Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Oscar's No Build Thread

Almost time for the soft top?

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    SMH, we are blanked with 18” of snow still. Maybe sometime in May?

Damn you guys are getting pounded. My sister and brother-in-law just moved over to Mequon. It’s crazy how much more winter you guys get on the other side of the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Snow after February =

I’m looking forward to topless weather!

Quote Originally Posted by wjtstudios View Post
    Damn you guys are getting pounded. My sister and brother-in-law just moved over to Mequon. It’s crazy how much more winter you guys get on the other side of the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Sleeting as we speak. We had lunch and did our grocery shopping in Mequon. Small world!

Snow after February =
    We will still get snow in April. Some of the piles will be around until late May. 12 more years until retirement, then let the snow-birding begin!

Quote Originally Posted by Jsouder53 View Post
    I’m looking forward to topless weather!
    Me too! I bought a new bottle of 303 detailing spray the other day with the hopes of using it soon. Might’ve been wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by sipafz View Post
    Me too! I bought a new bottle of 303 detailing spray the other day with the hopes of using it soon. Might’ve been wishful thinking.
    When do you suspect to be taking the hardtop off?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsouder53 View Post
    When do you suspect to be taking the hardtop off?
    Probably not until the end of April.

I suppose you’re trying to figure out when you can put yours back on with your new surroundings and all?

Quote Originally Posted by sipafz View Post
    Probably not until the end of April.

I suppose you’re trying to figure out when you can put yours back on with your new surroundings and all?
    I’ll definitely be putting on as soon as possible! I didn’t get a new yet or anything but I do want a bikini top.

Oscar's No Build Thread

Installed the backup camera. It was pretty straight forward with the hardest part being routing the camera wires with RCA plugs through the small holes drilled through the bumper.

Here’s the camera and harness:

IMG_8453.jpg

I wasn’t sure if I needed this coupler, but of course I did. Picked up a pair at Walmart:

IMG_8459.jpg

I started with plugging the harness into the back of the radio.

I followed the instructions in this link to take part of the dash apart and get access to the back of the radio:

https://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=678054

I also got some good info from this link for doing the wiring and mounting the camera:

https://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=453431

Next I wired in the power connector to the passenger side reverse light. A white wire with gray stripe is the power. Use a 12volt test light to confirm and don’t forget to have the key in the run position, trans in reverse with parking brake set. Test again with the trans in park and you shouldn’t have any power. I snipped, stripped and spliced in the camera power wire:

IMG_8470.jpg

Attach the ground to the tailgate hinge bracket, connect the video cable and make sure everything works.

Drill the camera mounting hole through the plastic bumper cover using the hole saw supplied with the camera. The plastic cover is hollow in the middle so I used a 1/2” drill to make a hole through the second part and wallowed out the hole to make a slot. It was difficult to get the camera wires with RCA plugs through the bumper holes and a pry-bar was needed to get the wires over the metal part of the bumper.

After that struggle, I cut a small slit into the rubber drain plug and routed the power plug to the camera plug, connected and wrapped with electrical tape:

IMG_8467.JPG

IMG_8469.jpg

The video cable took the same route and continued up the passenger side floor, into the dash, up over the glove box an coupled to the radio harness. Add some electrical tape to secure the connections, tuck the remaining wire and your good to go.

Daytime:

IMG_8465.jpg

IMG_8464.jpg

IMG_8460.jpg

IMG_8463.jpg

Nighttime:

IMG_8472.jpg

IMG_8471.jpg

The LED lights really do a nice job brightening the area.

Total cost for this project was $42 and took about 4hrs to complete. The wife’s KK is next.
    Last edited by sipafz; 03-13-2019 at 02:16 PM.

Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast