Anyone use Lizard skin on their tub or hardtop

DGP

I was thinking about removing my carpet and spraying the tub with a bedliner and then I found lizard skin. They make two different types, one for thermal insulation and one for acoustic insulation. I'm thinking it could be nice to spray the tub with acoustic spray and the hard top with the thermal insulation. Anyone have any experience with this product?

WJCO

Meme King
I was thinking about removing my carpet and spraying the tub with a bedliner and then I found lizard skin. They make two different types, one for thermal insulation and one for acoustic insulation. I'm thinking it could be nice to spray the tub with acoustic spray and the hard top with the thermal insulation. Anyone have any experience with this product?

I haven't used that, but I used Herculiner. Love the easy clean up now. I would say overall engine noise is louder, but not bad. Temperature seems the same.

DGP

They say you can actually use both product too if you want heat and acoustic insulation but it looks like it will get expensive quick. I'd like to then put the bed tread in after for easy clean up and wear.

Lizard skin works ok. I have used it on a few off topic builds. Make sure to get the spray gun they sell/recommend to use. It should end up the thickness of a credit card when cured. It works, but like most things. The Prep work is key and would be a total PIA to completely strip the inside of a JK for the in my opinion little bang for the buck/work.

I like dynamat for thermal and acoustic the best out of everything. And is what I would recommend for under your stock carpet.

DGP

Lizard skin works ok. I have used it on a few off topic builds. Make sure to get the spray gun they sell/recommend to use. It should end up the thickness of a credit card when cured. It works, but like most things. The Prep work is key and would be a total PIA to completely strip the inside of a JK for the in my opinion little bang for the buck/work.

I like dynamat for thermal and acoustic the best out of everything. And is what I would recommend for under your stock carpet.

Do you think it would be worth spraying the inside of the hard top? It gets pretty hot in the summer.

el_chupo_

From what I have seen the Lizard skin is good for about 20* difference, but you might do some looking online for a "DIY" version of the product. IIRC, they use ceramic beads for the insulation, and a few hot rod sites I looked at a while back showed people had found the ceramic beads and were mixing those into their own paint/coating for way cheaper, with very similar results.

I have a monstaliner kit to do the inside of my JK as well, but I have been holding off due to the increase in noise and loss of insulation, but I have been considering going back to research mode and using that in the monstaliner to get the insulation aspects with the durability of the liner product.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I'm thinking of trying lizard skin on my hardtop. We recently did some vans at work with both versions and it made a huge difference! I'm not sure the DIY mix would be anywhere near as flexible

geberhard

Douchebag
Dave, did you decide on the direction to go? I have some roll on type liner at home (I think I may have a couple half buckets of Herculiner and some new liner (forgot the brand) in teh box. I removed all of my interior and planning to do roll on fairly soon, but spray on could be a great way to go. I did Herc on a bunch of Jeeps the only downside is the UV resistance kind of sucks and will gray out eventually if exposed to the sun.

jkjouster

Street Smarts PIMP
does anyone know if it is possible to spray the lizard skin on the tub and then spray linex over it? im wondering if i can get the local linex shop to spray the lizard skin as an underlayer to their linex?

Jeepnoub

does anyone know if it is possible to spray the lizard skin on the tub and then spray linex over it? im wondering if i can get the local linex shop to spray the lizard skin as an underlayer to their linex?

Anything is possible... pretty sure they would do it and not guarantee adhesion. Lizard skin appears to be some sort of urethane, as they say you can paint over it. So a urethane based bedliner would probably work best.

Know this is a old thread, But is there any more info on the lizard skin product people have had experience with. I have seen this on a few other forums but nothing substantial to back it up. I plan on using raptor linner soon for the tub. I know the foot wells have a tendency to take on some heat and obviously more noise removing the carpet so going to hit that extra thick, have used raptor nearly everywhere else so far except for main body.

132JKPNW

Know this is a old thread, But is there any more info on the lizard skin product people have had experience with. I have seen this on a few other forums but nothing substantial to back it up. I plan on using raptor linner soon for the tub. I know the foot wells have a tendency to take on some heat and obviously more noise removing the carpet so going to hit that extra thick, have used raptor nearly everywhere else so far except for main body.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but I have done this to two of my Jeeps with great results. They say you can add a liner (forget which kind) over it. I added a simple spray can (rusoleam) bed liner over it so If i feel the need to touch up down the road, I can. Haven't needed to yet. The Sound Control product holds up pretty well (against two labs at least). Prep took a while, as i stripped everything but the dash. Overall for me, was a three day job. Heres some pics.
IMG_3834.jpg IMG_3833.jpg IMG_3829.jpg IMG_3828.jpg IMG_3824.jpg IMG_3822.jpg IMG_3818.jpg IMG_3817.jpg IMG_3794.jpg

Top Bottom