Opinions and Advice on Proposed Wheel / Lift Setup ?

bladeolson

I'm getting myself to want to finally lift and add bigger tires and new wheels... My 2015 Rubicon JKU is Manual 4.10 3.6 currently and stock. Warn Front and Rear Bumpers. I was thinking 35" at first but I figure I might as well go 37" now rather than regret and have to do it again later.

This is sorta what i have been thinking so far...

LIFT: I could use some recommendations?
what is ideal lift here? 4" or 5" ?

Wheels: ATX SLAB
http://www.atxwheels.com/wheel/4368/ax756-slab-for-off-road-use-only
17" x 9"

Tires :
http://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/trail-grappler-mud-terrain-light-truck-tire/
37x12.50R17LT D 124Q

Gears: Any suggestions on brands? or other ratio? I was not sure if this calculator is taking into consideration manual transmission.
http://www.morris4x4center.com/calculators/
5.13 ?

I would totally appreciate some advice.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I'd stick with a 4" lift and flat fenders for 37s. You wheel and tire plans are good in my book.

All gears are made in Korea, though in a recent thread members were complaining about noise from their Yukon gears. I'd find the best deal on a set and go with it. I think you'll be happy with 5.13s.

Yea 4" for sure, i wouldnt do 5"...youd just be increasing your COG for no real reason. You could even get away with flat fenders and a 3" lift. Im always going to recommend the Evo Enforcer, but it all revolves around your budget...

Gears: do what Ty said

bladeolson

Thanks guys. I am.OK spending some coin if the quality is good. Am I missing anything else that would be needed for this enhancement?

Jake Wilson

How much do you plan on wheeling? Rock crawling or mudding? Or just some occasional off-road use? What is your budget?

bladeolson

Ok, I think I made some choices... My Jeep is primarily for off-road adventures.

EVO 4" Double DD
EVO SPEC Shock
ATX SLAB 17"
37" Nitto Trail Graplers
JK Front Axel Truss Dana 44
Real Axel Kit 44 32 Spline
FRONT AXEL SHAFT KIT
FRONT spicer solid 1310 CV Driveshaft
Yukon gear set for Dana 44 in a 4.88 ratio ( the guy at Northridge suggested this gear ratio )
D44 Rubicon Front Master Overhall Kit with TIMKEN

Ok, I think I made some choices... My Jeep is primarily for off-road adventures.

EVO 4" Double DD
EVO SPEC Shock
ATX SLAB 17"
37" Nitto Trail Graplers
FRONT AXEL SHAFT KIT
Yukon gear set for Dana 44 in a 4.88 ratio ( the guy at Northridge suggested this gear ratio )

List looks pretty good. Id spring for a 1350 driveline tho. And possibly consider 5.13 gears if its primarily for off road.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

EVO 4" Double DD
EVO SPEC Shock
ATX SLAB 17"
37" Nitto Trail Graplers
FRONT AXEL SHAFT KIT

Dont forget C gussets

This! If your going to truss the front, I would suggest the EVO truss and C gussets. EVO is a great, American owned and made business. I would also do what Ty said and go with 5.13 gears. Otherwise, your list looks great!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

EVO 4" Double DD
EVO SPEC Shock
ATX SLAB 17"
37" Nitto Trail Graplers
FRONT AXEL SHAFT KIT

Personally, I'd skip the truss and just install c-gussets. A lot of times, installing the truss will cause your axle housing to bend and even if it doesn't if you're playing hard enough, it'll bend anyway. Not that it'll leave you high and dry though. If it were me, I would just save your money and upgrade to a ProRock 44 front axle if and when you might need it much later down the road. Of course, that's just me. Also, I would recommend a 1350 drive shaft. If you have a manual transmission, 4.88 will be a good ratio but if you have an automatic, 5.13's are what you want. If you're being recommended 4.88's with an auto, the guy you're talking to doesn't know what he's talking about.

jeeeep

Hooked
x2 on 5.13 with 37s.
I'm running 4.88 on my 2010 auto and they were great with the 315s (35) but if i had known I'd be running 37s I would have gone 5.13s from the beginning.

bladeolson

Personally, I'd skip the truss and just install c-gussets. A lot of times, installing the truss will cause your axle housing to bend and even if it doesn't if you're playing hard enough, it'll bend anyway. Not that it'll leave you high and dry though. If it were me, I would just save your money and upgrade to a ProRock 44 front axle if and when you might need it much later down the road. Of course, that's just me. Also, I would recommend a 1350 drive shaft. If you have a manual transmission, 4.88 will be a good ratio but if you have an automatic, 5.13's are what you want. If you're being recommended 4.88's with an auto, the guy you're talking to doesn't know what he's talking about.

Thanks guys. This is all super helpful feedback. I am the first to admit I have a LOT to learn. I figure I should invest in the right gear as I am totally on board to make this an awesome rig. I do indeed have a manual transmission. So you guys think 4.88 is ok? or should I go 5.13? Also.... any suggestions on where I should buy this stuff would be helpful? I plan to buy myself and send to my shop for install. My mechanic is a total off-roader himself and WAY more mechanical than I am.

how does the revised list look?

EVO 4" Double DD
EVO SPEC Shock
ATX SLAB 17"
37" Nitto Trail Graplers
JK Front Axel Truss Dana 44 ---> ProRock 44 front axle
FRONT AXEL SHAFT KIT
FRONT spicer solid 1310 CV Driveshaft ---> 1350 drive shaft
Yukon gear set for Dana 44 in a 4.88 ratio
EVO - C-gussets

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I do indeed have a manual transmission. So you guys think 4.88 is ok? or should I go 5.13?

4.88 is okay and it'll get your Jeep feeling like stock again but if it were me, I would recommend 5.13 even with a manual as it will give you a bit more power. You will run a bit higher in the RPM's at highway speeds but really not enough to matter.

Also.... any suggestions on where I should buy this stuff would be helpful? I plan to buy myself and send to my shop for install. My mechanic is a total off-roader himself and WAY more mechanical than I am.

With the exception of gears or anything that requires welding, you really could install pretty much everything yourself and save a ton of money. I have install write-ups for just about everything you're wanting to do and they should help a lot. But, I do understand how things can be for some and if you need a shop to do the work, I might recommend that you order your parts through them. You may find that they can get you a better deal on the total cost but, you definitely want to do your homework to verify as much.

bladeolson

4.88 is okay and it'll get your Jeep feeling like stock again but if it were me, I would recommend 5.13 even with a manual as it will give you a bit more power. You will run a bit higher in the RPM's at highway speeds but really not enough to matter.

With the exception of gears or anything that requires welding, you really could install pretty much everything yourself and save a ton of money. I have install write-ups for just about everything you're wanting to do and they should help a lot. But, I do understand how things can be for some and if you need a shop to do the work, I might recommend that you order your parts through them. You may find that they can get you a better deal on the total cost but, you definitely want to do your homework to verify as much.

Great info! That is super helpful. I think I ay go with the 5.13. Who would not want more power!!!???

I would love to go through the process of installing myself to learn, unfortunately I don't have a nice set of tools and more importantly, my schedule does not give me too much time to work on this kind of stuff. I will certainly ask my mechanic if he thinks he can get a better deal for me. Their shop is pretty big so I assume they get nice pricing. I was sort of assuming shops would tack on additional margin on the parts. I'll see which will be a better deal.

I am super excited about this upgrade, I've been thinking about it for a long time , can't wait. I'm guessing this will feel quite different coming up from Stock. I totally appreciate the help from you guys.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Great info! That is super helpful. I think I ay go with the 5.13. Who would not want more power!!!???

I would love to go through the process of installing myself to learn, unfortunately I don't have a nice set of tools and more importantly, my schedule does not give me too much time to work on this kind of stuff. I will certainly ask my mechanic if he thinks he can get a better deal for me. Their shop is pretty big so I assume they get nice pricing. I was sort of assuming shops would tack on additional margin on the parts. I'll see which will be a better deal.

I am super excited about this upgrade, I've been thinking about it for a long time , can't wait. I'm guessing this will feel quite different coming up from Stock. I totally appreciate the help from you guys.

They all put a markup on parts they buy in to cover their time and delivery if required but they also generally get a pretty good trade discount. Unless the shop is trying to rip you off they should come in slightly less than retail pricing

bladeolson

One last question... Am I going to need smaller fenders with these 37"... I am not closed to changing them but I actually like my anvil color fenders.

Top Bottom