Lift/tire size still fits in garage

Notsodirtyhippie

Trying to decide on lift and tires by I would like to be able to park inside our garage. It's a standard 4 panel garage. 7 ft maybe?

Thanks!

cameronivie

I do believe I have a standard 4 panel and I'm running a 4" teraflex lift with 37" KM2. I'll make sure my garage is that tomorrow. I'll get it in ft :)

Jern26

Good thinking ahead. A friend and I lifted his truck in highschool, spent the whole night putting it on to find out we were stuck in the garage hahaha

Notsodirtyhippie

Thank you cameronivie.

Jern That would be hilarious and terrible. My husband laughs at me because I count garage door panels and get super excited when I see one with 5 panels. Our truck doesn't fit by 3 inches with a 5 inch lift. And it's black so washing it is sorta pointless

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Different garages have different size doors. My last house was kinda short.

JoeB-JKURX

Hardtop or Soft top

I have an OEM soft top. which looks to be about 3" taller than the hardtop. I have a 3.5" lift with 35s and still have close to 2 inches of clearance. I could put 37s on and still fit through the door frame. One thing to make sure of is that the garage door goes all the way up above the frame when open (mine does and is one of the 4 panel doors). Most single panel doors I've seen have a hinge that gets the whole door above the frame. A possible problem with the single frame is that it may hit the spare or the back corner of your top on the way down if you don't have enough room in front to get it out of the way of the door (mine would block the door to the house if I went any further forward).

Coop

Caught the Bug
Man I guess not all garage doors are created equal! I have a 4 panel but have a 3 inch lift currently with 33s and my upper window frame is right at the edge of the opening! No way I could get in with 37s I just got! I have a pic of the tires on my profile.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
3 in. BDS with 35's fits fine but I do have to take the CB antenna off. 3ft fire stick mounted to the spare tire. "Luckily " I don't get to park in the garage that often.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Man I guess not all garage doors are created equal! I have a 4 panel but have a 3 inch lift currently with 33s and my upper window frame is right at the edge of the opening! No way I could get in with 37s I just got! I have a pic of the tires on my profile.

Keep in mind that each 3" lift will give you varying amounts of actual lift. Some will give you close to 3", I've seen some give around 4.5"! Just depends on how much actual lift you see out of your 3" lift.

Scrambler

Good thinking ahead. A friend and I lifted his truck in highschool, spent the whole night putting it on to find out we were stuck in the garage hahaha

Lol. I thought I was the only one in the getting stuck in the garage club.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
3 in. BDS with 35's fits fine but I do have to take the CB antenna off. 3ft fire stick mounted to the spare tire. "Luckily " I don't get to park in the garage that often.

I'm in the exact same situation. I have a JKS lift which netted me 3" of actual lift. I'm on 35" BFGs running 28 PSI. I fit into my garage with a few inches to spare, but have to take my 3' fire stick off to do it. I'm considering getting a spring for it, or maybe even a quick release.

Jern26

Thank you cameronivie.

Jern That would be hilarious and terrible. My husband laughs at me because I count garage door panels and get super excited when I see one with 5 panels. Our truck doesn't fit by 3 inches with a 5 inch lift. And it's black so washing it is sorta pointless

Lol. I thought I was the only one in the getting stuck in the garage club.

Thank god for the stock wheels and tires that were sitting in the corner lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
All garage door headers should measure 7'-0". Of course, what you need to be measuring is where the lowest point of your garage door sits when open. Depending on the kind of opener you have (tracks, screws, chain, torsion drive, etc.), this can be pretty different. That being said, I've adjusted my opener to give me the full 7'-0" but I can still get my JK's sitting on 40" tires in with about 2"-3" to spare.

RjSkippy

I had a friend with their JKU on a 3.5" and 35" test my garage before I lifted (they had KC lights on also) and they were able to sneak it in the garage with an inch or so to spare.

Coop

Caught the Bug
Measured my garage door header at 6'-8". House was built in '52. The CJ3A's must have been shorter back then! Ha! Explains my issues fitting in!

RMC2

Caught the Bug
7' may be a standard height, but 20'x20' is also standard floor space for a 2 car garage. Good luck finding that in a lot of places. The last house in NM was well under 7' and was 18'x18'. This house in GA is in the 7' neighborhood but 17'x17'. Tucson was 20x20 and I think 7'. OK was 23x35 and 7' three car. I couldn't even find a three car here.

Bottom line, grab a tape measure and check, both your garage and your jeep. Even 1/2" can make a difference. I found that out in NM the hard way when i hit the really short header.

Builders cut corners in a lot of ways. And jeeps get built differently. Trust but verify.

Top Bottom