstable bringing it down but I'd like to give it a try.

I've been really happy with my new setup. Already had the top off several times this year. Only have about $100 invested at this point.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456936985.861127.jpg

I was looking for something easy to do by myself more than anything.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
You guys and all your fancy lifts! LoL. I'm considering just using Ratchet straps and I bolts in the ceiling rafters. I've heard it's a little more unstable bringing it down but I'd like to give it a try.

Fancy? That's not fancy! Fancy would be to combine the Racor lift and electric hoist! Also considering!

Napalm

Fancy? That's not fancy! Fancy would be to combine the Racor lift and electric hoist! Also considering!

Lol, that's funny. I'm trying to keep mine secure and above the jeep for under $30 bucks. We shall see.. The weather here in Texas has me longer for some top off time.

Lol, that's funny. I'm trying to keep mine secure and above the jeep for under $30 bucks. We shall see.. The weather here in Texas has me longer for some top off time.

All you need is a pulley, some line, and 5 carabiners to make one yourself. Unless you know how to tie Prussian Loops and then you can use those instead.

Top Bottom