Question change hard top to soft top and back ?

Pavel9934S

Hi

it is possible change hard top to soft top and back?? how price for soft top / hard top for JK unlimited ??

Thanks

Pavel

MTG

Caught the Bug
The factory (and many aftermarket) tops are interchangeable. Not sure on cost but, the hard top is more expensive.

Chairokey

Hi

it is possible change hard top to soft top and back?? how price for soft top / hard top for JK unlimited ??

Thanks

Pavel

Off the top of my head, I've seen some good after market soft tops going for around 600. Also seen people selling their used hard tops for around 2500.

Jersey_Devil

Hi

Thanks

Pavel
Off the top of my head, I've seen some good after market soft tops going for around 600. Also seen people selling their used hard tops for around 2500.

The soft top u can get kinda cheap so I'd look for a jku with a hard top, that way until can get any software top u want.... I went with bestop Trektop NX Frameless top for my summer soft and hard for the winter.... But Chairokey is about right on the money for prices

ForumRunner_20121225_094014.jpg

ForumRunner_20121225_094049.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hi

Thanks

Pavel

If you order your JK, you can get it with what's called a "dual top" option. This will give you both hard top and soft top and, it's what we did when we got our first JK. Doing it this way is the cheapest way to go if you want to stick with factory tops. Changing from one to the other is easy so long as you have a place to store your hard top and have an extra set of hands to help you take it off and put it back on.

msax

One other consideration is the hard top wiring. If you do not get the hard top from the factory u will have to get a hardtop wiring harness for rear defroster and wiper operation.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
If you order your JK, you can get it with what's called a "dual top" option. This will give you both hard top and soft top and, it's what we did when we got our first JK. Doing it this way is the cheapest way to go if you want to stick with factory tops. Changing from one to the other is easy so long as you have a place to store your hard top and have an extra set of hands to help you take it off and put it back on.

This is probably the best option. If I had it to do again I'd have just paid for the dual top kit and been done.

The Best Top soft top I bought was around $900-$1000. Just make sure if you buy from bet top you buy the NX version so it is just like the factory top.

Cheers! :beer:

Gibbo

I ordered my 2010 with both tops. I haven't used the hard top for some time now, I really enjoy the soft top. I have it down or windows out at every chance. Didn't find it any warmer in winter, coarse I don't live where it snows. Then there's my buddy. he ordered the same and has never had the soft top on. Go figure.

Jersey_Devil

This is probably the best option. If I had it to do again I'd have just paid for the dual top kit and been done.

The Best Top soft top I bought was around $900-$1000. Just make sure if you buy from bet top you buy the NX version so it is just like the factory top.

Cheers! :beer:

I bought used and already had a hard top at home so I was looking for soft topped jeep..... The jeep I had before was used also but came with BOTH tops, that's how I had the hard top already when I went shopping this time.... If I was buying new I would went dual top opt too. Makes more sense.

Pushrod

Lightly Used on CL

I was able to buy a factory soft top that was only used for a couple of months on Craigslist for $500. It seems to get more milage than the herd top that came on the jeep. As mentioned the dual top option is probably the best route as the soft top is expensive to ship due to size. I was lucky to find one in driving distance.

Gibbo

Just traded my buddy my near new stock tires for his soft top he never used. Now I have a spare.:thumb:

dluber

I live in Maryland and I've owned 3 Jeeps. I've had a hardtop and soft top for two of the 3, (95 YJ and 99 TJ) and it really worked out well having the hardtop for winter and the soft top for the summer. My new JK 2DR only has a soft top at this time, but I'm watching the local Craigslists postings for a sale on a JK 2DR hardtop. For me, the change from soft top to hardtop was pretty easy but it's a good idea to have some help when installing or removing the hardtop.

GetOut

Mine was soft top only, picked up a JKU feedom top for $900, ordered the wiring install kit for $120. Plugged everything in around 90 minutes and the wiper works just fine, been 3 years now and have never bothered to take it to the stealership to have the defrost option kicked on. Since I am in Michigan now the hardtop goes on for the snowy season. Swapping from one top to the other is usually about a 30 min job for my wife and I.

sapco76

Hard top vs. Soft top

I'm thinking about switching from a hard top and running a soft top all year long. If I do this, I'll probably end up selling my hard top. I guess what I'm looking for is input on pros and cons. I'm in northern California so, the weather isn't a big issue.

I live in North Texas and have the Trek Top NX and ran it all winter even in the snow with not issues. I like having the soft top so that I can turn it into a bikini top anytime I want. Down side is storage space in the back because of the fastback style of the Trek Top.

My hard top just sits in the garage on a cart.

Do it you will not regret it.

R/
Will

Top Bottom