Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 126

Thread: The Maintaining and Building of Jan the WJ

  1. #1
    Nothing but a Thing Stotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,452

    The Maintaining and Building of Jan the WJ

    In preparation to having my third son a couple of weeks ago we purchased a 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland H.O. so I wouldn't have to drive a mini-van (Jeep - Van, Jan, get it? I refuse to ever pay for a mini-van) full of kids. So here's Jan the day we got her:
    Jan.jpg
    She looks so short...
    JanAndButters.jpg
    She will mostly be a troop transport, but we would like for her to be our go-to camping and towing vehicle as well. It will mostly be maintenance to start, but hopefully I'll get to the fun stuff before long; so here we go...

  2. #2
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    28,808
    Congrats. They truly are an all around great affordable vehicle for camping/exploring and still have a good setup for family and gear. And yes Dynatrac can make a ProRock 44 for one.

    Which engine did you go with? EDIT: Just saw the HO, nice!
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES



    Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

  3. #3
    Nothing but a Thing NecessaryEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,095
    Congrats! You will enjoy the WJ.


    Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

  4. #4
    Old Timer longarmwj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Cumming, Ga
    Posts
    3,784
    Sweet another WJ! And another silver one at that!! They are super capable rigs even with super minor mods. You'll enjoy owning one.
    Captain Imachurity
    2003 WJ Build Thread
    2017 Gobi JKU Build Thread
    2016 Renegade Sport Build Thread
    2019 Compass Sport Build Thread

  5. #5
    Nothing but a Thing Stotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,452

    Front CV Shaft

    One of the first things I noticed was a bad CV joint in the front. Thankfully a new shaft wasn't that expensive.
    CVBefore.jpg
    The hub bolts gave me a little trouble, but two 13mm sockets and a trip to the store for a new one got it off.
    CVPulled.jpg
    Out with the old, in with the new.
    CVCompare.jpg
    New brakes as well since they were grooved out (probably from all the CV grease sprayed on them).
    brakesBefore2.jpg
    All back together.
    CVInstalled.jpg

  6. #6
    Nothing but a Thing Stotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Congrats. They truly are an all around great affordable vehicle for camping/exploring and still have a good setup for family and gear. And yes Dynatrac can make a ProRock 44 for one.

    Which engine did you go with? EDIT: Just saw the HO, nice!
    Yep, I was super excited to find an HO. She's peppy for sure!

    Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryEvil View Post
    Congrats! You will enjoy the WJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by longarmwj View Post
    Sweet another WJ! And another silver one at that!! They are super capable rigs even with super minor mods. You'll enjoy owning one.
    Thanks!

  7. #7
    Nothing but a Thing NecessaryEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,095
    Cool. Sometime replacing worn parts can me just as rewarding.


    Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

  8. #8
    Nothing but a Thing Stotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,452

    Rear Driveshaft Bearing/Seal

    When I got a closer look under her backside I noticed a leaking rear passenger axle seal too. This was a new one for me, but it went pretty painlessly.
    rearAxleShaft.jpg
    Started cutting of the old with the Dremel.
    cutting1.jpg
    More cutting...
    cutting2.jpg
    Pressing on the new seal, bearing, and retainer.
    pressed.jpg
    The brakes were coated in oil and the pads were low anyway so all the brakes were done as well.
    brakesBefore1.jpg
    All back together!
    brakesAfter.jpg
    Changed the fluid too for good measure. It took two bottles of 75w140 synthetic gear oil with 4oz of limited slip additive. The old seal was leaking a little also.
    diffFluid.jpg

  9. #9
    Nothing but a Thing Stotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryEvil View Post
    Cool. Sometime replacing worn parts can me just as rewarding.
    True! I find it rather therapeutic.

  10. #10
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    28,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Stotch View Post
    When I got a closer look under her backside I noticed a leaking rear passenger axle seal too. This was a new one for me, but it went pretty painlessly.
    rearAxleShaft.jpg
    Started cutting of the old with the Dremel.
    cutting1.jpg
    More cutting...
    cutting2.jpg
    Pressing on the new seal, bearing, and retainer.
    pressed.jpg
    The brakes were coated in oil and the pads were low anyway so all the brakes were done as well.
    brakesBefore1.jpg
    All back together!
    brakesAfter.jpg
    Changed the fluid too for good measure. It took two bottles of 75w140 synthetic gear oil with 4oz of limited slip additive. The old seal was leaking a little also.
    diffFluid.jpg
    Looks like you got the rear 44 too, sweet. FYI, that pumpkin is aluminum if you weren't aware. Just an FYI.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES



    Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS