Question on RIPP supercharger

jesseh9

Hey fellow jeepers,
got a question for y'all

I have a '12 wrangler jk on 35" mud grapplers around AEV Savegres. 4 inch full coil and shock/strut lift. K&N cold air intake running through the pentastar and out through the Dynomax 39513 Ultra Flow exhaust. As much as I'd love some smitty built fenders or a winch or another cosmetic beauty. I'm thinking about throwing in the RIPP supercharger. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Pros or cons?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't done any after market gearing so I presume the stock 3:21

Assuming that is the case, I would spend your money regearing to a higher ratio than wasting your money on a RIPP that'll only give you about 25 HP and a world of other headaches.

jesseh9

Appreciate it. What would you suggest re-gearing to? And if I were to re-gear and then add the RIPP, is it true it'll actually go from around 189 RWHP to roughly 325 RWHP?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a 19 yr old noob who loves to wheel and drive hard.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Appreciate it. What would you suggest re-gearing to?

4.56s or 4.88s as mentioned.

And if I were to re-gear and then add the RIPP, is it true it'll actually go from around 189 RWHP to roughly 325 RWHP?

Highly doubtful.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a 19 yr old noob who loves to wheel and drive hard.

Its not a corvette. Its a brick on wheels. deal with it or look into swapping a v8 into it and all that that entails.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Appreciate it. What would you suggest re-gearing to? And if I were to re-gear and then add the RIPP, is it true it'll actually go from around 189 RWHP to roughly 325 RWHP? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a 19 yr old noob who loves to wheel and drive hard.

#1 If it were me in your situation, I would go 4.88. This gives you a great gear for 35s.

#2 No, you will not. Don't buy into the marketing hype. My advice would be skip the supercharger.

#3 If you love to wheel and drive hard, concentrate on making the Jeep a better Jeep. Regear first. Get some good sliders so you don't screw up your rocker panels when your wheeling. Recovery gear for when you inevitably need it. Like to drive fast Offroad? Axles, suspension, etc. The supercharger will not help you any Offroad and is likely to cause overheating issues, as well as other issues. I've driven a supercharged JK and can tell you the power band in which the HP kicks in is likely not going to help you on the road while daily driving either.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
Hey fellow jeepers,
got a question for y'all

I have a '12 wrangler jk on 35" mud grapplers around AEV Savegres. 4 inch full coil and shock/strut lift. K&N cold air intake running through the pentastar and out through the Dynomax 39513 Ultra Flow exhaust. As much as I'd love some smitty built fenders or a winch or another cosmetic beauty. I'm thinking about throwing in the RIPP supercharger. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Pros or cons?

I haven't done any after market gearing so I presume the stock 3:21

I'd recommend regearing 1st, regearing will help the engine get back into it's powerband, with the 3.6 and 35's, 4.88 gears should be a good fit.

I've only seen versions of the RIPP SC for the 3.8 and those that I know that had it spent a lot more money to get them working or gave up and sold the SC. One guy I talked to was happy with it for street but not for off-road, the power would kick in and was not smooth across the powerband. He told me he spent about an additional $2500 to get it working (long tube headers, exhaust system, hood and radiator for better cooling) also, the setup made it a real PIA to work on the jeep without basically removing most of it.

Not sure how the RIPP 3.6 version is but looks like they did a lot of mods to get to their numbers.

I have driven a 3.6L Jeep with the Edelbrock SC and I have to admit it's pretty sweet, smooth and the fit looks nice and clean.

I think all SC's require you to use 93octane but not 100% sure

But as mentioned, regearing will likely give you back the power you lost with 35's and your stock 3.21 gears.

jorgelrod

Hooked
I don't know about most, but here in the boonies, we deal a lot in mud and water, The SCs for the 3.6 that I've seen relocate the alternator from it's perch up high to the bottom so that is the first con in my book. Overheating is a serious issue when you are running a lot in low range, you see a lot of videos of guys doing donuts on 40's with a RIPP, you don't see a lot of videos of people crawling or mudding with them as they don't "demonstrate" its potential since it's basically useless in those situations based on where in the powerband you get the benefits...

What everybody else said...

SSGTOZ

I'll have to learn through hindsight.

I just ordered the go. This is my first Jeep build

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I just ordered the RIPP Supercharger for my 08 Unlimited, it is stock other than a TrailDash2. I plan on running their headers (still shopping for muffler). I plan on getting a ProRock 44 to replace the D30 up front and going to regear to 5.13 (that was recommended). Still torn between the 35" or 37" tires. Like I said I guess I'll learn through hindsight if it was the way to go. This is my first Jeep build so its all about minimizing the mistakes IMHO.

No offense, but that is a pretty big dollar mistake that you didn't minimize.

WJCO

Meme King
See this:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?15932-2008-JK-RIPP-Supercharger-Stage2-Problems

My experience with aftermarket forced air induction has led to one thing after another. Fix something, something else breaks. If I were to do it now, I would buy and old Honda Civic or similar vehicle for 2000 bucks and mess around with that as an un-driveable project on the side. I wouldn't do it on a nicer new vehicle that runs perfectly fine.

I just ordered the RIPP Supercharger for my 08 Unlimited, it is stock other than a TrailDash2. I plan on running their headers (still shopping for muffler). I plan on getting a ProRock 44 to replace the D30 up front and going to regear to 5.13 (that was recommended). Still torn between the 35" or 37" tires. Like I said I guess I'll learn through hindsight if it was the way to go. This is my first Jeep build so its all about minimizing the mistakes IMHO.

No offense, but that is a pretty big dollar mistake that you didn't minimize.

Don't know that it was a mistake just yet.

I truly hope it works out for you, but aftermarket forced air induction can lead to a lot of headaches. Please keep us posted with pictures as you build this thing so it may help others. If it works, great. If not, I don't think a lot of members will be surprised. Either way, keep us posted. Good luck.

WJCO

Meme King

I suggest getting your muffler from Matt at Dynomax. He is a sponsor of the forum and very helpful to talk to. You can send him a private message.

http://wayalife.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=5652

SSGTOZ

I truly hope it works out for you, but aftermarket forced air induction can lead to a lot of headaches. Please keep us posted with pictures as you build this thing so it may help others. If it works, great. If not, I don't think a lot of members will be surprised. Either way, keep us posted. Good luck.

I'm having everything done up at Northridge 4x4 in Silverdale which I believe will mitigate some issues or at least hook me up to some muscle in case something does go wrong. I honestly hope to be the exception to the rule, but who knows. I will start getting things on here as soon as I get them accomplished.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I'm having everything done up at Northridge 4x4 in Silverdale which I believe will mitigate some issues or at least hook me up to some muscle in case something does go wrong. I honestly hope to be the exception to the rule, but who knows. I will start getting things on here as soon as I get them accomplished.

:cheesy: How much research into doing things "right" the first time have you done?

Top Bottom