Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Oscar's No Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteCrystal View Post
    Great job! Thanks for making notes of measurements. I'd like to make a version of this from a vastly smaller set of available tools sometime. Sounds like you have great access to a shop.
    Thanks man! Here's a couple of tips:

- Commit to hanging the doors paint side out. To hang the doors paint side in, you have to lift the doors off the Jeep, set them down and lift them from the interior side to hang them. It's really awkward and your paint will take a beating!

- Re-enforce your wall studs. Most studs have only 4 nails holding them in place, 2 at the top & 2 at the bottom. The last thing you want is to come home and find that the stud ripped out of the wall and your doors are on the floor!

- Make sure that the stand-offs are plumb and hangers level. If you do a good job, the natural weighting of the doors will hold them to the wall instead of pivoting (drifting) on their own.

- The hinge pin holes must be aligned from the top hanger to the bottom hanger. I carefully laid mine out with a digital height gage. Another good method would be to clamp two hanger bars together and drill/ream through both at the same time. When mounting the hangers to the stand-offs make sure that the left/right alignment is good between upper and lower hangers.

Ok - that was a lot especially since your still shopping for your new garage!

Quote Originally Posted by sipafz View Post
    Thanks man! Here's a couple of tips:

- Commit to hanging the doors paint side out. To hang the doors paint side in, you have to lift the doors off the Jeep, set them down and lift them from the interior side to hang them. It's really awkward and your paint will take a beating!

- Re-enforce your wall studs. Most studs have only 4 nails holding them in place, 2 at the top & 2 at the bottom. The last thing you want is to come home and find that the stud ripped out of the wall and your doors are on the floor!

- Make sure that the stand-offs are plumb and hangers level. If you do a good job, the natural weighting of the doors will hold them to the wall instead of pivoting (drifting) on their own.

- The hinge pin holes must be aligned from the top hanger to the bottom hanger. I carefully laid mine out with a digital height gage. Another good method would be to clamp two hanger bars together and drill/ream through both at the same time. When mounting the hangers to the stand-offs make sure that the left/right alignment is good between upper and lower hangers.

Ok - that was a lot especially since your still shopping for your new garage!
    Just what I'm looking for though! Thanks!

Oscar's No Build Thread

DIY Grab Handles.

Like many, I can't see spending $100 plus on a set of grab handles and buying a set of knockoffs doesn't excite me. I had been thinking about making a set for some time now.

I started with finding a few short lengths of 3/4" EMT conduit that was left over from the last machine install:

IMG_4205.jpg

I made a few prototypes before settling on the final shape and design. You can read more about that here:

http://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=873825

I ended up using a 1/2" hand bender to bend my 3/4" conduit to achieve a tighter radius and give me the shape that I desired. The best way I found to do this is to do a floor bend:

IMG_4245.JPG

Slow is the key to prevent kinking! I ended up making my first bend more than 45, but less than 60 degrees. The second bend was spaced 5" and made to more than 30, but less than 45 degrees.

IMG_4246.jpg

And trimmed at the band saw:

IMG_4251.jpg

IMG_4252.jpg

I used a hydraulic press to flatten the ends (a vise would be effective to complete this task):

IMG_4253.jpg

IMG_4254.jpg

IMG_4255.jpg

IMG_4256.jpg

Drilled a 11/32" diameter hole to let a 5/16" bolt pass thru for connecting to the "A" pillar:

IMG_4262.jpg

And used a vise to bend the roll bar tab:

IMG_4263.jpg

Finished handle:

IMG_4264.jpg

In the Jeep, remove the "A" pillar trim. Remove the harness from the circled pink hole, cut the anchor from the harness and drill the hole open to 11/32" diameter. Tap the orange circled hole to 5/16-18:

IMG_4242.jpg

Cut a slot into the roll bar padding with a razor blade to let the grab bar tab thru:

IMG_4271.jpg

Carefully mark and cut the plastic trim to allow clearance for the grabs. I used a band saw and a small abrasive tool:

IMG_4265.jpg

IMG_4279.jpg

You can toss these:

IMG_4304.jpg

Mount the grab. I use a 5/16-18x3/4 button head bolt and nut on the "A" pillar. I was able to get an open end wrench thru the marked slot with a nut taped to the wrench:

IMG_4282.jpg

Attach the top tab to the roll bar with a hose clamp:

IMG_4271.jpg

Mount the trim (can be a bitch) and add a 5/16-18x1/2 button head screw as shown:

IMG_4302.jpg

I decided to do a fish scale paracord wrap which used two 18' cords per grab. Youtube was handy to learn this skill:

https://youtu.be/mKlSPgJolo4
    Last edited by sipafz; 03-18-2018 at 01:38 AM.

DIY Grab Handles - Final Results:

IMG_4284.jpg

IMG_4286.jpg

IMG_4290.jpg

IMG_4298.jpg

IMG_4299.jpg

IMG_4300.jpg

IMG_4301.jpg

IMG_4305.jpg

I ended up buying 2 hose clamps for a $1.50 each plus 4, 18' paracords for $2.00 each for a total of $11. I spent about 12 hours including the R&D and paracord work. I'm thrilled with the results and recommend this project to anyone that is handy!

I like the Paracord. It looks good.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Great job! If I didn't have long term plans for a cage, I'd love to do this

DIY Grab Handles - Final Results:

IMG_4284.jpg

IMG_4286.jpg

IMG_4290.jpg

IMG_4298.jpg

IMG_4299.jpg

IMG_4300.jpg

IMG_4301.jpg

IMG_4305.jpg

I ended up buying 2 hose clamps for a $1.50 each plus 4, 18' paracords for $2.00 each for a total of $11. I spent about 12 hours including the R&D and paracord work. I'm thrilled with the results and recommend this project to anyone that is handy!
    Nice Man! Those look awesome. Very cool DIY.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    I like the Paracord. It looks good.
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteCrystal View Post
    Great job! If I didn't have long term plans for a cage, I'd love to do this
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    Nice Man! Those look awesome. Very cool DIY.

Thanks guys! They turned out better than I thought. The paracord is a nice touch - wife's idea.

Oscar's No Build Thread

Thanks guys! They turned out better than I thought. The paracord is a nice touch - wife's idea.
    Yes sir. I'd love some grab handles similar to this. I love the RH4X4 ones that come with the cage, but won't be getting on for quite some time!

Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    Yes sir. I'd love some grab handles similar to this. I love the RH4X4 ones that come with the cage, but won't be getting on for quite some time!

Great job!

Well, you should give this a shot then! The only special equipment you really need is the pipe bender that you can rent for a few bucks.

Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast