Stock speaker replacments

TimOHthy

Idk if anybody else's stock speakers sound horrible but mine vibrate the plastic enclosure pretty bad. I thought they were blown but when I checked them they looked fine. I read that some people remove the cover on the speaker itself but I think I'd rather just replace them and the head unit while I'm at it. Anybody have the same issue and if so does replacing them fix the annoying rattling?

super_c_06

I replaced my stock speakers with mtx Thunder 3 way speakers. Also while I was changing out the speakers, I filled the enclosures with poly fill. Huge improvement. Running factory head unit right now but have a new pioneer on the way from crutchfield.com as we speak. I've heard that just filling enclosures with poly with factory speakers will help a lot. I went ahead and swapped mine out tho since I was already in there.

Spencer11496

One of the cheapest ways to help out your jeeps sound is by taking the speakers out and filling the enclosures with pillow stuffing. However, with how time consuming it is to remove the driver side dash speaker, I would go ahead and replace them with some decent Kenwood or Polk speakers. I went with water resistant ones because Jeep. If you're looking at replacing the head unit, I recommend Kenwood, I've found that they push a few more watts of RMS power than other head units; basically giving you a cleaner, crisper sound.

Spencer11496

I replaced my stock speakers with mtx Thunder 3 way speakers. Also while I was changing out the speakers, I filled the enclosures with poly fill. Huge improvement. Running factory head unit right now but have a new pioneer on the way from crutchfield.com as we speak. I've heard that just filling enclosures with poly with factory speakers will help a lot. I went ahead and swapped mine out tho since I was already in there.

Basically what he said and I second crutchfield, great customer service.

Uncle Jimmy

If your looking for best sound for your buck... I'd go with KICKER audio and a JVC head unit... For a 4 speaker setup and unit you'll be in the ballpark about $300-375.

TimOHthy

If your looking for best sound for your buck... I'd go with KICKER audio and a JVC head unit... For a 4 speaker setup and unit you'll be in the ballpark about $300-375.

Awsome I'll definitely look into it because any bass and it sounds horrible lol I can't take it anymore.

Spencer11496

Yea no problem. Most anything is going to better than stock. I have all new speakers except tweeters, a Kenwood head unit, and two 12" subs and I love my system. It can have a nice flat sound or be really heavy on the bass end and is plenty loud enough to go down the interstate with the top and doors off.

TimOHthy

Yea no problem. Most anything is going to better than stock. I have all new speakers except tweeters, a Kenwood head unit, and two 12" subs and I love my system. It can have a nice flat sound or be really heavy on the bass end and is plenty loud enough to go down the interstate with the top and doors off.

Yeah that sounds nice, yeah without my windows on the wind is so loud and once I have my stock system up loud enough to hear it sounds like my jeep is about to rattle apart haha. Just more places to put money in the jeep I guess lol.

Uncle Jimmy

If your going with a sub of any kind a minimum of a 350 watt amp is recommended.... Even with a built in amp in the head unit will not push enough juice for it to work correctly.... If at all I would say going with 2-5.5 in the front and 2-6x9 in the back or mounted to the top cross bar... Also spend the extra for new speaker wiring... It will be well worth the money!

TimOHthy

If your going with a sub of any kind a minimum of a 350 watt amp is recommended.... Even with a built in amp in the head unit will not push enough juice for it to work correctly.... If at all I would say going with 2-5.5 in the front and 2-6x9 in the back or mounted to the top cross bar... Also spend the extra for new speaker wiring... It will be well worth the money!

Yeah sounds good I'll definitely look into all that. Something to think about.

Scrambler

This is misleading. Get an amp with the correct rms for the sub. Don't just go out and buy a 350 watt amp. You don't power a sub from the head unit. I have never seen anyone use the head unit's rating to power a sub.

Edit: Actually all of this is really misleading. OP, go talk to an audio professional. There are plenty of replacement speakers that fit in the factory spots without having to modify for larger or smaller speakers. There are so many routes you can go with upgrading the sound system. Do your research before listening to any poster on a forum, including me.

Last edited:

FLKEYSJK

I replaced my head unit with a pioneer AVH-X5700BHS and it's a clean looking head unit with some nice features for the money, I also replaced the speakers with some Polk audio marine speakers. If I were to do anything different I would buy the higher end Polk Audio speakers but the ones I have now sound much better than the stock speakers

Spencer11496

This is misleading. Get an amp with the correct rms for the sub. Don't just go out and buy a 350 watt amp. You don't power a sub from the head unit. I have never seen anyone use the head unit's rating to power a sub.

Edit: Actually all of this is really misleading. OP, go talk to an audio professional. There are plenty of replacement speakers that fit in the factory spots without having to modify for larger or smaller speakers. There are so many routes you can go with upgrading the sound system. Do your research before listening to any poster on a forum, including me.

This!!!

Audio is such a vast and potentially confusing world. However, there are sites that are very helpful and useful for those who don't know anything such as this forum.

TangoJk

Just did my third installment of a full set of punch Rockford fosgate speakers. I won't use anything else. We ran new speaker wiring from a motorcycle 4 channel for the components then a 500x1 for the sub. Downfiring 12" RF p3

benatc1

Hooked
I Installed front and rear Polk speakers. They were the DB 650 or something close to that. They are marine certified which is nice, I also installed and alpine amp but no subwoofer. Installed everything though my 430n head unit. Makes a WORLD of difference, especially with the top off

Dwg

I am going to up-grade my stereo too. I want to add a sub as well though. Cost is an issue. Did the JVC unit you got have a signal line for a sub amp? That price is stellar. Can you easily get the model numbers? If it is a pain do not worry about it. Steering wheel controls worked? Pretty easy to install?

Uncle Jimmy

Like Scrambler said... "Don't listen too anyone here and seek out a professional..."

I was trying to pass along info that I had researched and have seen others TRY and FAIL at doing with audio for their vehicles, cuz it funny as hell to watch some one do a complete install and then have it literally go up in smoke do to running the wrong gauge wiring or trying to wire in a sub woofer directly too a head unit through multi channel links and cooking the internals of the radio itself.

Just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom