Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Oscar's No Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sipafz View Post
    Installed the backup camera. It was pretty straight forward with the hardest part being routing the camera wires with RCA plugs through the small holes drilled through the bumper.
    That came out great. Nice work.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Fresh Catch
    Installed the backup camera. It was pretty straight forward with the hardest part being routing the camera wires with RCA plugs through the small holes drilled through the bumper.

Here’s the camera and harness:

Attachment 322835

I wasn’t sure if I needed this coupler, but of course I did. Picked up a pair at Walmart:

Attachment 322836

I started with plugging the harness into the back of the radio.

I followed the instructions in this link to take part of the dash apart and get access to the back of the radio:

https://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=678054

I also got some good info from this link for doing the wiring and mounting the camera:

https://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=453431

Next I wired in the power connector to the passenger side reverse light. A white wire with gray stripe is the power. Use a 12volt test light to confirm and don’t forget to have the key in the run position, trans in reverse with parking brake set. Test again with the trans in park and you shouldn’t have any power. I snipped, stripped and spliced in the camera power wire:

Attachment 322837

Attach the ground to the tailgate hinge bracket, connect the video cable and make sure everything works.

Drill the camera mounting hole through the plastic bumper cover using the hole saw supplied with the camera. The plastic cover is hollow in the middle so I used a 1/2” drill to make a hole through the second part and wallowed out the hole to make a slot. It was difficult to get the camera wires with RCA plugs through the bumper holes and a pry-bar was needed to get the wires over the metal part of the bumper.

After that struggle, I cut a small slit into the rubber drain plug and routed the power plug to the camera plug, connected and wrapped with electrical tape:

Attachment 322838

Attachment 322839

The video cable took the same route and continued up the passenger side floor, into the dash, up over the glove box an coupled to the radio harness. Add some electrical tape to secure the connections, tuck the remaining wire and your good to go.

Daytime:

Attachment 322840

Attachment 322841

Attachment 322842

Attachment 322843

Nighttime:

Attachment 322844

Attachment 322845

The LED lights really do a nice job brightening the area.

Total cost for this project was $42 and took about 4hrs to complete. The wife’s KK is next.
    Do you have a parts list or link to the harness you used?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Stewnate View Post
    Do you have a parts list or link to the harness you used?

Harness:

PAC CHYRVD Rear Video Retention Cable For Select Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Vehicles 2008-2012 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051XBNDY..._3GsNCbCWTPRWC

Camera:

Rearview Camera Vehicle Backup... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0792M37V5...p_mob_ap_share

First day of 60 degree weather so I decided to play hooky and left work after a half day. Oscar got a good cleaning and shed the winter gear for the afternoon:

IMG_8549.jpg

My lift sure makes it easy to ditch the top for a few hours:

IMG_8546.jpg

IMG_8548.jpg

Unfortunately the chance or snow returns on Wednesday, 90% chance of 1” to 3” with a high of 37 degrees.

Oscar's No Build Thread

First day of 60 degree weather so I decided to play hooky and left work after a half day. Oscar got a good cleaning and shed the winter gear for the afternoon:

Unfortunately the chance or snow returns on Wednesday, 90% chance of 1” to 3” with a high of 37 degrees.
    Congrats on getting the hard top off! It’s a great feeling we have that same forecast. Image1554769058.306170.jpg it was nice for a few days after putting the soft top on, then got rainy lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jsouder53 View Post
    Congrats on getting the hard top off! It’s a great feeling we have that same forecast. Image1554769058.306170.jpg it was nice for a few days after putting the soft top on, then got rainy lol
    So this is happening:

IMG_8556.jpg

IMG_8555.jpg

It was almost 70 degrees yesterday

So this is happening:

Dang!! It was snowing today but not sticking

So this is happening:

IMG_8556.jpg

IMG_8555.jpg

Yeah, it looks the same here in Detroit. Winters last breathe before summer gets here. At least you had a day with out the top!

2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Image1555014393.684988.jpg this was this morning, after I said it wasn’t sticking

Quote Originally Posted by Jsouder53 View Post
    Image1555014393.684988.jpg this was this morning, after I said it wasn’t sticking
    Spring break and Arizona can’t come fast enough.

Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast