Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Great Gas Can Debate

Quote Originally Posted by NevadaZielmeister View Post
    I guess I would have to compare their price to the price of extraction by a tow company or even walking. $119.95 for the 4 gallon version seems pretty cheap to me.
    You're comparing the wrong things.

2 Gal Rotopax: $80
    2 Gal Home Depot gas can: $15

The rotopax looks cool, attaches nicely, and I may end up buying a couple, but the markup seems crazy to me.

Do you have an aftermarket bumper/tire carrier yet? If not I run the OR Fab carrier with roto pax and have been very happy with it. It allows me to carry 6 gallons of fuel in 2 three gallon cans.

This is the only good shot I have on my phone currently
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454534094.081731.jpg.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

Quote Originally Posted by cozdude View Post
    Do you have an aftermarket bumper/tire carrier yet? If not I run the OR Fab carrier with roto pax and have been very happy with it. It allows me to carry 6 gallons of fuel in 2 three gallon cans.

I like the look of that. Simple and accessible. I may have another project to work on!
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

What are your thoughts on running the cans between the tailgate and tire as that does vs on the side of the tire? I'm thinking running them in the middle hurts your departure angle by moving the tire farther out but maybe there's a disadvantage of mounting them on the side of the tire as well

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteCrystal View Post
    What are your thoughts on running the cans between the tailgate and tire as that does vs on the side of the tire? I'm thinking running them in the middle hurts your departure angle by moving the tire farther out but maybe there's a disadvantage of mounting them on the side of the tire as well
    I haven't noticed to much of an issue with departure angle since I got it about 3 years ago now. They sit very close to the body which helps keep the tire as tight as possible. The only thing I don't like about this set up is that it leaves the tire more exposed for hitting a rock and such. To help eliminate some of that I plan to have a hitch slider made like the one Overlander runs in the pic below
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454536379.200029.jpg.

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

that JK looks familiar

old school cans

95 ZJ : Clayton 6" : 8.8 : HP30 : 4.88s : Aussie F/R : 242 SYE : RCVs : 35 MTZs : XD9000

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

Caught the Bug
    I have a 5 gallon Jerry can I got from work, can beat free army issue stuff haha. I'm currently working on a mounting solution though
    sent from inside a C-130

I am having the same problem with my TJ. I have two 5 gallon jerry cans and can't decide on what mounting method I want to go with. As of right now I keep them inside behind the back seat. Which isn't the best spot for them at all.

How was the install on that? I was literally just looking at them, debating between the rotopax version and the Jerry can version.
    "A Warrior Lives a life of contradiction, for he strives to create a world in which he is no longer needed"

BOHICA / 2016 Mojave Sand JKU
    BOHICA Build Thread

CRYSTAL / 2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JK Unlimited
    CRYSTAL Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteCrystal View Post
    Per the OR Fab website, they combat the departure angle issue by raising the tire by 5 1/2 inches. I was thinking the same thing as you, but after hearing no complaints from users and seeing pics and vids from when GCM2 ran one, I think I'm going to go for it.
    "A Warrior Lives a life of contradiction, for he strives to create a world in which he is no longer needed"

BOHICA / 2016 Mojave Sand JKU
    BOHICA Build Thread

CRYSTAL / 2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JK Unlimited
    CRYSTAL Build Thread

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast