Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Oscar's No Build Thread

Project “Get The Flex Back” started. Since adding my DIY budget boost, I knew that shock extensions would be needed to regain full axel droop and maximize total flex.

I started with taking some basic measurements and spent some time designing some extension brackets for the front shocks. Once I had the concept on paper, I found a 2” x 2” piece of cold rolled steel and cut 2pcs to 3 5/8” long:

IMG_6744.jpg

IMG_6745.jpg

After some layout and milling, it was time use a round over bit to make a nice radius to keep from wearing the brake line:

IMG_6746.jpg

At the Bridgeport, I drilled the mounting holes 2” apart which should produce 2” more shock travel:

IMG_6747.jpg

Back at the heavier knee mill, I continued with machining the features of the bracket:

IMG_6757.jpg

IMG_6759.jpg

The last step was to shape a radius at the top of the bracket at the belt sander:

IMG_6760.jpg

At home, the brackets were installed and tested:

IMG_6762.jpg

IMG_6764.jpg

IMG_6770.jpg

With the sway links disco’ed and body lifted until the front tire just lifted off the ground, I measured 2 3/8” more droop:

IMG_6767.jpg

IMG_6768.jpg

I’m pleased with how the brackets turned out! A little paint is all they need and then I will re-measure total flex with the forklifts again. I also need to investigate whether rear shock extensions would be beneficial.

Machine shops amaze me how cool it is to make such nice stuff. Hey I ordered a set of rear brake line drop brackets and the place sent me two sets. I called them and told them. They thanked me for my honesty and told me to keep them. If you want the extra set pm me your name and address.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JKbrick View Post
    Machine shops amaze me how cool it is to make such nice stuff. Hey I ordered a set of rear brake line drop brackets and the place sent me two sets. I called them and told them. They thanked me for my honesty and told me to keep them. If you want the extra set pm me your name and address.

That’s very gracious of you and thanks! I’m not sure that I would need them since net lift in the back is only 1 1/4”. That might change if I do add shock extensions to the rear. On the front I carefully tweaked the metal lines to give the slack that was needed. I will let you know and thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by sipafz View Post
    That’s very gracious of you and thanks! I’m not sure that I would need them since net lift in the back is only 1 1/4”. That might change if I do add shock extensions to the rear. On the front I carefully tweaked the metal lines to give the slack that was needed. I will let you know and thanks again!
    Your welcome, let me know

Man those look impressive! Nice job.
    Fear the thief of dreams...

Those things look beefy. Well done.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

You keep amazing me man!
    “Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.”

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
    Explore. Dream. Discover."

"Take a compass, because it's always awkward when you have to eat a friend."

Knows a Thing or Two DeJkUnlimited's Avatar
    So awesome you can fab your own parts. I suppose for a machinist it’s not as difficult as it looks, but nice work either way.

Those brackets look great, a lot tougher looking than anything else I've seen!

Quote Originally Posted by BdugJK View Post
    Man those look impressive! Nice job.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Those things look beefy. Well done.
    No crush sleeves required! 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula View Post
    You keep amazing me man!
    Thanks - The dry fit went well as everything lined up. The only tweak was filing a larger radius on the bottom corners to fit the axel brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by DeJkUnlimited View Post
    So awesome you can fab your own parts. I suppose for a machinist it’s not as difficult as it looks, but nice work either way.
    Thank you! It’s not hard, just time consuming. I always keep in mind that these parts are for my $40,000 Jeep so I try to design and manufacture to the same or better quality as compared to what I could buy. I’m lucky to have the time, materials and equipment to support my hobby like this.

So this is what showed on the main screen of my app preview:

IMG_6777.JPG

What was the rest of your question that you didn’t ask? If you think that I don’t like going on and on about about this stuff, you’re wrong 🤣!

Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast