My Jeep Renegade CB Solution - Midland 75-822 & Wilson Little Wil Antenna

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As I'm sure most of you have noticed, there really isn't a whole lot of good places to mount a CB radio in Jeep Renegade or at least, not safely or even tastefully. And while I'm still kicking around a few ideas about installing something a bit more permanent, I decided to pick up an ultra compact Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio and give it a try. I figured, if nothing else, I could use it as a spare or as a good hand held unit while spotting on the trail but much to my surprise, I actually like it a lot just as a primary CB. In addition to it coming with a small flexible antenna for hand held use, it also comes with a removable rechargeable battery pack and a separate pack that allows you to use standard AA batteries but what makes it really cool is that it comes with a car accessories plug adapter too. And, what really separates it from a lot of other hand held CB's I've had in the past is that on this car adapter is a pigtail that allows you to hook up a standard CB coax antenna cable up to it! Anyway, here are a few pics of it and the Wilson 305-38 300-Watt Little Wil magnetic antenna mount that I got with it. Check it out :cool:
main.php

This is what the Midland 75-822 looks like plugged into the accessory power jack and with the small flexible antenna installed.
main.php

Here a closer shot of what the accessories power jack looks like plugged in and next to the CB coax antenna pigtail extending from the CB adapter.
main.php

main.php

Last but not least, here's a shot of the Wilson Little Wil magnetic antenna placed on the roof of our Renegade. For now, I just ran the coax cable into the cab through the rear hatch.
main.php

For those of you looking for a good CB solution for your Renegade, I hope this post helps to give you some ideas :cool:

JAGS

Hooked
I think you'll be pretty happy with the CB. It's what I've been using since I've had my jeep. I use the outlet and wired to external antenna. [emoji106]

If you tune it folks can hear you. [emoji6]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What are your thoughts on this unit as a solution for a jk?

As far as the CB goes, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be a good solution for a JK. That being said, a JK has a soft top or a hard top that a magnetic antenna wouldn't mount up to and so I would still recommend that you install a hard mounted antenna.

Looks good!

Thanks! We're really happy with it so far.

Tnx...have been contemplating a CB and searching the forum. Your timing is excellent!

Glad to hear it :D

I like this too. Would it work well without the external antenna or no?

It works "okay" with the small flexible antenna. If you're in a small tight group or with just one other Jeep, it'll work fine. If you're looking for some range, you really need a bigger antenna.

http://test.skimlinks.com

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think you'll be pretty happy with the CB. It's what I've been using since I've had my jeep. I use the outlet and wired to external antenna. [emoji106]

LOL!! Never even knew you had one. Glad to know it as you certainly sound okay on the CB :yup:

jmac603

As far as the CB goes, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be a good solution for a JK. That being said, a JK has a soft top or a hard top that a magnetic antenna wouldn't mount up to and so I would still recommend that you install a hard mounted antenna.

Thanks! We're really happy with it so far.

Glad to hear it :D

It works "okay" with the small flexible antenna. If you're in a small tight group or with just one other Jeep, it'll work fine. If you're looking for some range, you really need a bigger antenna.

Sounds good. I'm looking for something that isn't mostly permanent and safe. I'll likely only be using 1-2 times a month.

jesse3638

Hooked

I still have no CB. I usually grab a radio from work and program it with a race radio frequency...haha. What are you running for an antenna JAGS?

JAGS

Hooked
I still have no CB. I usually grab a radio from work and program it with a race radio frequency...haha. What are you running for an antenna JAGS?

Free race radio, that's sweet!!

I have my coax running from the back tailgate and use a 4ft firestick with tunable tip. Run the cable along the back tub up the passenger side and then under the front passenger seat. When I need/want a CB I just screw on my antenna, connect the coax to my Midland and plug it into the 12v on the lower dash. Good to go.

jesse3638

Hooked

I have my coax running from the back tailgate and use a 4ft firestick with tunable tip. Run the cable along the back tub up the passenger side and then under the front passenger seat. When I need/want a CB I just screw on my antenna, connect the coax to my Midland and plug it into the 12v on the lower dash. Good to go.

That's what I was thinking. I just may have to go this route. How much was it?

JKbrick

Does it just screw on where the antenna goes? How does everyone get the coax out the tailgate?

Uncle Jimmy

Now this is what I know about!!! Being a truck driver for 15+ years I've had all kinds of CB's.... And I've ran across all types of antennas... IMHO and professional one too boot.....

A COBRA 25LTD and Francis 4ft. fiber glass antenna running 18Ft of coax will work perfectly on any Wrangler setup!

As for the ones with a hard top you can use a 'lil Wilson' mag mount.... Soft tops a Francis 4ft would be fine as long as u have at least 5-6 inches above your rig it'll work! And you can either do a temp install to your roll bars with duct tape or zip ties for easy on and off!

Uncle Jimmy

Btw... PM if anyone needs any help with selecting CB's and antennas for your rigs set up. I'll try my best too go over pros and cons and when possible I'll do a write up or video of possible installation options!

JAGS

Hooked
Does it just screw on where the antenna goes? How does everyone get the coax out the tailgate?

There is a special attachment point if you use the Midland with a coax vs the handheld antenna. Self explanatory once you actually have the CB in front you. As for install of coax. Did mine similar to the vid, but I did NOT run the coax to the center console. I use the 12v in the dash which on my 2012 is ignition triggered. I use the dash A/C vent to clip the midland on. Built in CB holder (credit Mrs Jags for that). :thumb:

I use this radio in my JK. Had some questions on my build thread about the install so I made a video. Hope it helps.

https://youtu.be/pO4U7RvLyzU

Uncle Jimmy

Just one thing... And this goes for everyone who is installing a CB.... Only time you'll need to ground your antenna is if your running a linear amp for the radio itself.... If your not and I highly recommend NOT too, then just cut the ground wire off or zip tie it back out of the way....

Like I said in an earlier post.... I've had and ran a lot of different setups.... And for off-roading a CORBA 25LTD and Francis antenna are the way to go... It's pretty much buy install and your ready to go!

Nice job on the install!! Very clean!

Top Bottom