Body mount tire carrier and winch

colo dean

Somewhere back I read an article in a magazine about how they mounted a winch on a body mounted tire carrier. Can't seem to remember where I found it or find the article. With my back the way it is, this is something that I am looking at for future mods. Bear with me as this may get a little long (just the way I am) My current ride is a 14 2dr w/soft top.

Was looking at the Poison Spyder or Evo, only plus to the PS is I don't have to get the skins to be able to mount them like the Evo carrier although that is not a deal braker. Really don't have a preference either way as both seem to be solid units. Anyway, if you aren't familiar with the article, they added a tube to the top hoop and bent it 90* welded a plate to it and added a small ATV ish sized winch to raise and lower the spare tire. My goal is slabs and 35's which will be more than I am able to lift, hence this idea.

Here is where you all come in..... I'm looking for someone that has either of these carriers. What I am interested in is how much clearance there is between the top of the hoop and the soft top roof line. If you don't mind, also state what size tire and if its above or below the top of the hoop. I'm figuring on a small harbor freight ATV winch that looks to be about 6" in height (haven't decided if a fairlead will be needed). Add 2" for tubing and a steel plate, I will need about 8" + room to operate. I want the tube to be long enough it's not on top of the tire but short enough it's not above the roof line if that makes sense. I really have no desire with my rig to go bigger than 35's which should give me a reasonable amount of room between the winch and tire on either carrier.

Hopefully that kinda paints a picture of what I want to do. Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Can't help you with measurements but the article was in JP a couple of months back. Looked like a pretty good setup

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
When I had my genright carrier, what I used to do which was kind of easy, was to get the tire up onto the hitch, then put it onto the center pin of the carrier. The genright for me was much easier to get a tire on than my evo. I now just use an engine hoist when doing rotations at home but I have 37s with slabs which are quite heavy. If not an extra hand from a friend always works.

I would have to say tho that setup is cool with the extra winch and would be nice to have sometimes.

Top Bottom