Hidden Falls 2/20

Stick

I'm thinking about taking a trip to Hidden Falls on 2/20 and looking for some info. I have a stock 2016 JKU Sahara and I'm looking to finally take it off the paved road and was wondering if there are any trails out there I could run? Also if anyone is in the neighborhood want to come out and show my the ropes and their setups. This is my first Jeep I've owned and this will be my first off-road experience so any info would be appreciated.

iRonin

Heya; in short, yeah, there's plenty you can do @ Hidden Falls even completely stock.

Check out some of the existing TX Wayalife threads, there's usually folks headed out, or for a more local option, look up the Austin Jeep People Facebook group and join in- that local club is constantly doing Hidden Falls just about every weekend and they do a lot of newbie runs (I help with some of them).

I personally will be out of country that weekend or I'd offer, but between those two sources you should be able to find folks to wheel with! Best of luck!

Angry Aussie

There are plenty of trails you can run in a stock rig and there are a lot of by passes offered in spots. It will just depend on your comfort level as to what to run out there. There are some videos on you tube that could give you an idea of some of the trails out there. I might be able to make it out that weekend if I can I'll let you know. But your best bet is to find a newbie run to join or I think hidden falls offers and off roading course of some kind. Best way to get to know the park and your jeep is to get out there and explore.

Jackal01

Search for the HF Newbie Run that was in October last year. There were a couple stock/mostly stock JKUs.

dcm80401

They are not going to put you in a class with heavy modified rigs, it would not be fair to anyone.

However, I think they would work with you. Give them a call, great people. I am sure this has come up before.

Last edited:

Angry Aussie

Seems like your best bet would be to find someone on here who has newbie patients and would be willing to show you around and teach you the dos and dont's while you are out there. I'm sure there would be some folks willing to help you out.

Angry Aussie

Sadly I can't make it out this weekend, my chance out will be in March sometime. I'll let you know when I'll be heading out there again. Hopefully someone can meet you out there.

Stick

Don't worry about it, hopefully next time I'll have a lift and bigger tires so I can follow you on some of the harder trails.

Jegar

Heya; in short, yeah, there's plenty you can do @ Hidden Falls even completely stock.

Check out some of the existing TX Wayalife threads, there's usually folks headed out, or for a more local option, look up the Austin Jeep People Facebook group and join in- that local club is constantly doing Hidden Falls just about every weekend and they do a lot of newbie runs (I help with some of them).

I personally will be out of country that weekend or I'd offer, but between those two sources you should be able to find folks to wheel with! Best of luck!

^^^^ I 2nd this recommendation. iRonin guided the Wayalife HF newbie run this past fall, and it was a fantastic time, and iRonin is an outstanding trail leader. I did take his advise and joined the Austin Jeep People (AJP) as well. In fact, I am hoping to catch up with a small group from AJP this Sunday. Also check out All My Texas Neighbors thread, 2017 Great Texas Exodus thread, and Escondido Draw Recreational Area thread. [emoji41]

Stick

If you don't mind me asking where are you meeting up with the people from AJP on Sunday? I'm going to be down that way all weekend long. I would love to see what other people have done to their Jeeps since I'm getting ready to lift mine.

Last edited:

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
Anyone going to be around this weekend who wouldn't mind showing me the ropes?

I see that your from garland. Being that your pretty much in between Hidden Falls and Barnwell Mountain. I will actually be at Barnwell all day Saturday. If you cant find anyone to go with you to HF and are open to changing spots if you havent already committed to a hotel/cabin. id be glad to wheel and meet up with a fellow Wayalifer [emoji106]🏻. Might i add, i feel that Barnwell is a great place to learn to wheel and is a lot more forgiving to the underside of your jeep. lol

Edit: Just saw that you said you were going to be in Austin all that weekend.

Jegar

If you don't mind me asking where are you meeting up with the people from AJP on Sunday? I'm going to be down that way all weekend long. I would love to see what other people have done to their Jeeps since I'm getting ready to lift mine.

That's a good question! I'm not exactly sure myself, but it seems from reading the threads on their site, one shows up in area B (main camping) and look for AJP Badges, and just go up and introduce yourself.

I actually had my schedule open up and I am going on Sat. (Looks to be much better weather than Sun.) I think the park opens at 8am, so I was planning in trying to get there at that time and then try to find the group after registering, airing down, and disconnecting.

You can PM for my cell. I've been on several runs, but I am a newbie (and a girl, at that!) myself, so I wouldn't be able to take just me and you, but I would be glad to introduce you as s guest if I catch up with the group.

Below is a picture of my baby (taken at Wolf Caves -- a new off-road ranch in Mason, TX. It is beautiful, with granite rocks that are the coolest to climb, but they also tear the hell out of your rig. Definitely want to start with HF!)
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455852915.663116.jpg

Stick

Thanks for the offer Texas Nick if I didn't already reservations down in Austin I would quickly switch and head east instead of south. Maybe next time I get a weekend off we can meet up some where, I look forward to meeting any and all wayalifers.

Jegar I sent you a PM with my number and look forward to meeting you.

Top Bottom